Penske 8983 FJ-09 Shock Replacement How To

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
Doing this today. Pictures and writeup to follow. Yes, this is just a tease for now. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif

Removal:
1. Place bike on center stand.
2. From right side of bike, using a #14 socket and extension, remove upper shock nut and washer from bolt.
3800222.jpg

3. Using a #14 on the nut and a #17 on the lower shoulder bolt head, remove the lower nut and washer.

3799523.jpg

4. Using a floor jack under one of your swingarm legs, slowly jack up the swingarm until tension is relieved from the lower shock shoulder bolt (will move or twist), and remove shoulder bolt and larger washer.
3799525.jpg

5. Using something long and thin, push out the upper shock bolt.

6. Remove the shock.

3799527.jpg  

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Installation
1. Install the upper end of the Penske shock first by placing into position between the fork shaped bracket. It may help to orient the bushings in the Penske shock perpendicular to the shaft.
2. Push the upper bolt from the left side through the shock and fork shaped bracket (I used long forceps), wiggling the shock up and down and side to side until things will fit. I needed to raise or lower the swingarm to keep the remote reservoir elbow from hitting.

3799533.jpg

3. Turn the bolt until it can be fully installed (one flat of the bolt needs to be aligned with the fork shaped bracket to fully install or it will hit).
4. Install the washer and nut on the upper shock bolt finger tight.
5. Remove the lower dog bone bolt and nut to ease installation (I could not get the lower shock bolt in until I did this as the swingarm is in the way).

3799648.jpg

6. Rotate the lower pivot and raise or lower the swingarm until the lower shock shoulder bolt (with larger washer attached) can be installed.
7. Install the smaller washer and nut on the lower shock shoulder bolt.
8. Raise or lower the swingarm until the dogbone bolt can be installed, then install nut.
9. There are torque values for all these bolts and nuts, but you will only be able to get a box wrench/open end wrench on most of them, so German torque here.
10. Remember to final tighten the upper shock nut (bolt is retained from moving), lower shock shoulder bolt/nut, and dogbone lower bolt/nut.
11. Secure the remote reservoir to the left side of the bike, I used heavy duty ZipTies and sticky backed felt strip to prevent rubbing.

12. When adjusting the Penske preload, make sure the little allen screw in the adjusting nut is loose and to tighten it when done with preload adjustment.

3799536.jpg  

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
The finished product:

3799902.jpg

For future reference, here is the Traxxion factory settings:

HS Compression 14 out
Rebound 18 out
Preload, 12mm
LS Compression N/A
Spring Rate 600 lbs
Eye to Eye 330mm
Setup by BC

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
So how do I like my new Penske 8983 shock?
I love it thank you. The sharp edge hit on high speed bumps is gone.
So did I change the shock settings from the Traxxion settings, nope. Took my tools and everything, felt good so I left it alone. I will probably tinker at a later date (seems to be what I do), but for now I am very happy.
The Andreani fork cartridges really compliment the shock. My bike is pretty good now, just need a flash and a damper installed and I am done.
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Am also getting ready to do a Penske install-double clicker-Is it easier if you remove the rear wheel?
No, not at all for this bike. The shock and linkage are all forward of the rear tire. See blowup of picture for working area. 
[attachment id=51" thumbnail="1]

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

So how do I like my new Penske 8983 shock? I love it thank you. The sharp edge hit on high speed bumps is gone.
So did I change the shock settings from the Traxxion settings, nope. Took my tools and everything, felt good so I left it alone. I will probably tinker at a later date (seems to be what I do), but for now I am very happy.
The Andreani fork cartridges really compliment the shock. My bike is pretty good now, just need a flash and a damper installed and I am done.
Where did you buy your Andreani fork cartridges?  I only see them listed for the FZ 09.  i suppose they are the same but I am hesitant to order them.  

• Premium Member
So how do I like my new Penske 8983 shock? I love it thank you. The sharp edge hit on high speed bumps is gone.
Where did you buy your Andreani fork cartridges?  I only see them listed for the FZ 09.  i suppose they are the same but I am hesitant to order them.
They are the same. I ordered from the Omnia Racing website direct from Italy. Great exchange rate right now, so I pulled the trigger. They say they will custom install a spring to your weight, but they all come the same so you may have to order different springs if you are more than 180lbs (my weight and the springs seem fine). Under $500 shipped to my door. There is a US vendor, but he is hundreds more. Make sure you order a spring compressor as you will need it. See my fork cartridge install in the how to section. linky 
  • Thumbsup 1
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
5. Remove the lower dog bone bolt and nut to ease installation (I could not get the lower shock bolt in until I did this as the swingarm is in the way).

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/1826/penske-8983-fj-shock-replacement?page=1&scrollTo=19132#ixzz3ekBhaDBM

A dumb question: How did you get the lower shock bolt out if you didn't remove the lower dog bone bolt for the removal of the shock?  And what did you do with the big wad of tubes and the hard mounted mass that obscures the removal of the top bolt? And, many thanks for posting this "how -to" with pictures.

• Premium Member
Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/1826/penske-8983-fj-shock-replacement?page=1&scrollTo=19132#ixzz3ekBhaDBM

A dumb question: How did you get the lower shock bolt out if you didn't remove the lower dog bone bolt for the removal of the shock?  And what did you do with the big wad of tubes and the hard mounted mass that obscures the removal of the top bolt? And, many thanks for posting this "how -to" with pictures.

Good question, the lower shock bolt will come out with some finessing, but is a royal pain to install. Plus the lower shock mount is shaped a little differently on the Penske. Only takes 2 minutes to remove the lower dog bone bolt, so no biggie.  
I just pushed the hoses/lines/wires to the side to insert my socket with extension. You will figure it out when you get there. You could always take off the fuel tank, but that might be a bigger pain. The removal took 1/2 hour. The install took 2-1/2 hours for a first timer writing procedures and taking pictures as I went. The upper mount is the biggest headache. Just orient the upper mount properly and wiggle and turn side to side to get it to fit. I could do it in 15 minutes now me thinks. A second set of hands to hold a punch through the mount holes until you can insert the upper shock bolt would be helpful also. I used long forceps and pulled them out as I inserted the bolt (like playing twister!)

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 4 weeks later...
Looking into the Penske 8983 for my FJ-09 and had a few questions on where adjustments are made. Probably a suspension novice question but here goes:

WqGAv6oP1QjIf9dqg73OZ_NEtnbfVAvbBdLFeutSuBvqPmIZIfyzmtU3yJgsJ8Chl4oAbKaIFrL4sC8=w1886-h825NnueR4lmAmtJSx8l4IcJwiQJ6a8PmFBjWCqVKLO9OZ28K12zi_8DFW3EoJjkIfbOBWEFqvRjwdg5tps=w1886-h825

Did I get this right?

Also can the ride height be adjusted with the shock installed on the bike?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Don't think so, not by me anyhow. The Compression is adjusted at the remote reservoir, the rebound at the lower red knob, and the preload by a nut by the spring.

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Looking into the Penske 8983 for my FJ-09 and had a few questions on where adjustments are made. Probably a suspension novice question but here goes: 
WqGAv6oP1QjIf9dqg73OZ_NEtnbfVAvbBdLFeutSuBvqPmIZIfyzmtU3yJgsJ8Chl4oAbKaIFrL4sC8=w1886-h825NnueR4lmAmtJSx8l4IcJwiQJ6a8PmFBjWCqVKLO9OZ28K12zi_8DFW3EoJjkIfbOBWEFqvRjwdg5tps=w1886-h825

Did I get this right?

Also can the ride height be adjusted with the shock installed on the bike?

Thanks!

Yes, but disconnect the dog bone links first and spin the lower shock fork, so you don't spin the inside of the shock.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)