Clutch problem; Clutch does not disengage the gearbox

Trambo

• Premium Member
Update!
Parts department called to let me know my Yamaha hard cases, locks and mounts have all finally arrived. Since the bike is already there for the clutch, they are going to go ahead and mount them for me. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice, glad it all worked out. I had a 2013 FZ1 that did very similar things. Dealer said the clutch plates where dry, but my oil level was in spec... They took it apart and soaked the plates overnight and fixed the problem. Sometimes, you just never know...

• Premium Member
Called them today to see what's up. Parts manager (!) takes my call... seems the infamous Yamaha parts network is holding up progress. The bearing plates (washers) did not arrive; apparently they went to the wrong place and had to be shipped again, but he did show them in transit.

Alas, no riding again this weekend. :(

Called them today to see what's up. Parts manager (!) takes my call... seems the infamous Yamaha parts network is holding up progress. The bearing plates (washers) did not arrive; apparently they went to the wrong place and had to be shipped again, but he did show them in transit.  
Alas, no riding again this weekend. :(
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery to your bike.

• Premium Member
Thanks Root. I've calmed down quite a bit since the ordeal first started. Yeah. it's a drag waiting (especially in the summer!) but I'm glad to have a warranty to cover this at least. And the caveat to this is they are installing my hard bags for me, ha ha, so that means more riding and less wrenching when I get it back. Shame the heated grips didn't arrive as well.

After a number of conversations with the parts manager and service manager I have come to the conclusion that Yammer's parts & distribution network could use a shiny new 21st century upgrade. :D Never had this issue getting Suzuki & Kawi parts when I needed them. But then neither of them have a sweet triple ST on the street, either... ;)

• Premium Member
Quickie update:
Called the dealer at lunch and they just got the thrust washers in today, so they should have things done tomorrow or Friday.

• Premium Member
The dealer called me today - actually CALLED ME! Yay. FJ niner is done, ready for relaunch.

My coworker is picking me up in the morning from home, so I can take my gear to work and he'll take me there on lunch break tomorrow to grab it. (I'm considering wearing all my gear when I ride with him in the truck, ATGATT, lolz)

I'll be riding her home tomorrow night from work. SO freaking happy. It's been 2 weeks... I need it.

Also.... the D-bags tried to charge me for mounting my side cases. I deep-sixed that bullsh!t quick. I told him (for the THIRD TIME) that when I bought the bike, hard cases, heated grips AND installation were all inclusive in the deal at closing, and they quickly backed off that nonsense. Not my damn fault Yammer was backordered on all the parts.  Once the grips come in and they install them, that will be the last service visit I make to them, and maybe the last bike I buy from there. I am not impressed.

• Premium Member
***FINAL UPDATE!!***

She's home again in her rightful spot in the garage.

20150717_180417_zps77df7316.jpg

My coworker picked me up this morning, and at lunch I grabbed a ride to the dealer.
Happy to report, the clutch worked flawlessly all the way home. I have to admit, I was a tad nervous / apprehensive on the ride from the dealer to work. AND on the ride home. But she rode fine, no issues at all. It's nice to have it back home again, and with the side cases installed, now I'm ready to commute again!!

The service manager told me when I picked up that he pulled my sales record and info, and cordially informed me they did not charge me for the installation of the bags or heated grips (which still have not arrived). I told him it was their problem, not mine, because I TOLD the sales rep at time of the contract my expectation was the final price agreed upon INCLUDED the accessories AND LABOR to install them once they arrived. He was OK with that and said he'd handle it. I'm really not trying to be a prick, but this is what I requested, and they should have written it in there for their records. We'll see how it goes when the grips arrive.

I'm glad this is over. After two weeks and an absolutely insane week at work, I was incredibly happy to motor home on my FJ again.

• Premium Member
***FINAL UPDATE!!*** 
She's home again in her rightful spot in the garage.

Get on your bikes and ride (sung to fat bottom girls from Queen). p3rry_zpsjpvxnqqr.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...
My FJ is at the dealer now to check clutch . Last Friday riding my normal commute of 45 miles to work the clutch functioned normally when I left home , rode 40 miles on the freeway as usual , then when i was slowing to a stop down the offramp I went to pull in clutch lever and noticed it was almost completely slack , would only dissengage right at the grip . I pulled over and did a quick adjustment at the lever barrel and proceeded the few miles thru streets to work noticing the freeplay kept changing everytime  I  used the clutch . Long story short , I was able to ride to my local dealer to have it inspected . The dealer called me this morning to inform me the clutch cable had frayed somewhere inside and would require replacement NOT covered by warranty as they say Yamaha consideres thius cable a "wear" item . Im a littlie frustrated and dissapointed when Ive only had the bike since December with a total of 9600 miles on it now .

• Premium Member
My FJ is at the dealer now to check clutch . Last Friday riding my normal commute of 45 miles to work the clutch functioned normally when I left home , rode 40 miles on the freeway as usual , then when i was slowing to a stop down the offramp I went to pull in clutch lever and noticed it was almost completely slack , would only dissengage right at the grip . I pulled over and did a quick adjustment at the lever barrel and proceeded the few miles thru streets to work noticing the freeplay kept changing everytime  I  used the clutch . Long story short , I was able to ride to my local dealer to have it inspected . The dealer called me this morning to inform me the clutch cable had frayed somewhere inside and would require replacement NOT covered by warranty as they say Yamaha consideres thius cable a "wear" item . Im a littlie frustrated and dissapointed when Ive only had the bike since December with a total of 9600 miles on it now .
Not sure about consumer law in your jurisdiction but that would not be a valid claim by the dealer in the UK - it is not normal for a clutch cable to fail after 8 months unless you had done maybe loads of miles. They can write whatever weasel words they like in a warranty, consumer law in the UK outweighs such claims. In the UK, the retailer i.e. the dealer would be responsible and the dealer would have to make a reasoned argument to decline a claim for a free replacement. The warranty exists to allow the dealer to claim back the cost of their liability from Yamaha, not to restrict their liability in consumer law. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived