Ok...so what is the overall consensus on the vibes on the FJ

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
There was just a discussion on this, but I am having trouble finding it for some reason. Anyhow, the jest of it is, some feel the vibration, others don't notice it. After a spirited ride, I have a slight numbness in my hands, but never while cruising. Must be my death grip. I do not notice any vibration, but it must be there a little for me to have a little numbness. Most don't worry about it and find it very minor compared to other bikes they have owned. Oh, welcome.

Found it: linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Re the boxer engine.  Because the two cylinders are one behind the other, the BMW boxers don't actually have perfect primary balance.  There is a rocking couple there.  The newer boxers (hex heads and newer) have a balance shaft to cancel this out at least to some degree.
Maybe that's why I didn't notice, I think I've only ever ridden new ones.  Or maybe I am just not that sensitive to it. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Panooch, thanks for the info. all very good! Based on my riding style which is mostly off highway day rides, the occasional commute to work in downtown Chicago and one or two 3-4 day trips a year, I keep coming back to the FJ as being the bike that will work for me. I know I will be making some changes (screen and seat first) and that's ok. As far as curvy roads go, I have to drive a couple hundred miles to find any good ones, lol. :(
Sorry to hear your so far from the curves. This is truly where the FJ shines. It's a very nimble machine.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Thanks folks!!! Sorry, I should have done a search before asking....bad forum form!!! I will not let it happen again.

I have to say that I am super reluctant....and sad....that this bike has a vibe issue. It broke my heart that my old FZ-1 had that problem. It really took away the joy of ownership. I don't think I am willing to risk buying into the same problem again....

All the best,
Ray

• Premium Member
Thanks folks!!! Sorry, I should have done a search before asking....bad forum form!!! I will not let it happen again.  
I have to say that I am super reluctant....and sad....that this bike has a vibe issue. It broke my heart that my old FZ-1 had that problem. It really took away the joy of ownership. I don't think I am willing to risk buying into the same problem again....

All the best,
Ray
Sounds like this bike is not for you. No worries, you will find something else.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Its definitely a growly busy engine, and it does vibrate, but not in an annoying way.   I just got back from a long 3 day ride and there were times the vibrations affected my hands.  So its not accurate to say its smooth like a VFR.  The Hyperstrada I test rode was smoother.

Ditch the stylistic hand guards and install HVMP bar ends. FJR rubber topped pegs for the feet and many of the "Zs" in buzzy are gone.
have to agree on that , did exactly that and things are much better, not gone 100% but we ride motorcycles , so ....  8-)

Good info. thanks! I actually got to meet up and ride a members FJ yesterday....very nice kid and I really appreciated him letting me take it for a quick spin. Pretty nice bike with some things that would need fixing (as everyone knows). The motor is a gem...it really pulls strong I was quite surprised actually! As far as vibes...well there were definitely some vibes in that 4-5k range. Not the worst I have felt and I could probably live with them. I am sure the doing what is mentioned above and an ECU flash would probably help greatly. Now I have to sell my Tiger 800 and decide between this and a left over FJR 1300....:)

Archived