Penske 8983 FJ-09 Shock Replacement How To

ULEWZ

Just finished installing the penske double clicker shock. It really helps if you have a buddy to help. I know it can be done with one person but another set of hands cuts down the installation time from a couple of hours to 15 minutes. That's for getting the top and bottom bolts in. Which is 90% of the job.

1. I didn't use a jack to raise the rear of the bike. I used a paddock stand.

2. Like pattonme, I aligned the holes on the top of the shock by having my buddy raise / lower the paddock stand until the top holes aligned then used an L shaped allen key to hold it in place

3. Again with my buddy raising / lowering the paddock stand I got the lower bolt in in only a couple of minutes. Ditto for the top. In that sequence.

4. I found it a lot easier to completely remove the tank. Looking down on the top bolt beats doing it from the sides.

5. I didn't have to remove the lower dog bone bolt as well.

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

Great video for shock install

Used this to swap the rear shock. I just used the centerstand instead of lifts. His explanation of reconnecting the lower mount was important - I was truly stuck. 

To get the back wheel up to align the shock mounts I used a mix of scrap 2x4, 4x4, and a couple of paperback books to get the right height. 

On the OE hard luggage brace between the footers, I did need to loosen 1 nut and remove the other and swing the brace out of the way to get the shock in. 

It takes a little time but the only tools are a torque wrench, a few sockets and an extender, and a few open wrenches.  The total cost in tools should be less than what you'd pay a mechanic to do it once. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

Great video for shock install

Used this to swap the rear shock. I just used the centerstand instead of lifts. His explanation of reconnecting the lower mount was important - I was truly stuck. 

To get the back wheel up to align the shock mounts I used a mix of 2x4, 4x4, and a couple of paperback books to get the right height.

It is much, MUCH easier to accomplish without the rear wheel installed.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/10/2020 at 3:10 PM, betoney said:

It is much, MUCH easier to accomplish without the rear wheel installed.

Did you mean the rear swing arm? Removing the whole rear swing arm definitely would make it easier. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Did you mean the rear swing arm? Removing the whole rear swing arm definitely would make it easier. 

I was meaning remove the wheel at least for more access, he was talking about jacking up the wheel to line up the shock mount bolts. 

If the swingarm is out of the way it is a piece of cake, 👍🏻

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***