Lowering FJ-09 with shorter dogbone links. An option??

I'm a vertically challenged rider, 29 inch inseam weighing in at 135 pounds.  I have ridden a combined total of over 100K miles on the two FJR's I've owned without issue.  (I modified the seat to help with the height.)   If I downsize to the FJ-09 I could would be riding a machine 200 pounds lighter than the FJR.  Very appealing!  I sat on the new FJ-09 in the showroom the other day hoping that the narrow seat might make the seat height acceptable for my short inseam.  (Yes the seat was in the low position).  DAMN I was on my tip toes.  The accessory "low seat" only lowers the bike 3/4" and that will definitely not be enough to give me solid footing.   The only options I can see are lowering the fork tubes in the triple tree and dropping the rear with suspension links.  Has anyone tried this on the FJ-09 (or any other bike for that matter.)  I'm concerned about compromising the handling of the bike.  I'm not too concerned about ground clearance in corners because I am so light weight that I don't think it will be an issue.    Any thoughts??  (Screwing 2x4 foot shaped boot soles onto my boots is another option but I'm concerned about foot traction in sandy parking lots :)  Share your thoughts

Unicycle 52

I'm short as well, with a 29.5" inseam, I tip-toe in my boots, with the low seat installed. I am planning on dropping the front end a half inch or so to sharpen up steering, since I run very little slab and like a more sensitive front end. Otherwise, I am leaving it stock, but will play with the shock preload a bit to see how it affects sag. I ma pretty small, and the bike barely compresses when I get on it.

• 1 month later...
is it possible to lower the bike to a seat height of 30 inches...
Stock seat in low position is 33.2" There is a Yamaha low seat: 32 mm lower, so almost 1.3" -> 31.9"

Lowering the bike 2" seems very unwise, it already has low clearance.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I have about 30-31 inseam. I removed foam from under the seat cover and cut about 1/4 inch off the rubber bumpers on the seat pan (if you take too much off it won't fit right). I am flat footed. I have lowered other bikes before and didn't like the handling results, stick to doing magic to your seat. Take the seat to an upholstery shop and they can tailor it to your fit.

I have about 30-31 inseam. I removed foam from under the seat cover and cut about 1/4 inch off the rubber bumpers on the seat pan (if you take too much off it won't fit right). I am flat footed. I have lowered other bikes before and didn't like the handling results, stick to doing magic to your seat. Take the seat to an upholstery shop and they can tailor it to your fit.
Hi Yamaham 
Do you have any pic of your seat mod ? How does the bike looks like after the seat is installed? 8D

Archived