• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Goretex Gloves recommendation needed.

efjay

• Premium Member
one thing to make sure of is that whatever you buy has the goretex and any liner bonded to the outer material. It's very irritating if you stop to refuel and then find the inner layers have come out of the fingers when you took the glove off.

Sadly, the Alpinestars glove I have which are made from cordura, fake leather, neoprene and a waterproof membrane are no longer available in the UK. They were from the lower price end of the Drystar range. They are 15 years old, used in summer rain and cooler autumn days, so not many days a year.

Just looked on revzilla and they have them http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-st-1-drystar-gloves but only in 2XL
The Transition is the nearest equivalent in the current range http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-transition-drystar-gloves

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Couple of thoughts.  Held makes the best gloves.  I believe their rain glove is called rain drops.  Check them out.

Secondly,  I think rain gloves should not have leather on them.  Cordura or similar is best, and previous post is right that the liner needs to be attached to the outer glove.  Otherwise you can't take them off when wet, or you'll never get them back on again until they dry out.

I'm using Marsee gloves which are pretty good, but have no armor or protection if you crash.  Also, Marsee clothing line is now long out of production.

For warm rain, I use my $15 dirt bike gloves of the week. They dry in a few miles at highway speed.

For cold weather, you need "real" gloves, with good gauntlets. As Wessie mentioned, bonding of the liner to the outer shell is more important than you can imagine on long rides. My perfectly good alpine stars gortex gloves are only good in the rain, until I take them off the first time. . The fingers pull out. Can not put them on again until they dry.

For long cold/wet rides, I use two pairs of glove.

For warm I use a cheap pair of leather gloves with armored knuckles. When its rains enough that I care, I put on $15 dirt bike gloves.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Premium Member
If you do have the linings come out on a glove then use the clutch lever to prod it back into place. It's a faff but works. A pen or pencil works well, too.

The Alpinestars ST1 mentioned above are okay. Someone has said on another forum I frequent that the latest Alpinestars with the posh Goretex liners now have bonded liners so check reviews before buying.

I also agree with bob, that the fabric gloves are better in wet weather - for a start, they will dry overnight if you are away on a long trip. If you are in Italy in the Dolomites they will dry in 20 minutes after the rain stops.

I have a new pair of fabric gloves from a French brand I can't remember. They are comfortable but fortunately, I have yet to test them in proper rain. I will post a review once they get a proper test.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have 2 pairs of wet weather gloves, Held Air and Dry for warm weather as in the non waterproof section they only have perforated Kangaroo leather on the palm so plenty of air gets through. NOT cheap though.
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/99478

The cold weather option is Richa cold protect, loads of insulation but not the best for feel, both pairs are totally waterproof and high quality. I have had a couple of pairs of cheapo gloves that were not waterproof at all even though they should have been, one pair's seams started to fail after a week so I would rather pay for good kit these days.

I have 2 pairs of wet weather gloves, Held Air and Dry for warm weather as in the non waterproof section they only have perforated Kangaroo leather on the palm so plenty of air gets through. NOT cheap though. http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/99478

The cold weather option is Richa cold protect, loads of insulation but not the best for feel, both pairs are totally waterproof and high quality. I have had a couple of pairs of cheapo gloves that were not waterproof at all even though they should have been, one pair's seams started to fail after a week so I would rather pay for good kit these days.

Sorry for the slight hijack but how do you rate the air and drys?

I'm looking at picking up a pair soon and hoping they'll do well as 3 season gloves.

They've become my glove of choice, nice and cool but with insulation above your fingers (the goretex liner) and if it rains just take them off and back on and they're a lightweight, properly waterproof glove with a visor wiper.

Its only below about 10°c that i reach for the thicker richas, with the tracers hand guards there should be less wind chill than on the street triple.

Thanks for that. Seems I should get away with just them and my horrid winter things. Especially now my heated grips have arrived and as you say the hand guards may help.

I see a pair in my (hopefully) not too distant future!

• Premium Member
Thanks for that. Seems I should get away with just them and my horrid winter things. Especially now my heated grips have arrived and as you say the hand guards may help. 
use a pair of muffs and bin the horrid winter gloves. 
Tucano Urbano do some neoprene ones that fit inside the bars, or take of the handguards to use some larger ones

Review 

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Rev it gore Tex glove is my new go to glove for wet or cold or wet and cold weather. The inside feels like heaven. Has wiper on right index. Just a great all round touring or winter glove.
http://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=14702&gclid=CMP4sr2UjMkCFY49gQodVSsD9Q&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedStates

use a pair of muffs and bin the horrid winter gloves. 
Tucano Urbano do some neoprene ones that fit inside the bars, or take of the handguards to use some larger ones

Review 
During my recent touring in the Tibet region, I found that fleece-lined handlebar muff + light weight gloves worked best for me in cold/wet weather (even better than heated grip + heavy gloves). The large pocket of air inside the muff provided excellent insulation and the water repelling surface blocked wind driven rain and kept the inside dry. It was also the best option in term of cost as one can pick a pair up for the price of a pair of cheap non-waterproof gloves.  

Archived