Thoughts on this awful wind noise

The conclusion to be drawn from my amateur findings is that the screen needs to be wider."

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/1748/thoughts-on-awful-wind-noise#ixzz3e0oTp3z8

Very interesting, has anyone been in contact with official rep. on how they developed the screen? Sure they must have done a lot of testing, would be nice to see the records!

I am 6'2" and have a brand new schubert C3 pro. With the screen in lowest position th wid hit me in upper chest area and in high pos. it hits around lower helmet.  Doesn't fell any change in noise.
Will try to block front of helmet with my hand next time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't find any tech.info on the screen. I can ask in the uk-forum.
Here is another comment from the same forum:

I've got zero patience, so I caught a break in the rain to have a quick test run.
I was using my Shark Raw helmet as I thought that would show up more wind issues compared to my Schuberth C3 Pro.
Also, we've got 20-30mph wind gusts today.

First part of the run was along an A-road with trees on either side, so this might have cut the windy conditions down a bit. Would have been a bit of a tail wind.
Low speeds (30-40mph) were absolutely fine. No wind or turbulence.
I noticed on a recent run with the stock screen, that the wind noise would make you think you were doing a pretty high speed, then you look down and you're only doing 65mph.
On my test, I was looking down and thinking "am I really going that fast!".
Helmet was just going through clean air, so only noise was what you would expect with the type of helmet.

I also play music through earbuds to cancel out wind noise.
With the stock screen, the music would be drowned out at around 70mph.
I got a fair bit over 70mph and I could still sing along to my favourite songs.

The run back was in to a bit of a side wind.
I was still able to get the speed up and enjoy the music.
I did feel the wind resistance on my shoulders though...but that's a whole lot better than being deaf.

So, I think I'm gonna keep the small screen on.
My commute to work in normal conditions will be the real test.

I do think it suits the bike too.

Yeah, if you could measure that would be great. I'm 5'6" but I have long legs in relation to my torso and you could be the opposite. I ride with the seat in the low position also. The Madstad is expensive and I want to find the right cure for these windscreen blues. Thank you

Below is mine and the one I ordered form advdepot.  I'm 5'6 as well and it has removed the buffetting.  I still get a lot of wind noise, but finally picked up my sena 20s and it makes that more bearable.  Those speakers are way better than my cheapo shark speakers. I can tuck a bit behind the windshield and it is near silent.  I tested this on a long highway ride and realized what another poster on hear said about engine noise, this thing sounds great with no wind noise.  To answer your question it looks like about 13 inches from the top of the screws and about 11 from the windshield stabilizer (not sure what its official name is). 
image_5.jpg

Yeah, if you could measure that would be great. I'm 5'6" but I have long legs in relation to my torso and you could be the opposite. I ride with the seat in the low position also. The Madstad is expensive and I want to find the right cure for these windscreen blues. Thank you

Below is mine and the one I ordered form advdepot.  I'm 5'6 as well and it has removed the buffetting.  I still get a lot of wind noise, but finally picked up my sena 20s and it makes that more bearable.  Those speakers are way better than my cheapo shark speakers. I can tuck a bit behind the windshield and it is near silent.  I tested this on a long highway ride and realized what another poster on hear said about engine noise, this thing sounds great with no wind noise.  To answer your question it looks like about 13 inches from the top of the screws and about 11 from the windshield stabilizer (not sure what its official name is). 
image_5.jpg

Thanks for the post. OEM screen is 11" from the top screws. Your Ermax is 2" taller. I am looking to nearly eliminate the noise. I don't think an additional 2" alone will give me the dramatic change I'm looking for. Maybe an additional spoiler on the lip would help though. Also reading that the shape of the OEM screen is perhaps the greater reason for the noise? I'm leaning toward the Madstad but had a spoiler on my Versys that made the installed MRA screen work like magic.  

Several members added the puig clip on to the ermax touring (this one i think), and said it has pretty much eliminated the noise.  I wish it was adjustable so I could have clean air on most rides and no noise on long rides.  Its not hard to remove a screen, but I wish there was more adjustability in the stock setup.

Edit:

I took a picture of the stock in front of ermax lined up best i can.  it is not only taller but wider and seems to offer more protection.  Based on my research at the time it seemed to be the best for my height without sacrificing looks or the handguards (it does touch but barely and doesn't hinder usage). 

image_6.jpg

IMAG0237_zpstar0skz4.jpgIMAG0236_zpsxlac8v9y.jpg

I mocked this up real quick tonight. The good new: It's super easy to make a small windshield, which makes it even more insane the prices they charge for a tiny piece of plexiglass that was probably laser cut and took a few minutes to make.

The bad news: It didn't seem to improve anything for me and was probably slightly worse the nothing. I made it wide as a previous posted mentioned this might help things but it didn't seem to for me. If i sat up real straight I could get out of the turbulence but if i slouched or relaxed i was in it. It was a matter of a few inches change though. Which makes me think that maybe this screen was just enough to raise the turbulence up to my helmet where it was maybe at my chest without it. Sitting up as far as I could felt like clean air and wasn't horrible. So I've concluded I either need nothing, might try and shorten this shield even more, or a huge one that makes everything over my head. Or some other option that hasn't been mentioned yet. I wonder if the width would change it. That small one that was just posted that people seem to have success with is much more narrow, but it's also higher, which makes me think it would just raise up the wind to hit me in the eyes instead of the mouth/neck.

Any input on ideas to maybe change this windshield to improve? Or am I stuck with just having to go large?

author="@illies17"  
Any input on ideas to maybe change this windshield to improve? Or am I stuck with just having to go large?

Nice try, maybe mount some kind of vacuum cleaner behind it to suck away the air?

Try to make it wider, seems like that is a direction worth trying.

It's very difficult to compare all the experience from the forum, since every driver is unique.

I can't remember, but it suggested either the 18 or 20" for me. Another forum member about the same height as me got the 20, so I did too. It's the right height for me. I can measure again tonight if you want it...

About 5.5" from the base of my helmet to the top of the gauge cluster. I say 'about' because my level isn't long enough to measure that accurately. I used to be a land surveyor, so I take accuracy seriously. :D

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I took a ride on my naked SV650 tonight. Couldn't believe how much quieter that naked bike is over the FJ. The only noisy thing under 65mph is the exhaust and pretty much nothing else. No hint of sounding like someone is playing windy drums on my helmet. How can a fairing and windshield be so much louder then completely naked?! If I could just get my FJ to the same level as a naked bike I would be happy with that at this point.

Archived