FJ 09 or FJR 1300?.....

Hey guys new here....seems like a nice site!

Anyway, I currently ride a 2013 tiger 800 roadie that is pretty decked out but because my closest dealer closed I have been strongly considering going back to a Japanese bike so i can support my local dealer.  I have my eye on either an FJ09 (I would get the bags and heated grips) or a left over 2014 FJR 1300A.  I am 50 years old and I like the idea of the FJR but part of me keeps saying I will be bored with it, haha.  I have been really leaning toward the FJ09 but with my luck they will offer cruise in next years model and I will be ticked off, lol.  I do like the idea of a light, responsive sport tourer though as I usually take 1 or two 3-4 day trips a year and quite a few day rides etc.  Plus the cost is attractive.....thoughts??  Are you all generally happy with the FJ09?

I'm very happy with the FJ-09. Having said that, it's my first pure street bike I've owned. I've spent time on a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R, 200x KTM 990 Dakar, and my 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R. For me, the FJ-09 is easy to ride, comfortable, cool (at least not hot), and loads of fun.

Best utility addon I did was a Shad 45 top case.

Best comfort addons are Seat Concepts seat and replace windscreen.

My best performance mod is the 2WheelDynoWorks ECU flash.

Best safety addons are Skeene P3 rear lights and front LED lights
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

How happy are you with your tiger? The FJ is going to be much closer to your tiger than the FJR. The FJ is still a triple. The FJ has a little more power than the Tiger, but depending on the package you got on the Tiger, it may have some more features. I don't quite remember what comes standard on a Tiger or what the upgrade package adds, but I thought it was a pretty nice setup from what I remember. I didn't look too closely at them because I don't know anyone that works on them in my area. The seating position I believe is similar between the FJ and the tiger as well. The FJR is quite a bit heavier and as a result a little bit slower. It can haul more stuff though and has better weather protection. I'm still waiting on a good option for cruise on my FJ. I still have hope it can be added to my bike at some point in the future. I'm pretty sure there's guys on here that have switched from the FJR to the FJ. You may search the forum for FJR to see what's already been discussed. It's all in what works best for you. If you're happy with what you're on, you could always wait till the new bikes release in January to see if they add cruise to the FJ. If they don't add it, you may still get a deal on a leftover 2015. Ride them both and see which one you like the best.

How happy are you with your tiger? The FJ is going to be much closer to your tiger than the FJR. The FJ is still a triple. The FJ has a little more power than the Tiger, but depending on the package you got on the Tiger, it may have some more features. I don't quite remember what comes standard on a Tiger or what the upgrade package adds, but I thought it was a pretty nice setup from what I remember. I didn't look too closely at them because I don't know anyone that works on them in my area. The seating position I believe is similar between the FJ and the tiger as well. The FJR is quite a bit heavier and as a result a little bit slower. It can haul more stuff though and has better weather protection. I'm still waiting on a good option for cruise on my FJ. I still have hope it can be added to my bike at some point in the future. I'm pretty sure there's guys on here that have switched from the FJR to the FJ. You may search the forum for FJR to see what's already been discussed. It's all in what works best for you. If you're happy with what you're on, you could always wait till the new bikes release in January to see if they add cruise to the FJ. If they don't add it, you may still get a deal on a leftover 2015. Ride them both and see which one you like the best.
Good points.  I actually really like my tiger 800 (it has a sargent seat, hard bags, heated grips, madstad shield etc. etc.)but I am in the same boat...the closest dealer is too far away and the triumph dealer network in general has been taking a hit....at least in my area  The bike has been perfectly reliable so far.  I guess when I think about it, the FJ09 is really where I probably want to be.  I love the idea of the FJR but the weight is going to be a turn off I think....... 
The FJ seems to be reliable as a whole with some minor quirks (every bike has them).  I find it hard to believe there are really not any good throttle lock options (i.e Kaoko)....but that is not the end of the world.  I just want a fun, reliable, sporty bike that I can take a trip on and not get beaten to death, haha.

Guest bobh380
If I had my time again I would try and hire one ,if available , or take a really long test ride.
I like my bike but there are some buts ! The FJR is a very different riding experience.

One question I did have...how smooth is the FJ 09 at highway speeds (say 60-75)...what rpm is it turning at 70? Is there a lot of vibration felt through the bars?
It is not bad.  There's very slight vibrations through the foot pegs on the highway.  Very slight.  I don't notice anymore, but if I concentrate on it, I can tell they are still there.  I don't really notice it through the bars.  Some other people have, but grip puppies have been able to eliminate it for them.  It has more vibrations under hard acceleration, but to me, that is to be expected and welcomed :D.  She's like an excited little puppy when you rev it out.  70 mph is running close to 5k rpm in 6th.  If you look at other areas of the forum and see people complaining about vibrations around 4.5k - 5k rpm, I'm pretty sure they are talking about while accelerating.  At lease for me, it smooths out quite a bit while just cruising at any semi-legal speed.

Thanks for that info. It sounds very similar to my Tiger which I find to have some vibes but overall very smooth. I am not overly sensitive to vibration but I was curious is all. No demo bikes around my neck of the woods.....:(

Hi, I owned both, a 2014 FJR and a 2015 FJ. My FJ is in the shop right now for failing to start issues, to which they can't figure it out. The FJR has been around about 15 years. Its a very polished bike. Well constructed with great fueling and they seem to last for ever. I sold it after 1400 miles for one reason, balancing the weight. The FJR was the first bike that I felt I might drop at any stop sign or red light if I got my footing wrong. So I sold it. It ran fantastic though. My FJ on the other hand is much easier to ride as I feel like I can thread a needle with it but besides its in the shop for warranty work at 416 miles, its fueling is MUCH poorer than the FJR, as is its suspension and brakes. It really depends on what characteristics you value most. I wish the FJR wasn't so heavy and that the FJ were actually a polished mini FJR, but neither are true.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Thanks for that info. It sounds very similar to my Tiger which I find to have some vibes but overall very smooth. I am not overly sensitive to vibration but I was curious is all. No demo bikes around my neck of the woods.....:( 

You're going to find these vibrations to be fairly common in triples. It comes with the territory. Personally, I like it. It isn't the annoying kind of vibration, but the kind where you feel connected to the bike.  
From what I hear, the ECU flash helps smooth things out across the rev range. I doubt it completely eliminates any vibration, but maybe it reduces them a little? Either way, they aren't really that noticeable unless you're paying attention to them. 

Hi, I owned both, a 2014 FJR and a 2015 FJ. My FJ is in the shop right now for failing to start issues, to which they can't figure it out. The FJR has been around about 15 years. Its a very polished bike. Well constructed with great fueling and they seem to last for ever. I sold it after 1400 miles for one reason, balancing the weight. The FJR was the first bike that I felt I might drop at any stop sign or red light if I got my footing wrong. So I sold it. It ran fantastic though. My FJ on the other hand is much easier to ride as I feel like I can thread a needle with it but besides its in the shop for warranty work at 416 miles, its fueling is MUCH poorer than the FJR, as is its suspension and brakes. It really depends on what characteristics you value most. I wish the FJR wasn't so heavy and that the FJ were actually a polished mini FJR, but neither are true.
Interesting...That is the one aspect I am a bit worried about without being able to ride one.  My Tiger is pretty polished, smooth and the fueling is quite honestly the best I have ever had on any bike.  I look at the FJ as a raucous little kid who may be fun but isn't perfect.....its a matter of will I mind the imperfections, haha.  I think my dealer has an FJR demo and I may try and get a ride on that.  Not sure How I will feel about the weight though (from a handling standpoint).  I am pretty much leaning towards the FJ but damn I wish I could ride one, haha.  Anyone in the south Chicago/northwest Indiana area want to stop by and swap bikes for a short ride?  :)

If you come to my house you can ride both. I have a 2005 FJR and a new FJ-09. Two different bikes, no question about it. The FJR spoils you. You can ride all day, consecutive days, as many as you want and feel comfy the whole time. The FJ 09 is not an all day type bike in my opinion. Not for me anyway with that POS stock seat. What the FJ-09 is however is a lightweight, toss it around, feisty, side road blaster. I love riding it on the back roads with lots of corners. I can't wait to get it into the mountains in NH and VT. It is very responsive and easy to handle. It weighs about 150 pounds less than the FJR. If I could only have one bike, it would be the FJR. For the type of riding I do.

I rode a buddy's 2014 FJR ES. That is a refined smooth bike. Deliciously smooth. The FJR has evolved very nicely from its introduction here in 2003. It is bullet-proof reliable and has great aftermarket support. If you're after something to give you long range, all day comfort but still exhilarating riding the FJR is hard to beat. It's no slouch in the twisties either.

I think a left over 2014 FJR could be had for about the same money as a new FJ-09 with saddle bags, aftermarket windscreen (you'll want that) and a few other farkles. The cruise control is an added bonus. Good luck with your shopping.

Hey crfan1 if you were closer to me near Ottawa Ontario i would let you take it for a ride, I bought mine back in April, and injured my back a week later, so it sits in the garage collecting dust. I have surgery scheduled for July 8th and then 4 to 6 weeks before I will be able to ride again:((((
Not being able to ride and having to look at that new bike just sitting there is driving me crazy!!!

If you come to my house you can ride both. I have a 2005 FJR and a new FJ-09. Two different bikes, no question about it. The FJR spoils you. You can ride all day, consecutive days, as many as you want and feel comfy the whole time. The FJ 09 is not an all day type bike in my opinion. Not for me anyway with that POS stock seat. What the FJ-09 is however is a lightweight, toss it around, feisty, side road blaster. I love riding it on the back roads with lots of corners. I can't wait to get it into the mountains in NH and VT. It is very responsive and easy to handle. It weighs about 150 pounds less than the FJR. If I could only have one bike, it would be the FJR. For the type of riding I do.  
I rode a buddy's 2014 FJR ES. That is a refined smooth bike. Deliciously smooth. The FJR has evolved very nicely from its introduction here in 2003. It is bullet-proof reliable and has great aftermarket support. If you're after something to give you long range, all day comfort but still exhilarating riding the FJR is hard to beat. It's no slouch in the twisties either.

I think a left over 2014 FJR could be had for about the same money as a new FJ-09 with saddle bags, aftermarket windscreen (you'll want that) and a few other farkles. The cruise control is an added bonus. Good luck with your shopping.
Thanks for the information....and you are right, a 2014 FR A model can be had for a very good price.....damn close to the FJ.  I am hoping to ride a Demo Saturday....what part of the country are you in? 

Archived