Do We Own a Mystery Bike?

I'm south of Atlanta and continue to get second glances from other bikers as they pass the other way. A guy on a Hyabusa stopped next to me at a light and said 'Yamaha!?' So far, I haven't seen another FJ on the road. I'm pretty sure most of the locals have no idea what I'm riding  :)

Brian

• Premium Member
I get plenty of looks and "what is it" questions here in Las Vegas. The dealer says they have sold more than a few, but I don't see them on the road. Then again it has been @110 for the past couple of weeks, and only the fools and die-hards are out and about on 2 wheels.  I haven't figured out which one of those two catagories I fall into yet. :D

• Premium Member
I know there's another owner here in Dallas (Texas, USA)... and s/he is on these boards, but I haven't seen them and I haven't seen anyone else with our bikes.

I've always kinda liked having a unique vehicle, so that's fine by me. :)

I was eating breakfast at a Waffle House and I looked out and 3 Catoosa Oklahoma Police officers were studying it in the parking lot. They came in and asked me if it was a FJR, I said no its a FJ 09, they had never heard of it. I've had several people ask me what it is, but nobody has heard of it.

I don't think it's a 'mystery bike'... It's only been available a short time. Local dealer has sold two, including mine. Population of our county (8095sq miles!) is ~210k. We're also a popular motorcycle destination for riders out of Phoenix.

So far I've only seen two others on the road, but I have a LOT of riders walk up and ask "Is that the new FJ-09?". Lots of interest out there... it's just new.

It is a brand new bike for one thing. You kinda have to expect that the first couple years a model is out. It can also vary by region too. In my area, there's a ton of huge HD dealers, supermarket sized buildings just for HD. They seem nearly as prolific as Starbucks. If you want to see more of the exact same bikes you just saw, just go around the corner and check out the next HD dealer. There's only a couple tiny Yamaha dealers, and not all of the ones in my area even stock the sport bikes, they only stock the Star line. The ones that do, only stock one of each of the more popular sport bikes and many times it's a leftover because they couldn't sell it the year before. Around here, if it's not a HD, it's not a motorcycle. I would say from a dealer count, it is about 4:1 HD to Yamaha. As far as size of the dealerships, I would guess an individual HD dealer averages about 5x - 6x the floor space to a Yamaha dealership. That's total floor space for the whole shop. HD doesn't share floor space with any other brands, where Yamaha usually shares with 3-6 other brands of motorcycles, 4 wheelers, side-by-sides, snow-mobiles and jet-ski's. If you have a Honda, Suzuki or Star cruiser around here, you de-badge it and hope no one realizes it's not a HD.

• Premium Member
Feeling good about the bike, most people I talk with know of the FZ, so the FJ is familiar to them.  I don't notice any annoying issues with the vibration of the grips, handling of the bike.  I did notice the bike get a little shaky at high highway speeds (not sure I should mention this, I have been going a little fast) it is hard to keep this bike from wanting to get up there especially on the freeways.  I enjoy it on the byways the most, I really like riding this bike and get withdrawals when
not on it.  So all in all it has been everything I expected since I test rode the bike.

3793856.jpg

• Premium Member
Yes it is the same here in the Northeast, huge Harley shops, but we do have many Yamaha dealers and service places.  They usually are much smaller than the harley joints or are a combination of a few other types of bikes.  

• Premium Member
I haven't seen another one in LA yet, but had half a dozen ask me about it who knew what it was.
Go up to Newcombs on a Saturday early (8:00am) and you will see at least two, me and Ty. Both faster red color. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived