Impressions vs. 2013 Street Triple R (previous bike):

FJ-09 Pros:

- WAY more legroom, ESPECIALLY with seat in high position
- More intuitive handling
- WAY smoother ride
- Less upset by bumps in corners; less tracking of grooves in pavement

FJ-09 Cons:

- Transmission slightly clunky
- Sound is not as pretty as Triumph (could perhaps be addressed with exhaust swap?)
- Handlebars buzzy (from what I understand, this may go away on its own, and/or go away with ECU flash)
- Handlebars are a bit higher than I like...arms get a little tired (less of a problem with seat in high position, but I may still look into addressing this)
- The windscreen sucks every which way above 35mph. My best results were screen in low position, seat in high position, but it was still not great. Street Triple with tiny Puig screen has my head in very smooth air.

FJ-09 Next Steps:

- Madstad windscreen
- Shad rear rack (available now from Shad) and SH-48 topcase (available now from Amazon)
- Maybe remove handguards (they feel very wide when lanesplitting)

I think I may not buy the hard saddlebags. If I do serious traveling, I may be good with topcase (stays on bike) and seat bag (comes with me).

All in all, it is everything I was looking for--a comfortable highway bike that is still light and fun in the city, nice triple oomph, snappy handling, real two-up capablity, etc.

Very happy so far!

• Thumbsup 1

Congrats. I had mine for a few weeks. I ordered the top case and I am still waiting for the dealer to get the necessary mounting bracket. I have been using the bike for commuting and so far so good. I am doing some research on adding saddlebags for trips. The OEM ones are too expensive for my liking.

• Premium Member
You will be much happier with a different windscreen. I have settled on the Cal Sci for now, but the MadStad looks promising. Just a tad ugly for my taste for now.
  • Thumbsup 1
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Update:

- Shad rear rack and SH-48 top case installed! Love it. Rack seems solid. FWIW Shad rack is available now from Shad, whereas Yamaha rack is on backorder. It sounds to me like the Yamaha rack might actually be made by Shad? But I don't know if the two units are identical. I'll figure this out at some point when I meet up with more of you all. Shad rack is cheaper than Yamaha rack, although some of the difference goes away when you look at shipping costs vs. picking up Yamaha part from the dealer. I trust/hope that the Shad rack is just as strong/high-quality as the Yamaha rack. One note: If you want to install both top case and hard side bags, you'll need longer screws, since they go in the same holes.

- SH-48 is great. Seems like good balance between huge and not too heavy. Stock SH-48 would look esp good on a grey FJ-09 as-is, since top panel is gray/"carbon". I may spend the extra $$ and get a red top panel for the SH-48...but this is not a high priority. SH-48 opening mechanism seems slightly overcomplicated compared to the Givi MonoLock I used to have (I haven't used MonoKey). MonoLock is light-duty, so maybe that's why it's easy to open and close. We'll see how I feel about SH-48 after I've lived with it for a while. Oh, SH-48 lock is a bit reluctant. Graphite didn't help. I trust it will smooth out with use.

- Handguards removed entirely (they made me nervous when lanesplitting...and they had to be fiddled with for the Madstad screen anyway). Question to folks who have removed handguards: Did you install some kind of bar ends or weights or something in place?

- Madstad 20" light tint installed! Looks pretty good IMO. Will post pictures when I get around to it! I am male 5'10" / 177cm or so, typical proportions I think. Madstad has huge range of adjustment. I will be playing with it, but I am pretty sure that I will be able to have zero wind noise if I move the screen all the way up, and good ventilation without unreasonable turbulence if I have it down. I will report back.

- An expert friend of mine who has a 2008 Multistrada 1100S (air-cooled) rode an FJ-09 and said that it was "everything [his] Multistrada is but better in every way", and that he "even liked the stock suspension". I think reviewers etc. who compare the FJ to the Versys and V-Strom may be making the wrong comparison. In terms of the sport/touring/quasi-adventure, light-weight, riding position, etc., the FJ is closer to the Multi than anything else I've seen or ridden (granted, my experience is not extensive). For me, at this point in my motorcycle life, the adjustability, value, and (anticipated) easy maintenance of the FJ more than make up for the extra few horses of a new Multistrada. And then there's the BMW S1000XR, which will be interesting to see... Would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

@cobby7 @wong93719 @ulewz thanks for your replies!

Alejandro

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
And then there's the BMW S1000XR, which will be interesting to see... Would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this. 

Alejandro
I have sat on, but not ridden, the S1000XR, having been a glued-on BMW rider for many years. Apart from the cost - almost 2 x that of the Tracer - it is not for me, although having BMW's legendary excellent finish and fit and many inclusions as standard.   Just sitting on it in the showroom it felt very, [em]very[/em] big and bulky (and I have owned GSs, so I know big and bulky!). I'm sure it will sell quite well, but for many, even hardened BMW aficionados, the price will be a huge turn-off...
YMMV, of course...
L of S

• Premium Member
 For me, at this point in my motorcycle life, the adjustability, value, and (anticipated) easy maintenance of the FJ more than make up for the extra few horses of a new Multistrada. And then there's the BMW S1000XR, which will be interesting to see... Would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this. 

Alejandro
Took the GTS1000 in for a state inspection this morning and saw the new BMW S1000XR! About $18,200. Looked nice! Except I can't get past the duckbill platypus front fairing. IMG_0220.JPGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLuAzZuA8f-9UgYZlORz1-g3WRQQDf7jBJ06k2FHrwe8Fgsu7H
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

For me, at this point in my motorcycle life, the adjustability, value, and (anticipated) easy maintenance of the FJ more than make up for the extra few horses of a new Multistrada. And then there's the BMW S1000XR, which will be interesting to see... Would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this. 

Alejandro
Took the GTS1000 in for a state inspection this morning and saw the new BMW S1000XR! About $18,200. Looked nice! Except I can't get past the duckbill platypus front fairing. IMG_0220.JPGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLuAzZuA8f-9UgYZlORz1-g3WRQQDf7jBJ06k2FHrwe8Fgsu7H
Platypus is a fun word to say. Platypus. Lol. It'd be worth it to me to buy that bike just so I could say platypus more often.

Update: 
- Shad rear rack and SH-48 top case installed! Love it. Rack seems solid. FWIW Shad rack is available now from Shad, whereas Yamaha rack is on backorder. It sounds to me like the Yamaha rack might actually be made by Shad? But I don't know if the two units are identical. I'll figure this out at some point when I meet up with more of you all. Shad rack is cheaper than Yamaha rack, although some of the difference goes away when you look at shipping costs vs. picking up Yamaha part from the dealer. I trust/hope that the Shad rack is just as strong/high-quality as the Yamaha rack. One note: If you want to install both top case and hard side bags, you'll need longer screws, since they go in the same holes.

- SH-48 is great. Seems like good balance between huge and not too heavy. Stock SH-48 would look esp good on a grey FJ-09 as-is, since top panel is gray/"carbon". I may spend the extra $$ and get a red top panel for the SH-48...but this is not a high priority. SH-48 opening mechanism seems slightly overcomplicated compared to the Givi MonoLock I used to have (I haven't used MonoKey). MonoLock is light-duty, so maybe that's why it's easy to open and close. We'll see how I feel about SH-48 after I've lived with it for a while. Oh, SH-48 lock is a bit reluctant. Graphite didn't help. I trust it will smooth out with use.

- Handguards removed entirely (they made me nervous when lanesplitting...and they had to be fiddled with for the Madstad screen anyway). Question to folks who have removed handguards: Did you install some kind of bar ends or weights or something in place?

- Madstad 20" light tint installed! Looks pretty good IMO. Will post pictures when I get around to it! I am male 5'10" / 177cm or so, typical proportions I think. Madstad has huge range of adjustment. I will be playing with it, but I am pretty sure that I will be able to have zero wind noise if I move the screen all the way up, and good ventilation without unreasonable turbulence if I have it down. I will report back.

- An expert friend of mine who has a 2008 Multistrada 1100S (air-cooled) rode an FJ-09 and said that it was "everything [his] Multistrada is but better in every way", and that he "even liked the stock suspension". I think reviewers etc. who compare the FJ to the Versys and V-Strom may be making the wrong comparison. In terms of the sport/touring/quasi-adventure, light-weight, riding position, etc., the FJ is closer to the Multi than anything else I've seen or ridden (granted, my experience is not extensive). For me, at this point in my motorcycle life, the adjustability, value, and (anticipated) easy maintenance of the FJ more than make up for the extra few horses of a new Multistrada. And then there's the BMW S1000XR, which will be interesting to see... Would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

Alejandro

As far as bar end weights go, I ordered a set of FZ-09 weights from my dealer for $26 including tax and they fit right on. The trans get smoother, I have about 3k miles on mine and it has smoothed out nicely. Had them adjust the shifter 2 weeks ago because of an excessive amount of false neutrals I was getting and it's much better now. 

Hahaha if you think the BMW looks like a platypus, check out the new Strom 650XT... 
093014-2015-suzuki-v-strom-650xt-DL650XAL5_action_17.jpg
 Ya, I have to say I don't get the current trend of "beaks" on the front of adventure bikes nowadays. Do they serve any purpose at all? 
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I guess it evolved from the pointy supermoto style fender. People would but them on their Ktm's with rally fairings. Or just to slightly resemble older endure bikes? It looks ridiculous to have the beak and a front fender. I don't get it either...

• Premium Member
Hahaha if you think the BMW looks like a platypus, check out the new Strom 650XT... 
093014-2015-suzuki-v-strom-650xt-DL650XAL5_action_17.jpg
No, no!!! The Strom is Donald Duck!! 
donald-duck-clip-art-thumbs_donald-duck-vectors11.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Thanks @brmidd. For bar-end weights, I wound up doing what someone in another thread suggested, and repurposed some pieces of the handguards and some bolts. Looks okay, not perfect, but I didn't want to be running around with open holes at the ends of my handlebars. Cycle Gear has some interesting bar ends I might look at. Some of them contain real carbon fiber. Carbon fiber bar ends should be good for ~4hp, so I may do this as an inexpensive performance upgrade.

Madstad arrived and installed. Still working out settings. Will update when it's in final configuration.

@lawrenceofsuburbia, at first I was slightly surprised when you said that the S1000XR was so big and heavy. But I guess it makes sense, since the S1000RR itself is one of the porkier supersports. It will be interesting to see a "heavyweight adventure bike" shootout that includes both the S1000XR and the R1200GS.

I was at the (independent) shop yesterday and overheard the owner talking on the phone to someone with an Aprilia about what it would cost him if he lost his key (thousands of dollars). Let us thank the wise folks at Yamaha for giving us a key that is simply a key.

• Premium Member
I was at the (independent) shop yesterday and overheard the owner talking on the phone to someone with an Aprilia about what it would cost him if he lost his key (thousands of dollars). Let us thank the wise folks at Yamaha for giving us a key that is simply a key.

In Europe the bike is equipped with an immobiliser. Each key has a transponder in it which is detected by an antenna in the ignition lock barrel. You get 2 black keys for everyday use and a special red one, used for reprogramming a new key if you lose or more likely break one of the black cheese ones.

Like the Aprilia, it gets expensive if you lose the red key or acquire a used bike without one.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.