Engine Braking

FYI, the 2WheelDynoWorks ECU flash reduces engine braking significantly. I think the flashed ECU injects a tiny bit fuel on closed throttle to increase rideability.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Guest dmizer
Coming from a long string of carbureted bikes, it took me a lot of time to get used to the lack of engine braking on modern FI bikes. Even the Tracer is pitiful compared to my 1975 Honda CB750 four. I also had a 1995 Honda CB1000 with impressive engine braking. When I bought my first FI bike (a 2006 CB1300), I nearly wrecked because engine braking was nearly non-existent by comparison.

Most of my bikes have been inline 4s: fz-1, zx-9, zx-7, etc and I don't think they had as much. I don't even remember my ST-1300 braking this hard. If I cut the throttle on the FJ, my wife slides forward ;-) the question started because I wheelied inadvertently in 1st; cut the throttle too much, and that engine braking really slammed the front down!   I apologized to my fork seals. My wallet has a smoking hole in it right now, but maybe I'll get the ECU for Christmas.

Brian

• Premium Member
The engine braking seems pretty normal to me, and I've owned and ridden a lot of different bikes. I'm not sure I can really compare EFI vs carbs as the last time I had a carbureted bike as my main motorcycle was 1993.

Sounds like this is a subjective thing. If you come from twins, it's a whole lot better, if you come from 4-cyl or more, it's got more braking, then throw in carb-vs-FI. Don't get me wrong, I think this is my favorite motor of any bike I've ever ridden! Just getting used to it; 1k down, 99k to go  8-) Can't believe I'm getting 47mpg the way I ride as well!

• Premium Member
Seems fine to me.

There again, I'm used to big twins. On the Super Tenere, if you close the throttle the effect is a bit like riding into a brick wall. Scares the bejesus out of other riders if they are following closely as they don't see a brake light, just me tipping into a sharp bend they are totally unprepared for.

As a mate says when following me, if my brake light comes on he knows that the next corner is very tight or some suicidal cyclist is in the way.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived