Anybody take their FJ to the track?

• Premium Member
Looking at doing a track day at Jennings GP this October, my first with the FJ. I'm a middle of the pack, intermediate pace rider; not quite ready to give up the track after trading in my Daytona. I may have replaced the OEM rubber by then with some Q3s, but was curious if anyone had:
1) taken theirs to a closed circuit with the Roadsmarts on, how'd they do?
2) have you had the 2WheelDynoWorks ECU flash?
3) did you remove the centerstand? 

Thanks for any input you can send my way.

If you're an intermediate paced rider, I would for sure get rid of the stockers and throw some Q3's on it (the best non-slick tire). You're going to out ride the stock tires and end up in trouble going at any pace you find fun.

Get the flash regardless if you do the track day or not, the biggest gain from the flash is that the throttle is completely smoothed out. So when you're mid corner and rolling on the throttle, its not going to jerk at all. You will accelerate smoothly out of the corner.

You should be fine with the center stand on. I have a friend that instructs on an FZ1 with the center stand and its never been an issue. You'll drag other parts before it becomes a problem.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Penguin...that's what I was thinking. I've been itching to upgrade the rubber for something a little sportier, so now I have an excuse!

Same thing for the ECU flash :)

• 2 weeks later...
I took mine to Autobon Country Club about a month ago. I rode in the novice class and the bike was plenty capable. At that time I only had the bike for a week and I was coming off a Buell firebolt. The Buell I could get off the seat really well and the FJ in the stock seat anyways I had a hard time getting off the seat. The brakes are way soft on this bike imo. The large parameter brake on the buell was intense compared to this bike. I had my suspension set too soft which did not help braking either.

I was concerned about the center stand as well and i roasted the tires fairly well and i never made contact. I am starting to think it will not drag as easily as it looks.

Archived