The Shocking Truth about the Comfort Seat!

oldfart

I saw the Comfort Seat advertised on Ebay for $300 plus shipping so I thought that was a good discount and I’d give it a try. Shocking news….the Comfort Seat is EVEN LESS COMFORTABLE than the stock seat! Good thing there’s a 30 day return policy. (I will admit the passenger seat appears to have more padding than the stock passenger seat, but I'm not buying it for passenger comfort, since I rarely carry one.)  The driver/rider seat is just as hard as the stock seat, a little better looking because of a different cover material and extra stitching, but it’s NOT COMFORTABLE! There is no more foam than there is on the stock seat, and my butt actually hits the plastic pan even more noticeably on this one.    I’m trying to figure out why they call it the “Comfort Seat” instead of the “Different-Cover-But-No-Better Seat!”

Since the reviews on the Seat Concepts seat have been okay, but not raving, I'm not going to jump on that one.  (Please don’t delete my post for saying that).  So....I took the stock seat to my favorite upholstery shop today (they did a fantastic job on my boat) and told them to make it more comfortable but keep the original shape. I’ll keep you posted and we'll see how that works out. But the Comfort Seat is getting boxed up and sent back asap. 

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/BillClawson/Comfort%20Seat%20Stock%20Seat%20Side%20by%20Side%201_zpscrgdbhxz.jpg
above is the Comfort Seat in front, Stock Seat in back. 

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/BillClawson/Comfort%20Seat%20Mounted_zps7siq3lnk.jpg
above is the comfort seat mounted in the high position (sorry about the black background, should have bought a white car) 

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/BillClawson/Comfort%20Seat%20Closeup_zpswagy0n7f.jpg
I like the extra stitching and the look of the cover...but it ain't any more comfortable than stock!

Everyone has and are welcome to their own opinions. You will only have a post moved if you post a competitors info in a thread or board that a supporting Vendor pays for. some don;t understand that, for some reason.

With that said, I agree on the Yamaha comfort seat. Waste of money. But I love my Seat concepts seat. It's an awesome seat upgrade for such a low price. Google Seat concepts and you will see thousands of great reviews on every bike forum all over the internet.

The way that Yamaha shaped the seat, company's like Seat concepts can only make a seat so comfortable. Local seat shops can also be good.

Can I ask how tall you are and how much you weigh?  I am 5'7", 135, and I find the stock seat to be fairly comfortable.  To be fair, I haven't had a lot of saddle time, just got the bike last week and have 200 miles so far.  150 miles all from yesterday.

Can I ask how tall you are and how much you weigh?  I am 5'7", 135, and I find the stock seat to be fairly comfortable.  To be fair, I haven't had a lot of saddle time, just got the bike last week and have 200 miles so far.  150 miles all from yesterday. 

I weigh 160 and find the stock seat acceptable/satisfactory to do the job for most all types of riding, except Long Distance (over 700m/days). I just walked in the house after a 9 1/2 hour 570 mile ride today from Smartville, CA to Vancouver, Wa. I am now at 16,600+ miles on the stock seat. The stock seat is excellent when in the corners.  Even if you have been on it for a few hours and are feeling some pain, the twisties will completely ease the pain you may be experiencing.  I have done multiple day rides with each day between 300 and 570 miles and find the seat fine.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  106,000 m (Lost compression in #2 Cyl.)

I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds and for me the stock seat was uncomfortable, but like many people have said, what works fine for one may not work for the next person.  There is no right or wrong.  Others find the stock windscreen problematic, while for me it works great and I have no intention of changing it at all.  I solved the seat problem (for me, not necessarily for others) by taking the stock seat to an upholstery shop that I had previous positive experiences with.  I told them to add more padding but keep the shape as best they could.  For $50 they did just that, and now I no longer have issues with the seat.  The extra padding, for me, made it quite comfortable.  Others might not like it at all.   

I have the low seat, since I'm a shorty, and it's pretty bad. It's going to get a Luimoto cover and some time with Spencer Seat Mods like the one from my 650r did. If I skip the new cover, I can just get the stock seat re-stuffed for under $80 and have something very comfortable. The 650r had a plank of a seat, and came back to me feeling comfortable enough to do 400+ mile days.

5'9", 132lbs, 34.5" inseam, 3,000mi and the stock seat still makes my dick numb after 15mi or so if I don't move around at all. I was hoping to get the comfort seat at some point, bc I think the Corbin is not great looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I've found the stock seat to be comfortable for shorter distances, but if I'm doing
more than 500-800kms in a day I find I'm forced to stop more often to get a brake from the pain.

Its a good seat, it just sucks for long distance. I will definitely be looking a options as I plan to do some even longer distance trips.

• 6 months later...

"Saw the Corbin seat on YouTube....has someone tested it?"

Gimme about 3 weeks and we'll all know . But I've been pretty happy with every Corbin I've owned, 4 or so. One of them was the best damn seat that I, and several other *very* experienced riders, extolled its virtues. *Easy* to do 700 mi. daze with that one. I sure hated to sell that bike (1984 Honda V65 Sabre) just because of the seat!!

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
4290031.jpg

I have the Corbin seat. At first it was on the hard side and I was squirming at about 200 miles. After about 2000 miles it started to soften up. Plus I bought the Corbin conditioner cream to protect the seat. Maybe that helped breaking it in? The stock seat cut off circulation on my inner thighs due to its hard edge in its design. As far as the look the Corbin looks great on the FJ09. But it's about comfort more than looks. I'm liking my choice with the Corbin. They have a heated option but being in Florida I choose not to get that. Quality is very good. I also got the passenger backrest. Corbin does sell a little bolt on glove box for that. Maybe in my future but for now I'm saving for a Sena 20s.[

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

"Saw the Corbin seat on YouTube....has someone tested it?"

The Corbin on my FJ-09 has been "tested" for about 4,000 miles so far and is great for me.  Yes, it's easy to do 600mi + days if you are used to that sort of thing.  This is my 9th Corbin on a great assortment of motorcycles.  I keep going back for a reason. FWIW:  ergos are an individual thing.  But if firm support is your liking, then it's likely a Corbin will make your hiney happy.  ;)

• Premium Member
Saw the Corbin seat on YouTube. 

Really nicely done review, but that is one of the most hideous motorcycle seats I have ever seen.  Rather typical of Corbin, they make everything like it is going on a custom chopper. 

Archived