Struck on my FJ-09 by a SUV

sean0262

Hey folks, I hope your all enjoying your FJ-09s this riding season. As for me, my riding season is over for the next 6 months or longer. on the 27th of May I was T-boned at a round-about. I was struck on the right rear of my FJ as I was transitioning out of the round-about. 3/4 of the way though, then wham!!! I went flying. I was thrown 8 to 9 feet in the air and 30 feet away. Landing on my upper back, shoulders and head. Indiana is a helmet free state. However I wear one anyway. And it's a good damn thing. Because my helmet has a 3 inch long crack up the back, broken exhaust vents and road rash all over it. Once I hit the asphalt I slid a few feet before rolling over to the left the face down. then I hit an 8 inch concrete curb with the left forehead of my helmet. Flipping me over in the air onto my back. At about 2 to 3 feet off the ground I was stopped cold by 2 sign posts. then dropped to the ground. I tried to get up. But couldn't. That's when all the pain hit me at once. The guy who hit me was apologizing profusely. Said it was all his fault (ya no s#@t) and that he just didn't see me. I feel bad now because I called the PDF every name in the book. Needless to say. Things are not well. Now that skin has grown back over my wrist bone and knuckle joints. And most of my road rash has healed, I'm off to surgery on my left foot and ankle on June 25th. Recovery time is between 12 to 16 weeks Doc says. However 4 weeks or so from my surgery. I will be having surgery on my right shoulder. Then I have surgery to repair a hernia that happened during the accident. So God knows when everything will be back to normal again. Sucks! I have 2 more motorcycles in my garage. A Yamaha Roadliner and a Ural Gaucho Rambler. And I can't ride either one. The dealer says my FJ is totaled. The swing arm has a hole punched through it, the frame, sub-frame and rear shock are bent. Pegs and mounts are brock off. Visually the FJ doesn't look to bad. But it dose have allot of damage. Stealth gray may not be the color to go with on the next one. To bad the didn't come in Hi-Vis.... LoL

Sean

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey folks, I hope your all enjoying your FJ-09s this riding season. As for me, my riding season is over for the next 6 months or longer. on the 27th of May I was T-boned at a round-about. . . Needless to say. Things are not well. Now that skin has grown back over my wrist bone and knuckle joints. And most of my road rash has healed, I'm off to surgery on my left foot and ankle on June 25th. Recovery time is between 12 to 16 weeks Doc says. However 4 weeks or so from my surgery. I will be having surgery on my right shoulder. Then I have surgery to repair a hernia that happened during the accident. . . 

Sorry to read this. I hope your healing and rehab goes well and you get back to normal life as soon as possible! 
- Joe

Very sorry to hear. Sounds like you got beat up pretty bad. I hope you get better soon and don't have any long term effects. I live in Indiana as well. It never ceases to amaze me how many people ride without helmets. Every time I pass one I think "idiot". You can be the best rider in the world and still get caught in a situation where you go down. If you do go down, there's no way you can control if you will hit your head. I ride in a full face, snell certified helmet. Not always the most comfortable when it's really hot outside, but still worth it to come home to my family.

Sorry about your accident. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I also live in Indiana and choose to wear a helmet but I don't always wear my jacket. I have a round-about near my home that I ride through almost daily. I like to really lean my bike over as I go through it but now I am wondering if that may make it harder for people to see me.

Sorry about your accident. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I also live in Indiana and choose to wear a helmet but I don't always wear my jacket. I have a round-about near my home that I ride through almost daily. I like to really lean my bike over as I go through it but now I am wondering if that may make it harder for people to see me. 

It's hard to tell without knowing the particular roundabout in question.  I think US based motorcycle training severely lacks information on how to avoid a SMIDSY situation.  This is the
I've seen to explain it from a riders perspective.  I am in no way indicating that the OP is in any way at fault in his accident or that the cager that ran him over isn't at fault.  It's just a tool I try to use to help me keep the rubber side down and offers logical, legitimate explanations on why a cager may not see a bike and what I can do, while on a bike, to prevent it from happening to me.  Happy viewing. 

Yes, it amazes me that so many folks ride without helmets here in Indiana. I'm originally from the coast of North Carolina. There helmets are the law. And it makes good sence. Just yesterday a 37 yr old rider died in Indianapolis when a school bus struck him on his motorcycle. What killed him was trauma to the head. Sad to say, if he'd only been wearing a helmet he would of lived. Just as football, I have learned motorcycling is a contact sport.

Sorry to hear about your injuries and your bike. Glad you will be able to walk away after all is said and done at least. When your back in the saddle, are you going to pick up another FJ, or buyback yours and try to fix her up?

Dang Sean, you need to display that helmet in a place of honor! I'm not a fan of lawyers, but make sure you talk to some of them about pain and suffering compensation. I don't care if you're painted Yellow, they won't see you while messing with cell phones :-/  Heal fast!

Brian

Thank all of you for the kind words. It's 2:12am right now and there is no way in hell I can sleep. I feel like my foot is being smashed by a thousand pounds. And I feel like there's a 1/2 inch rebar sticking through my ankle. The surgery went well but Doc had to do more than he anticipated. When he opened up my foot, he discovered a third broken bone. And because of the damage he had no choice but to fuse the joint behind the big toe together at 20 degrees. And screw in a stainless steal plate. Then he scoped the ankle joint out and removed a bone fragment, other material and mended a tendon. Now the pain begins. It's always the two days after that hurt the most. now the bottom of my foot hurts so bad. It feels like its cramping and wants to curl under into a ball. However this is the beginning of the healing process for my ankle and foot. Now it's my shoulder I'm waiting on.
Sad thing is, I've been FJ shopping since I got home today. I wish GIVI would get there act together and get the bracket sets off backorder. I really want a set of GIVI Trekker Outbacks.

Sean, thats a really sad story but remember it could be worse. Maybe hard to believe when you are in the worst pain.
Im in my first season as a biker at age of 44 and during my two active months on my Tracer I see a lot of people using their cellulars. You get a good view when you're on the bike and you pay so much more attention to the other drivers.
I'm sure the driver that hit you forgives the cursing from a man in "shock" and I have experienced a "blind out" twice in my 26 years as a cardriver. I look for traffic and the road is clear and starts driving, I look once more and suddenly I see it, a car right next me...managed to stop both times.

Hope your recovery goes well and keep posting!

• Premium Member
Ouch! Sorry man! Best wishes for a quick & complete recovery!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived