Lowering Kit for FJ-09 in the works.

For what it's worth.  I went to Loudon International Speedway in NH today to test ride an FJ-09 at the Yamaha Demo display.  (Most of the major manufacturers were there with a fleet of their bikes for demo rides.)

Spoke with a rep from Yamaha who is a manager in the accessory and product development promotion department down in Georgia.

He told me that Yamaha is working on a lowering kit for the FJ-09.  Engineering division is working on a kit which will probably be shorter front fork springs with a spacer of sorts that is retro-fitted into the front forks to lower the front end without the need to slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamps.  (Thereby not messing with the steering geometry.)  He said there possibly would be some slightly longer dogbones for the rear suspension to lower the rear.)

DISCLAIMER:  He was very clear in stating that engineering is working on a kit but THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL NECESSARILY BECOME AVAILABLE OR ACTUALLY BE PRODUCED!!!!  He said sometimes these things move forward and other times they don't.  

Just thought I'd share what I heard from the rep.

• 4 months later...
Obviously I am not a suspension expert....but if one lowers the front and the rear by the same amount, how does that change the geometry? Likewise...what difference does it make it you shorten the forks by either using shorter springs -or- by sliding the forks up in the triple tree? The rake is still the same.

The wheelbase change will be so small that it's not noticeable. At rest (with rider) it would be slightly longer (the rear axle is closer to being in a level line that intersects the swing arm pivot). If the wheel travels farther up than stock, the wheelbase with the suspension bottomed will be slightly shorter. But we're talking a few mm.

However you need to lower the front to match the rear or the handing will suffer quite a bit. I've ridden bikes that were lowered in the rear and not the front and they handled terribly. Even putting on a rear tire with a lower profile can hurt handling.

Sliding the fork up can work if there is clearance at the handlebar end and around the wheel. On some bikes the tire (or fender) can hit the bottom of the triple clamp or radiator. The FJ has fairly long forks and the bars are on risers so there may well be clearance. The way to check is to remove the springs so you can run the wheel through it's full travel. Same is true of the rear wheel if you lower it using alternate suspension links.

If there is room for the travel, lowering the bike with suspension links and sliding the fork up would be preferable to using a shorter travel shock and shortening the fork travel. Reducing travel will require stiffer suspension to have the same resistance to bottoming.

Lowering links are available now in the Yamaha accessory section.Shorter springs in the forks and sliding the tubes up the triple tree have the exact same net effect.

Archived