FJ-09 Maintenance Tools

So I just picked up my FJ from the Dealer after getting the first service done.    I knew it was gonna be a bit expensive because of the Sync of the Throttle Bodies.    The Service Rep then told me that this sync has to be done EVERY service in order for the Warranty to be valid?!    REALLY?    The sync is a 200 dollar touch at my dealer.   Makes the total for the service about $375.00 with an oil change, labour and taxes.   Seems pretty excessive to me!    

Has anyone else been told the same thing?  I am thinking I will start doing my own services.   Does anyone know what tools are needed to perform the Sync.    Are they proprietary Yamaha ones or are there aftermarket ones that will do the job.    Even if it costs 4 or 5 hundred for a tool, it would pay for itself quickly.    Cheers

So I just picked up my FJ from the Dealer after getting the first service done.    I knew it was gonna be a bit expensive because of the Sync of the Throttle Bodies.    The Service Rep then told me that this sync has to be done EVERY service in order for the Warranty to be valid?!    REALLY?    The sync is a 200 dollar touch at my dealer.   Makes the total for the service about $375.00 with an oil change, labour and taxes.   Seems pretty excessive to me!     
Has anyone else been told the same thing?  I am thinking I will start doing my own services.   Does anyone know what tools are needed to perform the Sync.    Are they proprietary Yamaha ones or are there aftermarket ones that will do the job.    Even if it costs 4 or 5 hundred for a tool, it would pay for itself quickly.    Cheers
My first service was $180 total. Sounds like your dealer loves money a lot!! I think your dealer is spitting BS. 

• Premium Member
Run, don't walk. Run away from this service department. These are pure lies. 
this sync has to be done EVERY service in order for the Warranty to be valid. 

Absolute rubbish!

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

All fuel injected bikes need to have the throttle bodies synched. This is why I don't let dealers touch my bikes. People think that Dealers are motorcycle experts. ha ha. Some might be, but the truth is that Dealers are mostly just "Talk you into paying too much money" experts. Thats's really all most dealers are good at.

Take your bike to a private bike mechanic. there are good Biek mechanics all over the place and alot of them used to work for dealerships but quit because the dealers pay horribly.

My mechanic did my first TB sync for $45 and he even cleaned and lubed my chain. A dealer wont even change oil for $45 and when he does his flunky $10 per hour tech will probably over torque the Oil filter or Oil drain bolt.

As a follow up question, do motorcycles use a "scan tool" like cars do? Is there a universal one that is available that would do my FJ-09 and my wife's Honda CB500F or do I need to buy a Manufacturer specific one for each bike? I am not that happy with my dealer service dept but they are the only one around for more than several hundred Km (they are also the Honda Dealer). I might need to resort to doing ALL my own service and upkeep on the bikes. I have already ordered a new Motion Pro sync tool for doing the Fuel injector sync. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

While the bike does have a diagnostic hook up it is for a proprietary scan tool but for the life of me I can't think of a time during general maintenance you would ever need to use it.

Don't worry about it, you don't need one for either bike.

Some of the tool supply companies (SnapOn, Mac) in the U.S. are marketing a motorcycle scan tool that is universal across all mcy brands. It's quite expensive however, and doesn't offer the capabilities that either the Yamaha or the Honda system offers. Simple code reading is all it will perform.

You really don't need it for reg maintenance as Sixcharlie said. Only if something throws a code.

-Skip

• Premium Member
All fuel injected bikes need to have the throttle bodies synched. This is why I don't let dealers touch my bikes. People think that Dealers are motorcycle experts. ha ha. Some might be, but the truth is that Dealers are mostly just "Talk you into paying too much money" experts. Thats's really all most dealers are good at.  
Take your bike to a private bike mechanic. there are good Biek mechanics all over the place and alot of them used to work for dealerships but quit because the dealers pay horribly.

My mechanic did my first TB sync for $45 and he even cleaned and lubed my chain. A dealer wont even change oil for $45 and when he does his flunky $10 per hour tech will probably over torque the Oil filter or Oil drain bolt.

I just hit 600 miles, and really don't want to take it to the dealer. Three questions: 1. About how often should the TB's be synched, is it really necessary at 600, and every oil change thereafter? I always thought of the routine changes as oil/filter/chain/cables. Guess its is more than that :(
2. I heard the TB synch for the FJ/FZ-09 is a pain - difficult to reach under the tank requiring special screw drivers for the tuning etc. Does anyone recommend specific tools? One tip I read on the FZ forum was to put extensions on the tubes so they will not be as difficult to reach and unplug/attach to the manometer (or pressure gauge).
3. I'll post this questions on the NE forum, but I though I'll ask here - any good mechanics in upstate NY, in the capital region (Greater Albany area).
I really want to do my own maintenance, especially since I received the bike with chain lube all over the center stand and left side of the rear tire, I know these clowns don't pay attention to detail.

Archived