Difficult upshifting under hard acceleration

I found that mine was the opposite, if I was accelerating hard it shifts smoother than if Im taking it easy.

I just changed the oil to Mobil1 4t Racing and now it shifts buttery smooth. It was pretty notchy with the stock oil and Rotella but it was still breaking in.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
What about down shifting? (hope this isn't too far off OP) That's where I'm getting problems. Especially if I'm nearly stopped and want to change down ready for the green light or at a junction. Right PITA it is?

Could that be me not releasing the pressure between shifts?

What about clutch not fully disengaging? When I just want to shift in the garage, say, and go to wheel it in gear, engine off, clutch all the way in, I can't budge it - have to select neutral. Never had that before.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
What about down shifting? (hope this isn't too far off OP) That's where I'm getting problems. Especially if I'm nearly stopped and want to change down ready for the green light or at a junction. Right PITA it is? 

What about clutch not fully disengaging? When I just want to shift in the garage, say, and go to wheel it in gear, engine off, clutch all the way in, I can't budge it - have to select neutral. Never had that before.
What gear are you in by the time you come to a standstill at a traffic light?

• Premium Member

Yes, I find the same thing when reversing into the garage - difficult to shift unless in neutral. Also, with the engine running there is enough friction for the rear wheel to rotate if the rear is under no load, on the main stand. Seems the gap between clutch plates is small - it's not enough of a problem for me to bother checking to see if there is an adjustment. I just select neutral before getting off the bike to reverse it into the garage. 

As far as downshifts can be concerned, I find at speed they are quite slick. They can be a bit sticky if you coast to a stop light or junction in 3rd gear then try to select 1st or neutral whilst stationary. I find a slight flick of the clutch lever makes things happen. This probably uses the friction mentioned above to put a little load on the gear, easing the shift.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Yes, thats what I do too. The gearbox/clutch isn't this bike's most endearing feature is it!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

normally 1st, but trying to get there can be a challenge because of the non-slicknessness of the change down.

• Premium Member

normally 1st, but trying to get there can be a challenge because of the non-slicknessness of the change down.
I don't have any non-slicknessness, maybe I have the un-non-slicknessness gearbox. It usually is a sign of clutch problems if you have difficulty changing down or finding neutral.

I don't find the transmission to be bad at all. Ive owned 2 Kawasakis and 2 Yamahas and the FJ is no more clunky than the other Yamaha I owned and smoother than both Kawasakis. I have no issues with up shifts or down shifts.

I have also noticed on all my bikes that with the rear wheel off the ground even in neutral the wheel will spin slightly. I think that is just the nature of wet clutches. I could be wrong so if someone has technical information feel free to correct me.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I don't find the transmission to be bad at all. Ive owned 2 Kawasakis and 2 Yamahas and the FJ is no more clunky than the other Yamaha I owned and smoother than both Kawasakis. I have no issues with up shifts or down shifts. 
I have also noticed on all my bikes that with the rear wheel off the ground even in neutral the wheel will spin slightly. I think that is just the nature of wet clutches. I could be wrong so if someone has technical information feel free to correct me.

You are right, it's just the friction in this transmission that seems more than other bikes I have owned or ridden. I've never had a bike where there was this much resistance to pushing it if you have a gear selected and pull the clutch in.

None of this is enough to worry about as I simply adapt my technique to accommodate the quirk. I have a high tolerance for mechanical quirkiness derived from growing up in a farming family and working in a Fiat dealership in the 1980s. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

All the bikes I've ever owned, the rear wheel will spin when off the ground in neutral.

Now you come to mention the wet nature of my clutch < no room for typographical error there!.. as far as I remember all the bikes I previously owned had dry clutches - that makes sense as the cold oil on the Tracer would be viscous and explain the lack disengagement

• Premium Member

This really sounds like the clutch adjustment needs looking after. If you're pulling the clutch lever all the way and still can't roll the bike (doesn't matter what gear you're in) then no wonder you're having shifting issues. Have the dealer check the clutch adjustment. Good luck.
PS - I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil with no shifting issues.

You are right, it's just the friction in this transmission that seems more than other bikes I have owned or ridden. I've never had a bike where there was this much resistance to pushing it if you have a gear selected and pull the clutch in. 
None of this is enough to worry about as I simply adapt my technique to accommodate the quirk. I have a high tolerance for mechanical quirkiness derived from growing up in a farming family and working in a Fiat dealership in the 1980s. 
Ah Fiat.. Fix It Again Tony! I drive a VW though.. Virtually Worthless!

Archived