seat height adjustments improves comfort...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Following a lead from wessie here I moved my seat from its as-delivered lower height to the taller of the two positions.
From a short and probably not totally-conclusive 120km ride this morning I can report that as he did I found the seat to be a bit more comfortable, no doubt due to my different position on it.
I have the Seat Concepts kit installed, which as I have commented here is rather better than OE, but still not perfect at 7/ 10.   I believe that wessie still manages with the stock perch. As he found (entirely to be expected of course) I was a bit less flat-footed at rest after the adjustment, but not excessively - I could still get both feet on the ground when stopped, but maybe a little more tippy-toed than I ideally like (at 5'9.5" and 31" inseam).
So my approach will be to put the seat back onto its lower setting for my day-to-day shorter outings, which will also help my paddling the bike around in the garage, and then put it onto the higher position when doing longer multi-day stints in the saddle, with less need to be feet-down because of the fewer stops along the way.   This should help with day-in-day-out comfort.
Thanks, wessie!
L of S

[span]So my approach will be to put the seat back onto its lower setting for my day-to-day shorter outings, which will also help my paddling the bike around in the garage, and then put it onto the higher position when doing longer multi-day stints in the saddle, with less need to be feet-down because of the fewer stops along the way.   This should help with day-in-day-out comfort.[/span]
Excellent idea! I'll try that on my next weekend trip. I was ok with the Seat Concepts for comfort on an 880 km back roads day, but my legs wanted more space during the final 2 hours. 
I'm only 30" inseam. But that's good enough for my KTM 690 Enduro, so I should manage on the FJ in higher seat mode.  :)
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Glad it works for someone else and I was not imagining the positive effect. Incidentally, I reinstated the seat bumpers to their stock size.

My theory is that your knee bend is less and your straighter legs take a bit more of the load onto the pegs.

I also found I slide forward less as the seat must be more level in the high position.

If you push back until you sit on the widest part of the seat then you get even more legroom - during my recent trip to France, this was my default position for the leg on motorways. Either the 190 mile schlep across southern England to get to the Channel Tunnel or the bits we did on French autoroute to make up time transferring from one area to another. It was my wonky right knee that got most sore on this trip. Yes, my arse ached on some days but it was not intolerable.

As I have a 32" inseam, I have kept the seat in the high position and after a week back at work, commuting through urban roadworks with lots of stop-start riding when filtering is not possible or there are temporary traffic lights, I find I can reach the ground without problem. Certainly a lot easier than the Super Tenere as there is 50kg less weight and the centre of gravity is so much lower.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived