Rear shock dogbone

After installing the rear saddlebags with the bike on its centerstand I notice the rear had a little play up and down. Looking at it looks to be coming from the lower link dog bone. I checked the bolts and they are all tight maybe its a bushing that is not in tolarance. Does yours do the same thing?

How many miles? Sounds like you may be describing a lower shock (or linkage) bushing play issue. Not too hard to press out the old bearing and press in a new one, if you like wrenching on your bike. Otherwise, need to get a competent mechanic to address it.

Once a suspension bearing starts to go, it usually completely fails (disintegrates) very quickly. If left unaddressed, you could damage your shock, link,  or swing arm. Probably more of a cost issue than a safety issue, if not racing. Fix it now.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

How many miles? Sounds like you may be describing a lower shock bushing play issue. Not too hard to press oath bearing and press in a new one, if you like wrenching on your bike. Otherwise, need to get a competent mechanic to address it.  
Once a suspension bearing starts to go, it usually completely fails (disintegrates) very quickly. If left unaddressed, you could damage your shock or swing arm. Probably more of a cost issue than a safety issue, if not racing. Fix it now.
2900 miles.

How many miles? Sounds like you may be describing a lower shock (or linkage) bushing play issue. Not too hard to press out the old bearing and press in a new one, if you like wrenching on your bike. Otherwise, need to get a competent mechanic to address it.  
Once a suspension bearing starts to go, it usually completely fails (disintegrates) very quickly. If left unaddressed, you could damage your shock, link,  or swing arm. Probably more of a cost issue than a safety issue, if not racing. Fix it now.
It diffently not the shock bolt. Looks to be the upper part of the dogbone. I think others will find they have it to thats why I asked if people could check theres.

I noticed this on mine at the weekend when i was changing the dog bones, i could lift the rear wheel & swing arm a few millimeters with a sort of slight clunk, no idea what it is though.

Yes the swing arm still had the few mm of movement after i fitted the new bones, as you previously said it clunks like a bush is not quite right inside the bearing or the bolts are too small inside the bush, i will ask the dealer to look at it when i book up for the first service,

Mine has this issue also, notice it the first day while adjusting the chain. Now that it has a little over 2000 miles on it is more pronounced than it was then. Checked 2 never ridden ones at the dealership and they both had the up and down play to about the same degree mine had originally. Definitely in the dog bones. Once it gets to the point where I feel that it's a safety issue, if it does,  I'll take it to dealer and let them deal with it while it's still under warranty.

I had the same issue once with a GPZ 1100 but it really never became a problem.

• Premium Member
Now go to the bike and with it on the center stand put your hands under the rear wheel and push it up. Do you have rear wheel play?
A little, but nothing to worry about. The lower shock bracket will move on my bike from side to side a tad, and there is play in the upper dog bone link up and down a tad. Nice avatar by the way (thought it was a galaxy until I looked close and saw it was a nice wave).

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Now go to the bike and with it on the center stand put your hands under the rear wheel and push it up. Do you have rear wheel play?
Very little, if any play. 3500 miles so far.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650