Good grocery getter

• Premium Member
This is the first time in years that I feel like I have a commuter motorcycle and a viable alternative to the car.  I'm not going to evangelize about getting rid of the car - it's 11 years old, has no resale value, and costs < $700 year to insure and register.  It can tow this motorcycle, carry cargo much better, and goes just fine in snow and rain (Subaru).  I'll be able to carry a whole bunch of crap next weekend to car camp without having to pick and choose or buy lightweight gear, unlike a motorcycle.

But...

For day to day use, the motorcycle is every bit as good.  Before I could commute to work easily.  Motorcycles even have better parking spaces.  Now with the saddlebags, I can run errands, too (except for locks - looking at you, Yamaha!).  Today I bought grass seed at Home Depot, groceries at Mall Wart, and even stopped for lunch.  Yeah, it was 95 degrees (F) today with a 103 degree heat index.  I'm ATGATT and I sweat a little, but I sweat just walking across the parking lot in heat in a t-shirt and shorts.  It's just my nature.  Now that I'm using the motorcycle regularly, I've also gotten a routine and fast enough that there is little time penalty compared to a car, even without lane splitting that I enjoyed in CA.

Preaching to the choir on this forum, but right now this is probably the perfect motorcycle for me.  It does many things and most of those very well.

(The helmet came in with me. Everything else stays on the motorcycle)

19458957668_888b1e9329_z.jpg

• Premium Member
The FJ is my first bike, but I bought it over others I was looking at for the same reasons you mentioned. It's carried groceries and other stuff too. It's turning out to be a great bike.

I'm loving my new FJ and take it out every weekend, I've put over 2500 miles on already in less than a month, but for commuting to work and running errands I still prefer my Kymco scooter, nothing beats a scooter for zipping around town.  Tires last forever, no chain to oil or sprocket to wear, much lower maintenance, 70mpg, little risk of tip-overs, and its nice leaving the FJ sit protected in the garage while the sun fades the Kymco sitting outside all day at work.  I paid $1200 for my (used) scooter 5 years ago and have ridden it to work every day since, when it goes I'll buy another immediately.

• Premium Member
I always love to hear about people using bikes (motorized or not) as primary transport. I'm getting back into the motorcycle commuting habit and it's great!

I commuted by motorcycle daily for years in California. Now that I live in western Oregon I'll have more rain to deal with in the winter, but I still expect to commute year-round.

I'm loving my new FJ and take it out every weekend, I've put over 2500 miles on already in less than a month, but for commuting to work and running errands I still prefer my Kymco scooter, nothing beats a scooter for zipping around town.  Tires last forever, no chain to oil or sprocket to wear, much lower maintenance, 70mpg, little risk of tip-overs, and its nice leaving the FJ sit protected in the garage while the sun fades the Kymco sitting outside all day at work.  I paid $1200 for my (used) scooter 5 years ago and have ridden it to work every day since, when it goes I'll buy another immediately.

http://imgur.com/1jIPQDG

Big and little sis, my car rarely moves I take the scooter everywhere..

Archived