Oh the flat tire woes...

Well, left for work this morning and noticed something was different... I did adjust the suspension and lower the front so I figured it was that throwing me off...it definitely wasn't, the rear end kept wanting to squirm over every crack. I had just checked the tires Saturday as that's when I adjusted everything so I was like there's no way the rear tire is flat...
Sure enough, I get to work and get off and push on the tire...soft as can be. Roll it forward and put it on the center stand and there's the head of the screw, staring right at me...today is definitely a Monday. I just hope this isn't an omen for the week otherwise I might just quit now. Lol

I was hoping to not have to buy a new tire because I really dont want to have to spend the money.. So out of curiosity does anyone have a tire with relatively few miles on it that they've taken off? I'm located in southern Indiana and anywhere fairly close I'm open to driving to get it.

If no one has one then I'll go ahead and buy the aftermarket stock replacement as replacing the front with 23xx miles on it would be pointless.

Thanks all,
Jon

The screw is just about dead center of the tire. I was thinking about plugging it so I could run it until I left for my trip, replace it before I left. But if it'll be ok then I might just leave the tire on till it's toast. I'd ust rather be safe than sorry is all

The screw is just about dead center of the tire. I was thinking about plugging it so I could run it until I left for my trip, replace it before I left. But if it'll be ok then I might just leave the tire on till it's toast. I'd ust rather be safe than sorry is all

You will be fine just keep a eye on it and check you pressure before you ride.

I always carry a tire kit and pump. The tire plug kit I believe way 5 to 6 bucks at wal-mart and the tire pump was about 10 to 14 bucks and harbor freight. Just cut the wires and add clips so you can hook it to the battery. Dont use the cig lighter because it will blow the fuse.

Look up Stop and Go tire plugger kits on line. Have had excellent results for many years. I always carry this kit including the tiny compressed. Have used plugged tires for duration of tire life with no problems.
that is a personnel decision of course. 

I did this on a brand new q3 with only 100miles on it and got over 6000 miles. Dont plug it on the sides though.
I also have had good results patching a Q3 rear tire, on my FZ6. I used a product called Dynaplug, followed the directions and patched the month old tire. I ended up riding the tire until its normal life 5-6 thousand miles. I don't recall having any leaks- the patch worked great. Cheap insurance compared to the price of a new tire. Some people aren't comfortable with patching though, which I understand. 

I always carry a tire kit and pump. The tire plug kit I believe way 5 to 6 bucks at wal-mart and the tire pump was about 10 to 14 bucks and harbor freight. Just cut the wires and add clips so you can hook it to the battery. Dont use the cig lighter because it will blow the fuse.
What type pump do you have that will blow the fuse?  I'm curious because I keep a Slime Smart Spair on board.  I have never used it.  Are you saying this can't be used? 

Guest branthopolis
What type pump do you have that will blow the fuse?  I'm curious because I keep a Slime Smart Spair on board.  I have never used it.  Are you saying this can't be used?

The Slime branded pumps draw 6+ Amps.. outlet on bike is 2 amp..

I too have a slime pump but I also bought one of those wire in cig plugs and put alligator clips on it. I used it to put air in my motorcycle tires before I got an air compressor. It works well enough but won't run only off the battery, gotta start the bike.
Today I brought it and a pressure gauge with me to work as it dropped roughly 5psi overnight after plugging it and riding ~20 miles. I'll keep up with it and hopefully it will stop leaking.

I too have a slime pump but I also bought one of those wire in cig plugs and put alligator clips on it. I used it to put air in my motorcycle tires before I got an air compressor. It works well enough but won't run only off the battery, gotta start the bike. Today I brought it and a pressure gauge with me to work as it dropped roughly 5psi overnight after plugging it and riding ~20 miles. I'll keep up with it and hopefully it will stop leaking.

Make sure to check your tires when cold too.

I'd say it would fit if you could get it down into that pocket...there just happens to be a seat brace conveniently in the way. I don't understand how you're supposed to use that pocket for anything when you can't reach the bottom to get anything out of it.

Archived