Graves Exhaust installed and Dyno Run

GoldenPenguin

• Premium Member
Are you guys buying any sort of FI controller or just sending your ECU's to get flashed? I know one of the features of the Graves is the extra bung hole for such controllers, but I guess its not needed?
I had my ECU flashed by 2WheelDynoWorks. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you guys buying any sort of FI controller or just sending your ECU's to get flashed? I know one of the features of the Graves is the extra bung hole for such controllers, but I guess its not needed?
Not needed. The ECU flash is designed to completely replace the need for a fuel controller. The flash was custom built on the dyno for this bike and this specific exhaust. It's perfect.

• 3 months later...
I got my Graves today, installed it and didnt need to do the washer trick. I had plenty of room too. 

ECU flash this Saturday at 9am 2WheelDyno is coming back to Spokane!

centerstand up, tons of room
gtYpFH1.jpg

Looks pretty sexy!
zRmfedL.jpg

Ixil is for sale ( cheap ) :)
Really intriguing that you had so much clearance... I just installed mine yesterday and the muffler wants to contact both the swingarm and the center stand.  Kicking myself because I didnt put painter's tape on the swingarm before install and ended up marring it a bit.  In any case I tried the 'extra washer' trick but that leaves maybe 1mm clearance between muffler and swingarm (with the bike on the center stand, swingarm at full drop), and the muffler band still kisses the center stand.  Pretty sure I'm going to end up grinding the corner of the center stand tab because I like the look, weight and sound of the exhaust too much  :-/ :)

A word of warning to FJ-09 owners considering the Graves Titanium/Carbon Fiber full exhaust:

I had considerable clearance issues with the swingarm and center stand. I couldn't use the 'extra washer' trick because it caused the muffler to contact the swingarm at full drop. Also, I had to remove a pretty good amount of material from the upper center stand bracket as well as the perch that holds the rubber grommet/stopper on the center stand.

I know that other FJ riders have had no issues with clearances on this exhaust system, and some have simply had to add washers between the bracket and the muffler strap, but I was not so lucky... so your experience may vary. The exhaust system is gorgeous, the craftsmanship is exceptional, the sound is great, and the weight reduction is phenomenal... but I can't help but feel frustrated with fitment/alignment issues like this on an $1100+ exhaust...

So is there a determination on why some people have better fitment? Are the white/silver? and gold stickered version of different dimensions? 
Has anyone from Canada found a good vendor for this exhaust?
No idea yet... hopefully I am the only one who has had issues.  Since my last post I even ended up having to grind down the tab that holds the spring on the inside of the rear brake pedal, as it was contacting the muffler when I used the rear brake.

I have an email out to Graves about it but they haven't gotten back to me. I'll update if/when I hear from them.

• 1 month later...
Bummer you guys are having fitment problems. All I did was very loosely install the pipes, then position the can in the best spot possible and tighten from back to front.

I am pretty sure you guys did the same thing so no idea why mine worked out so well.

Im just over 3k miles with the Graves and still love the damn thing.

Bummer you guys are having fitment problems. All I did was very loosely install the pipes, then position the can in the best spot possible and tighten from back to front. 
I am pretty sure you guys did the same thing so no idea why mine worked out so well.

Im just over 3k miles with the Graves and still love the damn thing.
Yeah... installed the same way.  Been a bit of a pain but I still love the exhaust.  Looks great, particularly the headers, and sounds like a giant cyborg tiger made of chainsaws  :P

• 4 weeks later...
once installed, (with/without flash the ecu), do u guys have the single popping sound when shifting up the gear during hard acceleration? Sounds like a flame sound. It happens frequently at 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. Because I have used autotune with my PCV two week with 200 miles already, still have that annoying sound!!!!

Plug your AIS. It's the hose leading to the valve, and two covers with ports on the valve cover.

Or remove it completely with block off plates and a plug on the air box. (Or just buy three rubber caps, and cap the stock plates/hose fittings, and call it good.)

The air injection system is there for your stock cat to work correctly. It helps to burn off all the excess hydrocarbons in the cat.

With no cat, the excess fuel just ignites when it hits free oxygen on the exit of your exhaust, and lights off..

Creating the popping sound. (And throwing flames! :))

once installed, (with/without flash the ecu), do u guys have the single popping sound when shifting up the gear during hard acceleration? Sounds like a flame sound. It happens frequently at 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. Because I have used autotune with my PCV two week with 200 miles already, still have that annoying sound!!!!
I'm pretty sure you have to plug in to the power commander with your laptop and commit the changes for them to take effect. Besides, you can get the flash and sell all your power commander stuff. The PCV only does fuel trims. The flash does fuel, ignition, idle, eliminates need for block off plates, throttle plates, etc... 

Thanks for your advice. I installed the smog block off plates by graves, the popping sounds are all gone. I can feel the sounds are smoother than before.

I know flashing the ECU can solve all the problems. However, I would like to have my own perference on the A/F ratio. 

Archived