FJ-09 Flash Feedback

Email from one of our customers yesterday

Hi Nels and Pat, 
Yesterday I stopped by to have my '15 FJ-09 ECU flashed with your magic formula electrons cocktail, and left with what appears to be a different, and very superior bike. It looks just like mine, but clearly it is a different unit.
Mine had a very herky - jerky throttle that felt like a combination of unbalanced throttle bodies and a very loose chain, excessive vibration at certain speeds and only a vague differientation between modes.
The bike you sent me home on was clearly different. This one is a wheelie monster with specific and easily controllable throttle response in both accel and decal, instant power, and three clearly different modes.
I had ridden up from Portland to your shop, 200 mi or so, and rode back the same way. In both directions, I encountered the legendary traffic of the greater Seattle area. Basically stop and go between Olympia and Woodenville. On the way there I had a very hard time controlling the bike due to the bad mapping and dreadful fuel cut, on the way home on this new bike I was able to handle the very difficult conditions with ease using the well metered mapping. In fact, this time the "B" mode actually made an appreciable difference as it was actually a "Soft" map that allowed me to feather the throttle and move comfortably along with the dreadful stop and go traffic without any drama at all. the point is that this proper mapping isn't just for sport riding and edge of tire destruction (Well clearly that too!), it is also for the actual mundane issues of coping with the curse of the cagers (Please insert here a plea for legal lane sharing).
Once free of the rolling coffins I began to explore the other modes and... well, even though this is clearly not my bike, I am going to keep it. Please apologize to the the guy who gets my old one.

Victor
Portland, OR

• Premium Member
Email from one of our customers yesterday 

Hi Nels and Pat, 
Yesterday I stopped by to have my '15 FJ-09 ECU flashed with your magic formula electrons cocktail, and left with what appears to be a different, and very superior bike. It looks just like mine, but clearly it is a different unit.
Mine had a very herky - jerky throttle that felt like a combination of unbalanced throttle bodies and a very loose chain, excessive vibration at certain speeds and only a vague differientation between modes.
The bike you sent me home on was clearly different. This one is a wheelie monster with specific and easily controllable throttle response in both accel and decal, instant power, and three clearly different modes.
I had ridden up from Portland to your shop, 200 mi or so, and rode back the same way. In both directions, I encountered the legendary traffic of the greater Seattle area. Basically stop and go between Olympia and Woodenville. On the way there I had a very hard time controlling the bike due to the bad mapping and dreadful fuel cut, on the way home on this new bike I was able to handle the very difficult conditions with ease using the well metered mapping. In fact, this time the "B" mode actually made an appreciable difference as it was actually a "Soft" map that allowed me to feather the throttle and move comfortably along with the dreadful stop and go traffic without any drama at all. the point is that this proper mapping isn't just for sport riding and edge of tire destruction (Well clearly that too!), it is also for the actual mundane issues of coping with the curse of the cagers (Please insert here a plea for legal lane sharing).
Once free of the rolling coffins I began to explore the other modes and... well, even though this is clearly not my bike, I am going to keep it. Please apologize to the the guy who gets my old one.

Victor
Portland, OR
Sounds very convincing. Are you not planning a franchise or agents in the UK?

• Premium Member
Correct, we offer our mail in ecu services to all, doesn't need to be done in person.
Thanks, I've considered the option, but shipping the ECU from London and back might mean customs delays and I don't really want to be without the bike that long. Twice a year I spend a week in New York and I might bring it with me next time. Would it require any development work? I assume we have different factory settings in Europe; for a start we don't have a speed limit. Or do you simply flash the complete memory and load fresh settings? If I do bring it to New York, would you be able to book a slot so I know I can ship it to and have it back four days later?

• Premium Member
I shipped out my ECU to Nels last Monday and got it back on Friday, shipping across the country from NC. This flash brings about an amazing transformation for the FJ-09. One word...smooth. The power, in Mode A, Std or B is rheostatic like. I've done probably 30+ track days but as one who now enjoys touring, this new power delivery is how it should have come from the factory. Careful brake to throttle transitions are now an afterthought, as it simply happens on it's own. No snatchiness. 

What I don't understand is that the buzziness and coarseness in the engine from 4300-4800 RPMs is now gone! I don't understand it. With about 3000 miles on the bike now, everything is getting better and smoother including the suspension, but this reflashed has completed the transformation. If you've been disappointed at all about the power delivery characteristics from this CP3 engine and yearn for the smoothness of an I4.....THIS IS THE MOD TO GET!!!! Some might question the price tag of $350.00 to smooth out the throttle, remove the 115 MPH limiter, lower fan ON temperature, etc. But riding the twisties of NC and WV for days on end with wash out and pea gravel in many of the turns, this reflash could save your bacon when smoothness is ESSENTIAL when dealing with these unexpected factors along the way.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Correct, we offer our mail in ecu services to all, doesn't need to be done in person.
Thanks, I've considered the option, but shipping the ECU from London and back might mean customs delays and I don't really want to be without the bike that long. Twice a year I spend a week in New York and I might bring it with me next time. Would it require any development work? I assume we have different factory settings in Europe; for a start we don't have a speed limit. Or do you simply flash the complete memory and load fresh settings? If I do bring it to New York, would you be able to book a slot so I know I can ship it to and have it back four days later?
When ECU's show up they're flashed and mailed out within 24 hours. As far as the differences, there are still gains to be had. 

I shipped out my ECU to Nels last Monday and got it back on Friday, shipping across the country from NC. This flash brings about an amazing transformation for the FJ-09. One word...smooth. The power, in Mode A, Std or B is rheostatic like. I've done probably 30+ track days but as one who now enjoys touring, this new power delivery is how it should have come from the factory. Careful brake to throttle transitions are now an afterthought, as it simply happens on it's own. No snatchiness.  
What I don't understand is that the buzziness and coarseness in the engine from 4300-4800 RPMs is now gone! I don't understand it. With about 3000 miles on the bike now, everything is getting better and smoother including the suspension, but this reflashed has completed the transformation. If you've been disappointed at all about the power delivery characteristics from this CP3 engine and yearn for the smoothness of an I4.....THIS IS THE MOD TO GET!!!! Some might question the price tag of $350.00 to smooth out the throttle, remove the 115 MPH limiter, lower fan ON temperature, etc. But riding the twisties of NC and WV for days on end with wash out and pea gravel in many of the turns, this reflash could save your bacon when smoothness is ESSENTIAL when dealing with these unexpected factors along the way.
Thanks for the feedback!

When ECU's show up they're flashed and mailed out within 24 hours. As far as the differences, there are still gains to be had. 

Thanks for the feedback!
I can't wait to get this done next month, I just ordered my Ixil exhaust. I don't mind riding the mountains in B mode for the smoother response, there's just times when I need the snap of STD or A mode but can't deal with the jerkiness.

• 4 weeks later...
Coming from carb'd bikes and doing all my own rejetting and/or air intake and exhaust. My question is if I send in my ECU for flashing on a stock bike and then later on decide to get an aftermarket exhaust or do some air intake mods do I have to have the ECU flashed again for whatever mods I do?

Guest branthopolis
Coming from carb'd bikes and doing all my own rejetting and/or air intake and exhaust. My question is if I send in my ECU for flashing on a stock bike and then later on decide to get an aftermarket exhaust or do some air intake mods do I have to have the ECU flashed again for whatever mods I do?
Any significant air/fuel mod would benefit from a reflash.. 

So you're saying it would need to have a  reflash after doing additional mods? 

• Premium Member
So you're saying it would need to have a  reflash after doing additional mods?
Yes, unless you specify the fuel map initially when flashing, you will have to send it in again. Some places charge for the additional flashing, while Nels does not. Additionally, when Flashtune comes up with a way to flash a cruise control, you will need to have it flashed yet again. Nels does not charge for the additional flash either.
Just FYI, YMMV>

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks guys. So I guess the best thing to do is make all the engines mods first and then tell him what you have done (eg: what exhaust system and anything else...) before sending him the ECU? 

Archived