Thoughts on this awful wind noise

Is this what Ermax calls the standard or tall screen? Would you measure form the middle of the top mounting screws to the top middle of the screen?
Thanks

I have the Ermax Touring standard in the lowest position and added the Medium Puig deflecter. I have found this combo, for me, is
just about perfect. I'm 5' 10" and the wind noise and turbulence is almost non existent to at least 75mph. Just my experience.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(Hmm.  I have a decibel level meter in a box somewhere.  If I can figure out some way to mount it behind the screen, and some way to read it without killing myself, maybe I can even make it somewhat scientific.)

Maybe use a smartphone app that measures sound levels ? 

• Premium Member
Try out this one, free download. I use it when I run A/V and sound at church. I use the Lite (free) version.

3Qb4XoahsvfZkccCQR1Do55JaZgUcDLfvCHdwad_79ebL0LOLB8MtKkG3mq4BpHM8mo=h900
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Is this what Ermax calls the standard or tall screen? Would you measure form the middle of the top mounting screws to the top middle of the screen? Thanks

Hey basstodave, its neither, it is actually called the Ermax touring screen, and you can find it at advdepot here.  I can't express how awesome these guys are to deal with, they will bend over backwards for you and are so close to home for me.  If you still need the measurements tomorrow I could probably grab those for you during daylight hours.  i've been contemplating the puig addon, but its soo pricey I will probably wait a bit.

I tried putting some spacers under the top screws to make the shield more vertical. Took a trip around the block, that's about as far as I could make it. It was unbearably loud. After riding without the screen I forgot just how awful it is with it. If I slouched way down a I could get under the turbulence and it wasn't bad at all. But you'd have to be fairly short to actually stay in that position comfortably. Took the screen back off and it was bearable sound wise, but not great. But anything over 65 was to much work with the wind to be very enjoyable. One of the main reasons I got this bike over naked bike was for the screen protection. This has become a very frustrating ordeal. I traded a stratoliner s for this bike, which had amazing wind protection. I could wear a half helmet with no plugs on that bike comfortably.

I like the look of this shield for a touring shield, does anyone have experience with it?
http://parabellum.com/FJ-09-Replacement-Touring-Windshield-P124.aspx

I'm so hesitant to get a shield that might not actually solve my problems. $200 for a cut out piece of plexiglass that doesn't even include any form of a mount is pretty ridiculous all things considered IMO. But if it solves this sound turbulence problem and lets me really enjoy the greatness of this machine it may be well worth it.

Guest branthopolis
I tried putting some spacers under the top screws to make the shield more vertical. Took a trip around the block, that's about as far as I could make it. It was unbearably loud. After riding without the screen I forgot just how awful it is with it. If I slouched way down a I could get under the turbulence and it wasn't bad at all. But you'd have to be fairly short to actually stay in that position comfortably. Took the screen back off and it was bearable sound wise, but not great. But anything over 65 was to much work with the wind to be very enjoyable. One of the main reasons I got this bike over naked bike was for the screen protection. This has become a very frustrating ordeal. I traded a stratoliner s for this bike, which had amazing wind protection. I could wear a half helmet with no plugs on that bike comfortably.  
I like the look of this shield for a touring shield, does anyone have experience with it?
http://parabellum.com/FJ-09-Replacement-Touring-Windshield-P124.aspx

I'm so hesitant to get a shield that might not actually solve my problems. $200 for a cut out piece of plexiglass that doesn't even include any form of a mount is pretty ridiculous all things considered IMO. But if it solves this sound turbulence problem and lets me really enjoy the greatness of this machine it may be well worth it.

Straight from their website...    "Try a Parabellum Windshield at our Risk for 30 Days"      You should give them a call and see what the terms are..   Parabellum has been around a long time and has a good reputation.. 

Hey basstodave, its neither, it is actually called the Ermax touring screen, and you can find it at advdepot here.  I can't express how awesome these guys are to deal with, they will bend over backwards for you and are so close to home for me.  If you still need the measurements tomorrow I could probably grab those for you during daylight hours.  i've been contemplating the puig addon, but its soo pricey I will probably wait a bit.
If it isn't too much trouble then yes, I would like that measurement.  

Wow! Your expectations are unrealistic to compare the FJ-09 to a Yamaha Stratoliner. These are two VERY different types
of motorcycles. They are built from the ground up to satisfy a very different target audience. You will need to lower your expectations
if you expect to enjoy this very different, but fantastic, sport touring motorcycle.

Not comparing to the strat just noting what I'm coming from. I also have a naked sv650 which is FAR quieter. I don't expect the FJ to ever be like the strat, but I excpect it to at least be as quiet as a naked bike seeing as how it's faired with a screen... If it's a sport tourning bike you should be able to tour on it, which means you need a shield at anything over liek 60mph for any level of comfort. I just want some protection without going deaf (yes I've tried earplugs and it's still unbearable), not looking to turn it into a goldwing.

I'll probably try the parabellum seeing as how it has a 30 day risk free policy, thanks for pointing that out @branthopolis!!

How is this screen for you without the Puig deflector? Is the deflector the main factor in the turbulence for you or is it still pretty good with just the screen?

I have the Ermax Touring standard in the lowest position and added the Medium Puig deflecter. I have found this combo, for me, is
just about perfect. I'm 5' 10" and the wind noise and turbulence is almost non existent to at least 75mph. Just my experience.  

Is this a valid request as follows? We are all trying to make our riding experience on the FJ better by experimenting with different windshields. So when you tell us which one you bought and installed please measure from the top of the instrument housing to the top of the screen with it in the lowest position. Then I can take that and roughly determine if my results will be similar if I install the same screen. The manufacturers listing the overall length doesn't tell me the length from the top screw to the top of the screen, and I think that matters as much as the overall shape.

Not comparing to the strat just noting what I'm coming from. I also have a naked sv650 which is FAR quieter. I don't expect the FJ to ever be like the strat, but I excpect it to at least be as quiet as a naked bike seeing as how it's faired with a screen... If it's a sport tourning bike you should be able to tour on it, which means you need a shield at anything over liek 60mph for any level of comfort.
Comfort is overrated.  ::) I put 45K km on a naked SV650S (street fighter'ed after a deer hit it/me), and 50 K km on a naked 675 Street Triple R. 90 % of that was touring. The secret is Back Roads. Period. 8-) I hate interstate style roads on a bike.

On my FJ-09 I'm happy with my CalSci shorty windscreen. I get a bit of turbulence on the bottom inch on my helmet, so I may cut down the screen 1." If I was a little taller and/or put the seat in the high position, it would be completely clean air.

I also just installed a 20" Madstad (I'm 5' 7" tall.) That I can adjust to get completely quiet air, or lower and tilt it back (5 second adjustment), to get lots of clean air. It's a bit expensive, but good quality and has lots of adjustment: height & tilt.

Swapping between the CalSci and Madstad screens takes about 10 minutes.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Deerslayer. Did you take measurements as outline by Madstad before you bought their 20" screen? If you did what height is your chin from the top of the instrument housing? Thanks
I can't remember, but it suggested either the 18 or 20" for me. Another forum member about the same height as me got the 20, so I did too. It's the right height for me. I can measure again tonight if you want it...

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Deerslayer. Did you take measurements as outline by Madstad before you bought their 20" screen? If you did what height is your chin from the top of the instrument housing? Thanks
I can't remember, but it suggested either the 18 or 20" for me. Another forum member about the same height as me got the 20, so I did too. It's the right height for me. I can measure again tonight if you want it...
Yeah, if you could measure that would be great. I'm 5'6" but I have long legs in relation to my torso and you could be the opposite. I ride with the seat in the low position also. The Madstad is expensive and I want to find the right cure for these windscreen blues. Thank you

Archived