Rusty rear shock

baz

Went to adjust my rear shock, getting the bike ready for trip to Italy in 2 weeks time. I noticed a couple of rusty welds on the rear shock. Do you think this is anything to worry about ? Really don't have the time to get to the dealers for them to check.
> [img]20150707_200012.jpg

20150707_195926.jpg

20150707_200033.jpg

20150707_200106.jpg

• Premium Member
Looks like just surface rust for now. Should be fine as I see no cracks. Get it fixed when you return from your trip, or wire brush it and paint it with some Rustolium or equivalent rust paint.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
something to mention at the next service as it isn't going to affect performance, but is disappointing - just checked mine and it looks okay, as I have the 6000 mile service booked in on 1st Aug. We get a 2 year warranty in the UK so it's something I might overlook now after 4 months but mention a bit later to see if I can get a replacement at the 12,000 mile service.

IIRC, there was a similar batch of rear shocks on some early Super Teneres. I think Yamaha replaced them if someone made a fuss.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'll need a service and a new rear tyre after my trip, will get them to deal with it then. If my heated grips haven't turned up by then I'll be doing plenty shouting.

There were two Tracers at one of the local bike nights last week and both had rust on the rear shocks just like that, one was only 3 weeks out of the showroom....

ACF-50, all of my bikes have been doused with it as one of the first jobs and repeated annually.

• 5 months later...

Archived