Parabellum Touring Windshield.. Pics and Review

themilkman

I did but haven't ridden the flyscreen yet. I have a good trip tomorrow morning so I'll report back afterwards.
I also got the 24"' for longer trips, which I rode for a while. I didn't want the gigantic one so went with medium. I'm 6'1" and all wind is off my body now. In the uppermost setting, I can feel the wind vibrating the top of my helmet slightly. Noise is diminished greatly, but on longer trips I'll continue to wear earplugs.
Overall I'm very happy with the function of the touring screen and the looks of the flyscreen so far.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Absolutely love my Parabellum 26".  Rode from Maryland to Oklahoma and back in 4 days, very quiet on the bike now.  Would recommend to all! 
Anyone using the Fly Screen?  I did not get it.

I use the Parabellum flyscreen with a Puig clip on deflector and its the best solution I have tried yet.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Just went on an hour highway trip (each way) with the new flyscreen. I started with it in the down position and felt a consistent wind on my shoulders. More, obviously than with the stock screen, but it was a more consistent wind, rather than getting blown all around with the stocker's buffeting. A little tiring on the highway but not unpleasant in general, especially after coming from a naked and a Sportbike.
On the way back, I slid the flyscreen to the uppermost position and got a slight buffeting side to side as now the wind was off my chest and hitting my shoulders only. My head was in clean air above.
Overall, I love the flyscreen. While it obviously doesn't provide the protection of the touring screen, it's much sportier and more comfortable than the stocker. Plus, the small tinted screen looks much better!

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely love my Parabellum 26".  Rode from Maryland to Oklahoma and back in 4 days, very quiet on the bike now.  Would recommend to all! 
Anyone using the Fly Screen?  I did not get it.

Just purchased this today, should ship out Tuesday, just in time for my trip to North Carolina next weekend! The amount of noise on stock is pretty crazy. I'm 6'1 and using an Arai helmet. Got the 26" per advice from Parabellum. I'll post again after the trip.

I like the look of the windscreen. Looks like you should be in quite a still pocket of air behind it. It looks like the shield came with different blind nuts and screws for mounting. They almost look like 1/4 bolts. I only mention that as a safety issue. There is a reason they use plastic screws from the factory. The shield will breakaway in the event of a crash in which you get high sided over the bars. This mount looks so strong the shield make not come off in a crash.
A little internet search came up with:
https://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com/screwsz.html

• Premium Member
There is a reason they use plastic screws from the factory. The shield will breakaway in the event of a crash in which you get high sided over the bars. This mount looks so strong the shield make not come off in a crash.
Is that why they used plastic?  I'd never had a bike with a screen mounted with plastic bolts before, it seemed completely screwball (so to speak). 
I replaced those bolts with metal immediately after replacing the screen and stripping one of the heads despite very low torque.  I've had to remove the windshield a bunch of times and those plastic screws are just not tolerant of that much use.

In terms of safety, I think the rubber expansion fasteners would likely pull out if given enough force, even without plastic "breakaway" type bolts.  But I don't care, I've never had a bike with breakaway bolts on the windshield before.

BTW,  someone on this group said that the rubber expansion fasteners were plastic threaded as well, warning not to tighten the metal bolts too tightly, but they aren't -- the threading is metal.  You still don't want to crank down on them but they're not going to tear themselves apart at the slightest touch.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I just installed my medium touring screen. I'm 5'11" w/ 32 in in seem. Went for a 30 mile ride to test it out. The first ten miles I set the screen low and was in traffic on I40 with quite a few semi trucks to pass. Speed ranged from 65 to 80. I immediately noticed much less buffeting and wind noise, and passing the trucks was much smoother. Even at the low position I was way more comfortable than stock and very pleased.

So I get off I40 and on state highways. I stopped to raise the shield to the mid position. Zip around slower traffic and up to 90. Perfect! Very little buffeting and I can truly enjoy hearing the triple rev. Didn't think it could get better.

So for the last 10 miles or so I adjust the shield all the way up. To my surprise this was the best position. Visor up at around 70 was no problem and the extra gap at the bottom allowed just enough air through to be pleasant.

This is a great shield.

@tehnoah you will love it.  You can hear the bike and the wind noise is almost gone. 

Buffeting gone, wind noise gone. Again I'm 6'1 32w, 26" screen. Seat was on lowest position, windscreen on the highest. Overall a huge improvement for trips! Significantly less wind hits my torso, which will be great this winter! 
You were right! It's great!

• Premium Member
I just installed my medium touring screen. I'm 5'11" w/ 32 in in seem. Went for a 30 mile ride to test it out. The first ten miles I set the screen low and was in traffic on I40 with quite a few semi trucks to pass. Speed ranged from 65 to 80. I immediately noticed much less buffeting and wind noise, and passing the trucks was much smoother. Even at the low position I was way more comfortable than stock and very pleased. 
So I get off I40 and on state highways. I stopped to raise the shield to the mid position. Zip around slower traffic and up to 90. Perfect! Very little buffeting and I can truly enjoy hearing the triple rev. Didn't think it could get better.

So for the last 10 miles or so I adjust the shield all the way up. To my surprise this was the best position. Visor up at around 70 was no problem and the extra gap at the bottom allowed just enough air through to be pleasant.

This is a great shield.
When we ride together I would love to try your bike for a few miles. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just wanted to add a few more comments on my experience with the medium shield.  I did a 350 mile ride Saturday. Part of the ride was down "The Trace" about 125 miles.  It's a very scenic and historic roadway that is actually a national park.  It is it has a 50 mph speed limit that is normally well patrolled (or so I'm told - I only saw one patrol car)..  Anyway I kept it around 55 mph the whole time - relaxed 6th gear cruise in B mode.  My MGP was 61!

I didn't buy the bike as a fuel saver but that was pretty impressive and I feel the  shield contributed a lot to that!

Also ZERO bug splats on the face shield since putting the screen on..

Hmm, thank guys for all the info, it's very comprehensive !! *thumbs up*

The 24" screen seems to be the best option for the majority of you. Given I am only 5ft 5" this would be more than adequate for me too!

I noticed in the pics, that it is slightly straighter (not as contoured) than the GIVI screen reviewed by Ronbo187 and the actual shape tends to be more inline with the original Yamaha screen. 

How do you go with interference off the hand guards in full lock??  or do they follow through the cut-out on the side of the screen??

Thanks in advance.

Whichever screen I decide on it will be my ALL round screen (just need to save some pennies first  :))

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived