Difficult upshifting under hard acceleration

• Premium Member
Strange problem here: Sometimes under hard acceleration my transmission refuses to upshift. I've had it happen between 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5. I pull in the clutch all the way, click up on the shift lever, but it won't move. The problem goes away after double or triple clutching, but it's acting like an old British sports car with bad syncros.

Downshifting is no problem, and my shift shaft has the little blue dot indicating the recall has been done. Mileage is 1350 miles. Has anyone else had this?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had that happen a few times, when its happened to me I had shifted up and not let the shifter go back down before I tried to shift again. I don't know if its the same thing or not.

I'm not trying to be funny, Adjust your shift lever up a little. Problem solved.

The lever is not returning all the way back down after the previous shift. Do the adjustment. It's quick and easy to undo if it does not help.

The reason it is more likely to happen under hard acceleration is that your foot/body position is slightly different. 
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

I'm not trying to be funny, Adjust your shift lever up a little. Problem solved. 
The lever is not returning all the way back down after the previous shift. Do the adjustment. It's quick and easy to undo if it does not help.

The reason it is more likely to happen under hard acceleration is that your foot/body position is slightly different. 
mjs, I think you have this right. As soon as one realizes this the problem goes away. 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I can confirm this solves the issue.  When your boot is putting pressure on the shifter I can't be changed easily.  Some on some other bikes.
I'm fresh [em](well, three months ago!)[/em] off a series of BMW boxer twins, with their notoriously slow-to-engage gear shifts. I have found that I use an entirely different gear-changing procedure now instead of the clutch-in/ wait a bit/ move the pedal process on the BMWs.
Now, I preload the pedal by putting a little foot pressure on it, up or down, then when ready to shift immediately go through with the pressing action, clutch lever pulled right in.   I could count on the fingers of one foot how many 'fluffed' changes I've had since adopting this procedure early on, a quick and smooth change always following...   FWIW...
L of S

With about 5800km on my FJ the transmission and shifting is as smooth as silk. I moved the shifter to it's upper limit within the first few hundred kilometers to help avoid the hung shift. Once you learn to let the shifter return fully to center after each shift the transmission feels as clean as a whistle.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Follow up: I've ridden about 400 miles since adjusting the shifter up and haven't had a single recurrence. Shifting is now flawless. Thanks for the tips!

• 1 month later...
Although I posted an improvement when shifting after adjusting the shift lever height, I find the adjustment makes buttery smooth shifting when I am upshifting at a conservative or docile pace. When accelerating hard the upshift is difficult. Meaning I have to pull up with quite a bit of pressure to get into the next gear. It feels clunky. If this is normal fine but it is quite annoying. I'm trying to figure out what I can do differently but this bike screams to be ridden briskly.

Similarly if I accelerate hard in 2nd to move ahead of traffic then would like to upshift and cruise at a lower rpm, I find the upshift difficult and then a huge amount of engine braking until I move up 3 gears. What am I doing wrong?

Archived