Struck on my FJ-09 by a SUV

sean0262

• Premium Member
Said it was all his fault (ya no s#@t) and that he just didn't see me.
That's reminiscent of my first moto accident, on my SV650S.  Coming down a road with 2 lanes in each direction.  Nobody but me in either of my two lanes.  There's a full parking lane and a 6' wide sidewalk. 
Guy in a cargo van is backing into a driveway to the right, completely out of the travel lanes, as I approach.  I'm in the center of the left lane.  So, he's got a travel lane and a half between him and me, and he's backing away.  I'm safe, right?

I got within a hundred feet or so and the guy dropped it into gear and pulled out right into me.  I'm on the brakes hard and get into the left track, but I can't go into the opposing lanes because there is traffic.  If he stops I can go around him, if he doesn't I'm either going to get hit or I'm going to impact his front quarter panel.

I got lucky: I squeezed the front around his bumper before the impact and he bashed into the exhaust; missed my leg by maybe 6".  At that point he realized I was there and finally stopped.

I was wearing a pretty new hi-viz yellow Aerostich with the afternoon sun in my face.  That thing was so bright you could have seen me from Mars.  But somehow he "didn't see me."  Actually, that's what his wife said.  He only spoke Greek (and my Greek is pretty much limited to "gyro please").  And she was pissed off at me for causing the accident.  Seriously.  She was even more pissed off when the cop cited him.

So yea.  We're invisible even when we glow like a nuclear accident.

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident.  That guy must have been hauling ass into the rotary to throw you that far.  There's no excuse for that -- both for that kind of speed differential into an intersection and for not noticing another vehicle directly in front of him.  Make sure you get every dollar you are entitled to in compensation, you deserve it.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I received my GIVI Outback Trekker side case brackets yesterday. Funny knowing I still have no FJ since I was struck on mine back on May 27th. And even if I did I still can't ride because of my injuries. So my thoughts are I will continue purchasing parts and accessories to make a great sport/adventure touring FJ. Then next riding season I will take one hell of a road trip.

I received my GIVI Outback Trekker side case brackets yesterday. Funny knowing I still have no FJ since I was struck on mine back on May 27th. And even if I did I still can't ride because of my injuries. So my thoughts are I will continue purchasing parts and accessories to make a great sport/adventure touring FJ. Then next riding season I will take one hell of a road trip.
And a well deserved road trip. Get well soon 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Get well soon Sean!
I hope his insurance gets you a new bike soon. Much longer and you'll have the new and improved 2016 and then we'll all be jealous.
Root - excellent post on the SMIDSY.  My brother has just taken up riding, so I immediately sent that to him.  He swears his high vis jacket makes his seen, that video shows it does not. 
Cheers.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Get well soon Sean! I hope his insurance gets you a new bike soon. Much longer and you'll have the new and improved 2016 and then we'll all be jealous.
Root - excellent post on the SMIDSY.  My brother has just taken up riding, so I immediately sent that to him.  He swears his high vis jacket makes his seen, that video shows it does not. 
Cheers.
Thank you for the shout out. That technique along with others mentioned here has kept me safe so far. I expect people not to see me, no matter what I wear. This doesn't mean I drive timid. It just means I look for threats aggressively and try to take action as early as possible. IMHO, if you drive timid or scared, your "survival reflexes" are much more likely to kick in and cause a manageable issue to become unmanageable.

My broken ankle has healed up fine. A little stiff but I'm working on it. My broken foot is taking a little longer after I got a staff infection after surgery. Feel weird not having a joint were the big toe and foot meet. I'm officially out of the walking cast as of yesterday. I go in for my shoulder reconstruction on August 11th. Arm will have to remain immobile for 5 weeks. And doc said it could take 18 months before I'm back to normal. I'm sure I'll be able to ride come Spring time next year. I've been putting around on my Ural out in the country side. But that will stop once my shoulder is cut on. I've been rebuilding the FJ for a month now. New frame, swing arm, rear shock, front forks, plastic, handlebars and hand guards and a plethora of small odds and ends. I added Givi 37L outback panniers, Givi touring windscreen and frame guards. Steel rear rack, Rox 1-1/4 (32mm) handlebar risers, 2" (50mm) mirror extensions and 1" (25mm) lower rider foot pegs. I plan on getting a Corbin heated seat and heated hand grips as well.

Sean

Yes, I resurrecting the FJ-09. Technically it was as good as totaled. But seeing how we're just about blood brothers since we slid down the road together, Getting chewed up together and slamming into a concrete curb together. It's only fitting that be both be rebuilt together. As my wife says; "That bike is more part of you now, you can't ever get rid of it." So back to life it goes. Yesterday I sent the ECU off to Nels at 2WheeldynoWorks. Let him work his magic to make it a better touring machine. I was hoping to have it 100% back together before I go to my shoulder reconstruction surgery on Aug 11th. But there's just no way. To many parts backordered or just taking to long to receive. My guess is I'll be unable to work on it for 2+ months after surgery. My arm must remain immobile for 5 weeks after surgery.

Sean

We'll guys and gals, tomorrow is the big day. I go in for shoulder reconstruction at 8am. A little nervous. But can't wait for it to be fixed. My whole summer has been spent recovering from this guy hitting me on my FJ with his Ford Explorer. My FJ-09 is rebuilt and ready to ride. With luck, just maybe I'll be able to rider her before the first snows of the winter. I'm dieing to see how the new ECM map from Nels works.

We'll guys and gals, tomorrow is the big day. I go in for shoulder reconstruction at 8am. A little nervous. But can't wait for it to be fixed. My whole summer has been spent recovering from this guy hitting me on my FJ with his Ford Explorer. My FJ-09 is rebuilt and ready to ride. With luck, just maybe I'll be able to rider her before the first snows of the winter. I'm dieing to see how the new ECM map from Nels works.
Good luck for tomorrow sean0262 

Wishing you well & make sure you follow the pain meds management to the tee. I decided I didn't need all the pain meds a couple days after surgery on one of my shoulders. I don't suggest trying that. Best to just take them. All of them. I was much happier on the second shoulder after learning a painful lesson on the first.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 4 weeks later...
Alright folks I'm 4 weeks out of surgery and doing fairly well I think. The bad news is that now that my FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) is up. My employer has decided to terminate my employment effective immediately. So not only has the fuctard that hit me, ruined my summer, destroyed my body and left me with scars. Now he's managed to lose my well paying, great benefits, 7 weeks of paid vacation and awesome work environment job. GREAT! All because the jackass wasn't paying attention while driving. Wow who'd of known that a cagers fender-bender could do so much to a motorcyclist's life. Hummm We do. And people wonder why we get so pissed at them when there texting and driving, cutting us off in traffic, almost run us over. Is it a wonder why we sometime fight back. Well I can tell you this. I am fighting back. And I'm hitting him where it hurts the most. The wallet, financial assets and income! Because I'm all about being fair.
On a lighter note: Doctor says that I can ride as long as I don't over strain my arm and shoulder. My only hang up is learning to shift with a permanently fused foot and stiff ankle. So September is my month... It's time to ride!!!!!!!

• Premium Member
Good luck with getting back into riding. Perhaps try that Ural contraption first. Does it have a stick shift like some Eastern Bloc outfits?

I hope you have a good legal advisor to ensure you get full redress from the third party.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived