First gear engagement from neutral at a stop. A hard thunk!

When at a stop in neutral and I engage first gear to go I have to really 'mash' the shift lever into gear. There is quite a loud thunk and a bit of shudder. I mean I cannot lightly push into first. I have to remember to slam it in gear. No light push. This is only when at a stop and in neutral. It is fine all other times when down or upshifting while moving.
The clutch is properly adjusted I believe. I have had the recall done at about 600 miles and now have 2300. Fresh oil. I cannot remember if it was like this before the recall being done. But I don't believe so. And yes I am going to contact the dealer and have it looked at.
  Any body else have this issue?

Normal. You should have felt the shake and noise when I put my BMW K1600 GT into first gear, that was like putting a tank into gear and would shake all 630 lbs of the bike. Needless to say I didn't keep that monster.

• Premium Member
Same on my bike, my heart almost stops...
It's more or less average of the bikes I've owned. 
If you want to hear a bike that has a big clunk, the guy down the street has a Harley that rattles our china every time he shifts.  It sounds like the engine cases are cracking apart, seriously.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest bobh380
yeah Ive got it too .Its louder than my Harley ! It's sometimes very hard to get neutral too .Usually after it gets hot.

yeah Ive got it too .Its louder than my Harley ! It's sometimes very hard to get neutral too .Usually after it gets hot.
With most bikes when they are hot, it's easier to find neutral if you roll the bike forward just a little bit. Assuming you're not on a heavy bike pointing uphill. ;)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest bobh380
Yeah Deerslayer I try everything .I end up going back into 2nd and wait a moment and then usually find neutral after that .

Idle is controlled by the ECU and not adjustable.

Honestly guys, show me a motorcycle that DOESN'T go clunk when shifting from Neutral to first or N to second, and first round is on me.

You're going to have to live with it.

-skip

As opposed to a two finder pull when riding, I use all my fingers to pull in the clutch when starting the engine. Even fully pulled in, a shift from N into 1st or 2nd clunks at a stand still.

Motorcycle transmissions are designed to make it hard to get neutral for safety reasons. Some bikes are easier to stick neutral going down rather than up.

Perhaps leaving the transmission in gear is safer at stops? If you need to maneuver quickly to avoid a fast approaching vehicle, you don't have to take the time to shift.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Perhaps leaving the transmission in gear is safer at stops? If you need to maneuver quickly to avoid a fast approaching vehicle, you don't have to take the time to shift.

this is what MSF teaches for whatever that's worth. They also preach to be in first by the time you come to a stop. That has actually been built into the most recent driving test to get your endorsement in Indiana. The quick stop test, you are now required to shift up into second then stop as quickly as you can while downshifting. If you are not in first when you come to a stop you lose points.

Archived