New owner in Western Canada

supdawg

I recently made it to the local Yamaha motorcycle test ride day and rode the FZ09, FJ-09 and Tenere. Two days later (next day was Sunday, lol) I committed to a red FJ-09 at the local dealer still crated. Picked it up the next day. 

Great bike especially at its price point. 

It is a second bike to complement a Honda Phantom cruiser.

Did a 500 km (over 300 mile) road trip already. Very enjoyable.

Cheers

I've been enjoying the bike so far. I bought this bike to dip my toe into the touring water as well. It is a less expensive way to see how much I like touring and how much time I can find to do that as well. This means cargo space is needed.

Managed to get the time to decide on some accessories. This forum and the members have been helpful, so thx for all those threads and posts. The FJ hard case side bags are ordered, 3 locks, mounting kit, and heated grips. I'm wondering how long for the parts delivery considering some of the long delays posted here. I'll post when I get it all.

A few more things are on my radar; the 39 litre tail case (hard) from Yamaha (and seat) and the additional electrical outlet.

I recently got a 40 litre tank bag as well and posted a review here. That should give me a fair amount of cargo space for some touring. I look forward to trying it and seeing how much space I need and what set-ups I like.

I wouldn't doubt a few more accessories come my way, but no hard plans at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
Locks and mounts are in.

Ordered the 39L top box, rack and single key operation lock early last week. Everything is in except the top box, which should be here shortly.

Touring accessories are near complete. The bike needs some assembly now.

• 2 weeks later...
The bike got its first service yesterday. Also had some of the accessories mounted.

The top box isn't in, and the rack wasn't in as they had said earlier. Sigh.

The side cases are keyed to the ignition. I wasn't expecting the key lock to be mandatory to open/close the side cases. Thankfully it isn't as much of a pain with it keyed to the ignition.

There is a bit of throttle binding now with the heated grips. I guess to do it right I have to do some of the work. I'll see if I can find the issue.

Here's a quick picture of the bike.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90961&d=1438270036

• 1 month later...
Thx guys!

Sorry about the delay. The top box came in and rack. They are now mounted to the bike. All keyed to the ignition key, which is sooo nice and convenient.

The 39 liter top box does not look very big on the bike, but so far for city riding its space is huge and is excellent.

The dealer also tweaked the heated grips. I hope to test again soon and have no binding when the heat is on.

I'll get some pictures up when I can.

Cheers

Archived