• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 58 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rifle Windshield

zimbob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Maybe its my helmet that is just loud. (Shoei Quest)
I have the same helmet. 
I wonder how much of a factor this has been in my quest (heh) for quiet. It seems like even a bit of wind hitting the helmet/visor seam on the Qwest leads to a considerable amount of wind roar. I wonder if other helmets are significantly different in this regard? Maybe it's a function of how high the seam starts on the helmet; maybe it's a question of angle; maybe it's a question of gasket material; maybe it's a function of the vents on the helmet (I close the top one, which is noisy, and leave the side ones open generally).

Would be curious to see a magazine, or anyone really, do some wind tunnel tests of helmets to determine not just how quiet they are, but where the noise comes from in each. The Qwest, being a "touring" helmet, may be quieter than most behind a full windscreen, but noisier if it's getting any air at all? Some helmets may be quieter if the rider is in a more sport-bike position, and noisier upright, or vice versa?

Does anyone have any insights on this?

For reference, my full setup is Shoei Qwest, 24" Madstad, earplugs inserted all the way in my ear canals, and "Windjammer 2" around the base of the helmet (which makes a big positive difference in noise but a negative one in airflow!).

• Premium Member
Maybe its my helmet that is just loud. (Shoei Quest)
I have the same helmet. 
I wonder how much of a factor this has been in my quest (heh) for quiet. It seems like even a bit of wind hitting the helmet/visor seam on the Qwest leads to a considerable amount of wind roar. I wonder if other helmets are significantly different in this regard? Maybe it's a function of how high the seam starts on the helmet; maybe it's a question of angle; maybe it's a question of gasket material; maybe it's a function of the vents on the helmet (I close the top one, which is noisy, and leave the side ones open generally).

Would be curious to see a magazine, or anyone really, do some wind tunnel tests of helmets to determine not just how quiet they are, but where the noise comes from in each. The Qwest, being a "touring" helmet, may be quieter than most behind a full windscreen, but noisier if it's getting any air at all? Some helmets may be quieter if the rider is in a more sport-bike position, and noisier upright, or vice versa?

Does anyone have any insights on this?

For reference, my full setup is Shoei Qwest, 24" Madstad, earplugs inserted all the way in my ear canals, and "Windjammer 2" around the base of the helmet (which makes a big positive difference in noise but a negative one in airflow!).

I would have to go with the helmet choice being loud. I am 6'4" with a 32" inseam, a Corbin saddle, a Madstad 22" windshield and my helmet is a Nolan N-104 Evo. I ride with the chinbar up and listen to music on the N-Com B-5 Bluetooth system....which is no powerhouse.....adequate, but no powerhouse. I can clearly hear my engine with little to no wind noise. The Madstad is in the most upright, forward position and still gives me air across my torso at road speed. No buffeting either. YMMV.... 

I think the windshield is a huge factor. I had a Palmer windshield on my Tiger 1050 and the airflow behind it was absolutely silent! I wear a Shark Evoline which is by no means a quiet helmet but behind that windshield it was quiet. I have noticed the same thing, dare I say, on my friends BMW GS. Say what you like about BMW but they get the aerodynamics of making a small windshield work well. Of course at 5'7'' I don't have the challenges of you taller guys

• Premium Member
Say what you like about BMW but they get the aerodynamics of making a small windshield work well. Of course at 5'7'' I don't have the challenges of you taller guys
Eventually.

It took multiple iterations of the GS before a bike with a decent screen came along with the R1200GS.

The screen on my R1150GS was awful and there were all sorts of modifications available. I used the Tobinator brackets. Otherwise a great bike that I owned for a decade. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Suddenly, the forum develops an inexplicable and insatiable desire to eat pancakes!  :D 
b2a32560663404949519336d5619b9e3.jpg
? missing the reference here. That looks like Singapore.
The windscreen looks like a spatula. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUYs3aK5Zz5UMU38QDjq8U7aDo7eI_U6znqINhaaXOB3kUD2GFnA
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived