Hi and insurance question

Hey y'all,

I have been lurking here a bit checking out what everyone thinks of the new FJ. Minus a few issues here and there its pretty overwhelmingly positive. So I started looking into trading in my current bike to get one. The next thing I did was check insurance rates. I'm currently on a 2012 Suzuki V strom dl650  and also a 2013 Yamaha Wr250R. Total insurance is about $550 a year. I checked with my agent about replacing the V strom with either an FJ09 or an FZ1 and they both came out about 1400-1500. Almost 3 times my cost now. 2 questions:

1. Anyone else experiencing this?
2. Are people crashing the crap out of these bikes?

While sarcastic answers about the FJ09 being worth 3x the v strom are welcome, comments with actual info are slightly more welcome  ;)

doc_simple
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

While sarcastic answers about the FJ09 being worth 3x the v strom are welcome, comments with actual info are slightly more welcome  ;) 
doc_simple
Since db5304 has already given the actual info and insight... And since you practically asked for it... In good humor, here comes the obligatory, "well the FJ-09 is 3 times the bike of a v strom! What do you expect?"

All kidding aside, it's stupid expensive and I hope it goes down next year after the insurance companies get a better handle on things.

• Premium Member
I'm paying $240 per year with $250/$100 deductibles from State Farm, but I just got my card and see they mis-identified it as a FZ-09. I called my agent today to have it corrected but haven't heard if there'll be a change. Hopefully not!

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Hey y'all, 
I have been lurking here a bit checking out what everyone thinks of the new FJ. Minus a few issues here and there its pretty overwhelmingly positive. So I started looking into trading in my current bike to get one. The next thing I did was check insurance rates. I'm currently on a 2012 Suzuki V strom dl650  and also a 2013 Yamaha Wr250R. Total insurance is about $550 a year. I checked with my agent about replacing the V strom with either an FJ09 or an FZ1 and they both came out about 1400-1500. Almost 3 times my cost now. 2 questions:

1. Anyone else experiencing this?
2. Are people crashing the crap out of these bikes?

doc_simple
The main problem seems to be that the [strong]FJ[/strong]-09's designation is insufficiently distinct (to insurance companies) from its mad predecessor the [strong]FZ[/strong]-09 (here in Oz called the MT-09).   Made worse here by the fact that my bike is officially an MT-09 Tracer - the word 'Tracer' makes all the difference but initially the insurance bods had difficulty with that and could only read as far as the MT-09 bit.   Because - [strong][em]YES![/em] [/strong]- people [em]are[/em] crashing MT's left, right and centre!   And insurance companies don't like that!   I got my quotes down, by degrees, from an initial $690 or so to an acceptable $407 after much explanation of the difference between a sportsbike and [em](ahem!)[/em] a tourer... Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Yamaha MT-09 (FJ-09) Tracer – now at 3138km – Grip Puppies; Stebel Magnum audible warning device; Skene P3 rear lights set; Knuckleguard LEDs; Seat Concepts seat.[/em]

L of

• 3 months later...
Thanks DB! I have a 2012 V Strom Adventure (which is for sale), a 2013 WR250R and the new FJ. If the V Strom doesnt sell in the next 6 months I may decide to keep it....

The backdrop is almost the end of my ride as I get back into Portland. Its the Columbia river gorge looking from the beginning (west side) out east.
Your image looks decidedly deciduous, I'm thinking out east but it is a snapshot that could be anywhere :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Thanks DB! I have a 2012 V Strom Adventure (which is for sale), a 2013 WR250R and the new FJ. If the V Strom doesnt sell in the next 6 months I may decide to keep it....  
The backdrop is almost the end of my ride as I get back into Portland. Its the Columbia river gorge looking from the beginning (west side) out east.
Your image looks decidedly deciduous, I'm thinking out east but it is a snapshot that could be anywhere :)
Ah I was thinking Yamaha thats why I couldn't place it.  You are indeed correct it is Pennsylvania north of Pittsburgh.  I try to do all of my riding out in the country.   
This is my most scenic shot, it is in the Laurel Highlands area (Nice riding but at least an hour extra to get there)

image_9.jpg

I'm an ex-pat from NYC now out in the great Northwet! If its any consolation I have an hour ride to get anywhere fun to ride as well. And thats if there is no traffic. Turns out a city is a city is a city. But when I do get out there.... amazing stuff:)
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived