Penske 8983 FJ-09 Shock Replacement How To

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
Thanks you much ULEWZ!  
Why remove the dog bone? interference?

Still loving your suspension setup?
Absolutely. Both ends were well worth the money.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
so this is a direct bolt on? I have an option on one from an FZ and would love to jump on it!
Yes, but the elbow fitting is at a different setting. Take a chance if you like and advise back.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

well, im buying it tonight. If you never hear from me again I was killed by another craigslist ax murderer. Otherwise I'll be here trying to wrangle pictures of this elbow thingy to compare with what i get.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

holy crap I just got a P{enske with a spare sprng for $500 because guy sold his fz and just wanted to get rid of it. Anyone know if a 550 spring is decent for a 190 lb guy? Also please, please ,please what is the elbow thats diff? I can see nothing on the shock that looks like an elbow.... sigh.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
holy crap I just got a P{enske with a spare sprng for $500 because guy sold his fz and just wanted to get rid of it. Anyone know if a 550 spring is decent for a 190 lb guy? Also please, please ,please what is the elbow thats diff? I can see nothing on the shock that looks like an elbow.... sigh.
It's where the hose for the remote reservoir hooks to the top of the shock. It's a 90 degree elbow. Check Traxxiondynamics.com for a look at all of the Penske shocks. They would also be able to answer your question about the spring. 
Edit: the correct URL is Traxxion.com  .

thanks peporter. I see what your talking about I suspect I can work with that, if not i'll get the banjo adaptor and have someone local dial it in. I was thinking it was something that would prevent attaching the shock, like the clevis or something. I emailed stoltecmoto as thats where it was purchased from originally, will see what they say about the spring.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I got a 600 lb spring, and I am 180 lbs. 550 lbs is too light.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

thanks ULEWZ. Im in contact with the shocks original provider and discussing springs and options. When I saw the original owner I knew my somewhat, errrr, heftier nature would probably need more.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

after studying the innards out of ULEWZ write-up one thing I would add to hopefully save the next guy a few minutes. I like things spelled out like a childrens book :)

I zoomed in on his tools for removing the lower shock bolt, I found a decent tool for the front axle and a set of tools for the other half of this job; the forks!

fgfLqRZ.jpg

this came about after I went and tried to use regular box wrenches on the shock. Its very tight on the rear of this bike! My V Strom and WR have been spoiling me with easy access to everything ;)
And then I noticed my typo will be forever preserved on the internet. 
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

after putting it off for a couple weeks the job took less than an hour. This is the stoltecmoto version of the Penske:
http://www.stoltecmoto.com/shop/fz-09/14-fz-09-penske-8983-double-clicker/

A little awkward on the external mount but it works:
3eyfhPz.jpg
SETH7sA.jpg?1
4bD6098.jpg

seemed stable and accessible if not as neatly mounted as the traxxion version.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 1 month later...
Thanks you much ULEWZ!  
Why remove the dog bone? interference?

Still loving your suspension setup?
Thx to Lewis for this how to. Just to add to this thread.. if you take out the pivot bolt, let the rear wheel drop down, the shock end mount pivots up on the dog bones making access to the lower bolt a piece of cake.

s4.JPG

s5.JPG

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Good add Ty.
"Thx to Lewis for this how to. Just to add to this thread.. if you take out the pivot bolt, let the rear wheel drop down, the shock end mount pivots up on the dog bones making access to the lower bolt a piece of cake."
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)