just got my FJ-09 yesterday! impressions vs Street Triple R

• Premium Member
Interesting--yah. Something about having to replace the ignition lock barrel and the throttle body (which involves waiting around for some time), and having to re-flash the ECU. That actually does sound like a pretty good theft deterrent.

• 10 months later...
Actually I am considering adding a 2016 street triple r(x) to my garage just as a playbike. Haven't ridden one but have read most everything written about them.

What I am looking for is something lighter, better brakes and better handling than the fj-09 in addition to my fj. Would keep the fj as it has the bags, some wind protection, more power etc. Will always yet have a bigger bike yet for longer rides (currently I have an older rt.

Other bikes that interest me is the s1000xr (would have one if they were not so buzzy), a new r1200rt if they ever get less ugly again, an africa twin. And triumph is rumored to have a 800 cc street triple in the works that might come in 5 flavors (including semi faired). 

• Premium Member
@bgigharbor : Let me understand--you currently have an FJ-09 and an older RT. You are thinking of replacing the FJ with an S1000XR, and replacing your older RT with a new R1200RT. And you're looking for a playbike.

At the end of the day, the Street Triple isn't ALL that different from the FJ. They are both midweight naked-ish triples. The Street Triple would undoubtedly be better on a track, and could be faster on very well-paved high-speed twisties (which there aren't many of in my parts). Beyond that, I'll take the FJ.

So if I were in your shoes...

How about an RC390? Or a Daytona or other 600cc-class supersport? Or an electric?

@bgigharbor : Let me understand--you currently have an FJ-09 and an older RT. You are thinking of replacing the FJ with an S1000XR, and replacing your older RT with a new R1200RT. And you're looking for a playbike. 
At the end of the day, the Street Triple isn't ALL that different from the FJ. They are both midweight naked-ish triples. The Street Triple would undoubtedly be better on a track, and could be faster on very well-paved high-speed twisties (which there aren't many of in my parts). Beyond that, I'll take the FJ.

So if I were in your shoes...

How about an RC390? Or a Daytona or other 600cc-class supersport? Or an electric?
In terms of replacing, I'd probably get rid of the old rt if I buy a new rt, but other than that I most likely would just add bikes to the garage.  
The rc390 just has too much forward lean sports bike style for my old body and bad wrist.  I do like the thought of something really small to throw around for fun.

Actually I will probably buy an electric some time in the next year or two for fun but I live pretty rural and most of my rides are at least 150 miles.  So the range is the problem.

The fj-09 is a fun bike but I don't enjoy the suspension on anything but smooth roads and not sure if I want to chase suspension upgrads or not.  I do love the relative light weight and the  motor for the easy acceleration at any speeds.   Brakes are only okay.  My thinking with the street triple rx (or maybe the 2017 str rs) would be to get that performance out of the box in a lightweight playbike.  Aggressive cornering is what I bike for.  I endure straight roads to get to the next corner.....

I do ride what I have and rode around 14k miles in the last 6 months for example on my bikes.  So not simply lusting after new bikes, although lust  I do.

I'm sideline right now with a broken ankle, but probably should as next step upgrade the fj suspension a bit and see where that gets me.  The choices are bewiildering though and I am one of those few that would prefer to buy a good adjustable suspension out of the box. I wish yamaha had offered a high end suspension and braking option but that is not their goal with the fj.  The motor in the 09's is such a hoot to ride, and that will continue to sell bikes for them.

• Premium Member
My previous ride was a 2012 Street Triple R and I agree with your observations alejandro. I was most surprised at how the FJ-09 likes to lean over even more than the STR. I'm 1500 miles in and the transmission clunkiness is smoothing out.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

I park next to a Street Triple sometimes, and it's much smaller than the FJ. Looks like lots of fun. But I've also thrown a leg over the Ducati Scrambler, and that looks even more fun.
Saw your comment on the Scrambler, I owned one for a year before moving up to the FJ a couple weeks ago. The Scrambler is a really fun little bike, but if you're one of the people that complains about the FJ being built to a price point regarding the suspension, brakes, seat, fueling, whatever; you probably won't enjoy the Scrambler. The Scrambler's fueling is like an on/off switch (and even after getting the ECU flashed I's say it's still not as good the FJ in STD mode), the suspension is shockingly bad, the brakes are wooden and weak, the seat is a torture device (plus there's very little leg room and if you're over around 5'6" or so you're probably going to be cramped), it struggles on the highway and it will be a much more expensive bike to maintain. Not to say it's all bad, the bike is very toss-able, would be better for mild off road than the FJ, it's probably a better fit if you a shorter rider, and finally is a fun bike to ride. YMMV, but for me the FJ is a huge leap in ride quality, although I really need to so something about the windscreen!  

• Premium Member
These last few posts have been particularly helpful. I'm coming from a '12 Street Triple R and I'm struggling with the decision to unload it in favor of the FJ. I really love the Triumph as it's truly a fantastic little bike. But that's part of the problem...it's little...and I'm looking for something that's as fun, but more substantial, I guess. I take annual camping trips with my brothers and occasionally take the better half on day rides and, while the Street would happily oblige, it could be a bit cramped.

• 4 years later...
  • Premium Member

Got to ride a 2017 Street Triple RS last month. It's my friend's bike for track days up to overnighters. What a great, fun bike. The motor is smoother and it pulls better up top. The FJ is a little rougher and pulls much better down low. The Street Triple almost feels like a smooth, big 4. 

The STriple turns faster. It weighs almost 100# less than the FJ so that makes sense. Suspension is world's better - so much smoother. Much sportier riding position, but I think I could live with it. I was surprised by the leg room - maybe CBR F4 to VFR800 legroom? 

Temps were in the high 40s and I very much appreciated the better wind protection on the FJ. Good even wind pressure on the Street Triple, though. 

New they cost under $13k. A little steep for me, but fair considering everything you get. If they had a little more space for soft luggage, I might have ended up with one back in 2015. 

1226201435~3.jpg

• Thumbsup 1