Out of gas

Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself a little.  Using the FJ on my short commute this week netted a distance covered of 190 miles.  Well actually, 189.5 miles until the Fj sputtered in the fast lane at 9:50 PM.  I knew I was pushing it a little by not buying more fuel before heading home, but that little voice said, "there is still a little bar showing on the fuel gauge and the gas pump icon only started flashing yesterday, you can make it."  The little voice was wrong.  I worked my way across the other three lanes of traffic with the hazard lights on.  As I reached the shoulder, still rolling, I wagged the bike from side to side to slosh a little more fuel into the bottom of the tank. It worked!.  I repeated this process a couple more times and coasted down the ramp for the last 100 feet into the Shell gas station.  I raised my fist triumphantly in the air and glided silently to the first available pump.  I pumped 4.6 gallons into the tank while on the sidestand and calculated the fuel mileage at 41.3 mpg.  I thought that reasonable due to the velocity of my normal commute. ;)  Note to self... buy gas before commuting 190 miles and don't listen to that little voice!  To extend the range I guess I could slow down a little....

Guest rszk
We were also testing our luck and tanks last trip. I was at 310km or 193 miles when I went to reserve. It counted up another 25km before we hit a gas station. I filled up and I had another 3 liters of fuel before the stated 18 liter capacity.

• Premium Member
as reported before, I did 40 miles on the F trip (I had 4 litres of fuel with me in case I did not complete the last lap of the ring road) and put 17.99 litres (4.75 US gallons) in at a supermarket. The tank holds 18 litres according to Yamaha.

My total mileage was around 220 miles on the tank but on a recent trip with luggage on a French Autoroute, that dropped to 150 miles as I was cruising at 90-100mph for 3 hours to make a Channel Tunnel reservation.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived