Help a brother out:)

Ok- Hopefully someone here can help me out. I picked up a used set of FJR saddlebags and only one of them had a lock. I also purchased the yamaha topcase. I then purchases 2 rekeyable locksets thinking I could rekey and have all 3 keyed alike. They are all keyed alike now but I am missing one piece to the lockset. It is the black aluminum lock cylinder that goes to the saddlebag. The cylinder that comes with the rekey is for the topcase and is different. My only way of getting that piece from yamaha is to buy the 3 piece lock set which is 80 bucks. That is alittle too much to pay for one piece. 

The thing is- if someone buys the FJR or FJ-09 saddlebags they also have to buy the 3 lock set but only need 2 locks. So there should be at least someone out there with an extra one. I would be willing to buy it from you or I could trade you the parts you would need to rekey your other 2 locks to your engine key if you wanted. 
2015 FJ-09
2004 KTM 525

I have to ask you how your locks work? I just received my trunk but side bags still waiting on mounting hardware. When the dealer tried installing the one cylinder from my three pack if didn't work the trunk lock. The key only turns 180% to remove it. Of course the trunk from Yamaha needs a key that turns 90% and remove it. Did they send me the wrong locks?
Thanks, Mike

I have to ask you how your locks work? I just received my trunk but side bags still waiting on mounting hardware. When the dealer tried installing the one cylinder from my three pack if didn't work the trunk lock. The key only turns 180% to remove it. Of course the trunk from Yamaha needs a key that turns 90% and remove it. Did they send me the wrong locks? Thanks, Mike
From the research I've done, the top box takes a different lock than the side cases.  I have the lock that you can key to your bike.  From what I hear, you can use the left over pieces from that set to re-key the locks in the normal side case set too.  I've not figured out why they sell the side case locks in a set of 3 if the top box takes a different lock.  Annoying, I know.

your sort of in the reverse problem as me. The only difference between them is the black aluminum collar or cylinder that goes around the tumbler part. I have the one you need if you want to trade. I have the one for the top case but need the one for the saddlebags. They are different. 
2015 FJ-09
2004 KTM 525

I have to ask you how your locks work? I just received my trunk but side bags still waiting on mounting hardware. When the dealer tried installing the one cylinder from my three pack if didn't work the trunk lock. The key only turns 180% to remove it. Of course the trunk from Yamaha needs a key that turns 90% and remove it. Did they send me the wrong locks? Thanks, Mike
From the research I've done, the top box takes a different lock than the side cases.  I have the lock that you can key to your bike.  From what I hear, you can use the left over pieces from that set to re-key the locks in the normal side case set too.  I've not figured out why they sell the side case locks in a set of 3 if the top box takes a different lock.  Annoying, I know.
The top case comes with a tumbler that uses a shorter key but the tumbler from the 3 key set works- just put it in the topcase cylinder and it works. 
2015 FJ-09
2004 KTM 525

Thanks Root for your response.  I guess I will have to see what my dealer comes up with for now. Presently no side bags mounted and trunk locked on with tie straps.  Disappointed with Yamaha at this point.

Yea this was disappointing for me too. To me, when you pay that kind of money for the bags, don't you think the locks should come with it, I mean come on Yamaha, who is not going to put locks on their bags. On another note, do not run the Yamaha top box without it secured somehow. If you hit a bump, it is enough to unhinge the box clamping lever and open it so it will actually let the box fly off. This almost happened to me, as I was using it while I was waiting for my proper top box lock to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to Vespadaddy I now have working saddlebags. Thanks again.

To pay it forward a bit- If anyone needs the tumblers to rekey their cylinders I have a bunch of the tumblers and springs that would probably rekey a couple of cylinders. Just let me know. 
2015 FJ-09
2004 KTM 525

I'll take some of the #2 tumblers if you don't mind. I bought one of the rekeyable locks and planned to use the spare tumblers in the standard sidebag locks, but my key uses a large number of the #2 tumblers.

If you want to make it simple, you can send me all your tumblers. I'll take what I need and send them, along with all my extras on to the next person in line.

Even though I'm not ready to buy the side cases, I'll go ahead and get the locks for them right away to rekey them and send the tumblers on their way to the next person.  I'll be buying the side cases in a few months.

Archived