Oxford X40 tank bag review

I recently picked up an Oxford X40 tank bag. I wasn't thrilled with the other options posted; I wanted a tank bag that was modular with a variety of size options through expandability. And the option of great capacity, all with a relatively good look on the bike, not a chicklet style tank bag per se. I've seen the Oxford X40 before and really liked it. Lifetime warranty is a nice bonus. But I didn't know if it would work on the FJ-09. 

The dealer let me order it in and check for bike fit before buying. That was great news so I did that, and I'm now in the process of evaluating the X40 on the FJ-09. Here are my initial review thoughts.

So far so good. I like the more broad look/design of the bag. Being expandable to 40 litres means it can carry a lot for touring, while it collapses to a great size for around town. I like having multiple compartments so you don't have to go digging in a single large compartment for small things. The magnets are strong and I'm using just the magnet attachment for my riding around town so far. Not having to use straps makes the tank bag uber portable which I really appreciate. The bag is not impinging on my riding position, but it does rest just up against me. I will also try the bag backwards as it doesn't really matter which way it sits on the tank (if not using the straps) and that may work even better.

I'd expect the Oxford X40 to also make a good tail bag, so I plan on seeing how good of an option that is. I'm hoping for this type of flexibility in use on the FJ-09 which would give even more utility to the X40, with its great capacity and expandability. I'll report back when I get some time to try it.

I don't have enough time with the Oxford X40 on the FJ-09 yet to give a solid recommendation as I just got it. But with some time I'll post added experience and feedback. It looks very promising.

Here are a few pictures of the set-up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=89393&stc=1&d=1434831863

attachment.php?attachmentid=89401&stc=1&d=1434831863

attachment.php?attachmentid=89409&stc=1&d=1434831863

attachment.php?attachmentid=89417&stc=1&d=1434831863

I'd be more interested in seeing it as a tail bag... IMHO that's too much bulk right under my chin. I like my tank bags to be pretty minimal, if I run one at all.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I see little point in a small tank bag and would rather not buy a tank bag if it was only small. There are other ways to carry small amounts of cargo imo.

I bought the Oxford X40 with touring in mind and some long trips, so my priorities are capacity and function. The nice thing is that it isn't a large bag when collapsed. And when expanded a person can rest on the bag during a long ride, providing some additional ways to get comfortable and move around on the bike. Collapsed it is a good size for day to day. Expanded, and there are 2 expansion areas, it gives two capacity options and that ability to rest on.

I found a recent tank bag magazine test. 
[url=]http://www.motozone.co.nz/resources/products/14394-34.2107/ride-magazine-tankbag-test-special-july-2014.pdf

[/url]Oxford has smaller options for those who want that. There is another member here who posted on the X30, though it appears he moved on from it. 

I guess this is a good example of YMMV... :)
Holy cow I just went to that link - I didn't realize it got even bigger vertically. Good thing I don't like resting on a bag while I'm riding. Personally I feel that would be an impediment to me; some of the bags in that article look like they completely block the instrument cluster., too I just don't want/need that much 'baggage' directly in front of me if I don't need to get to it. Maybe if the bike was completely loaded down behind me too and I just had to add more luggage with no more options...
As I said... your mileage may vary. Something this big just isn't for me.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Archived