Rear shock dogbone

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Anything bent?....out of allignment?

Nope. So when you put the "sleeve" through the bearing, it can rock in the bearing. So when it compresses it compresses crooked, so it scooted over and was rubbing. It has only been 2-3 weeks since I looked at it last, so 300 ish miles for it to do this.  I do have the spring perch on the 2nd to last notch being 250 lbs with gear/luggage so maybe that is at play.

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Looks like Yamaha's seemingly too frequent suspension lube and inspection interval is needed.

I clean and lube the front swingarm bearings and the linkage bearings every winter.  Might be overkill but it only takes an hour for piece of mind.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 hours ago, betoney said:

I clean and lube the front swingarm bearings and the linkage bearings every winter.  Might be overkill but it only takes an hour for piece of mind.

Well let this be proof that it is not overkill. I never ride in any moisture and I live in san diego county. This should have been my third time i think. Dryness would be my culprit, not water etc.

I am confused though, the bearings are sealed mostly so very little grease would actually get in the rollers. But I guess some is better the none. I still think the bearings could be wider for more support but im no engineer.

PS. I love olympia, Sister moved there but after a few years moved to rainier for some more property. So beautiful up there. I always go driving the first or second day just to soak it all in. Little wet for me though haha

• Thumbsup 1

• 11 months later...

2019 Tracer 900 GT with 18k miles.  I searched for this topic as I have a few mm of travel in the swingarm and is definitely in the dog bone bearings.  Has not got progressively worse over the last 5k miles, but I think I will replace the bearings and bushes over the winter.

• Premium Member

Just push it centered after cleaning and greasing.

Last service I bought a low mile used link / dog bone assembly for like $35 (I still lubed it), so next service I'll just swap them out.

I don't know why they don't have shouldered thrust washers and tighter tolerance to keep the dog bones centered.   My Razor R shock doesn't seemingly care though...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, vincep said:

2019 Tracer 900 GT with 18k miles.  I searched for this topic as I have a few mm of travel in the swingarm and is definitely in the dog bone bearings.  Has not got progressively worse over the last 5k miles, but I think I will replace the bearings and bushes over the winter.

I have noticed this on my 2015 bike since new (2016), when tightening the axle nut, as you're showing. I am inclined to think that it's normal, or rather a non-issue. The tiny clearance is probably just amplified at the end of the suspended swingarm.

The play on my bike hasn't gotten any worse over the years (65K km).

Edited by piotrek
sp

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, vincep said:

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

I have noticed this on my 2015 bike since new (2016), when tightening the axle nut, as you're showing. I am inclined to think that it's normal, or rather a non-issue.

Mine definitely does the same thing, my dirtbike is the same even with brand new shock/linkage bearings.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It doesn’t need much play at all on the bearing and linkages to make it look worse on the rear tyre. 
My VFR, Sprint ST and my Tracer were/are all the same. 
I clocked up 146,000km on my VFR and 45,000km on the Sprint, never got worse. 
I don’t think it’s an issue. 

• 7 months later...

See my post from Sep 2021 with the video above. 

I had the bike at Romney Cycles West Virginia for a recall and they stated they would have a look at it.  As the bike has the YES extended warranty I said sure.  They replaced all the bearings, seals, bolts, spacers and collars in the dog bones.  About $200 in parts and three hours labor.

Picked up the bike today, the play is still there.  No skin off my nose though.

• Thumbsup 1