Recall on semi rigid paniers sold in Europe

Seems like the locking mechanism isn't working properly and the cases can 'fly' off.

I've managed to lose one of the lock bolts holding the rail and a padlock, fortunately not a case yet!

The German site with the announcement

My dealer doesn't know anything about it yet, no doubt the letters will be in the post soon.

FYI Google translate:

Yamaha launches a recall for the saddlebags " Soft - ABS - side suitcase " for the MT - 09 tracer . The case can be solved during the drive from the bracket and fall without warning . The reason is , according to press release " the
Closing mechanism of the case , which can not be locked by an incorrectly selected internal spring .

• Premium Member
Seems like the locking mechanism isn't working properly and the cases can 'fly' off. 
I've managed to lose one of the lock bolts holding the rail and a padlock, fortunately not a case yet!

The German site with the announcement

My dealer doesn't know anything about it yet, no doubt the letters will be in the post soon.

Interesting. On my arrival in Beaune, France I noticed that on one case the lock bolt (that secures the case to the rear peg bracket) was loose. I was surprised but assumed that I had not locked it properly. No damage and it did not happen again.

Spoke to my dealer today and confirmed the recall. They said yamaha weren't contacting anyone because it's obviously only people who bought the side cases who are affected. I'd contact your dealer and get the ball rolling if you have them.

Phoned up my dealer this morning..... Stated knew nothing about a recall and suggested I call Yamaha UK.
Called Yamaha UK who stated an email has been sent to all dealers yesterday.
Dealer's are asked to check their records and contact all affected customers.
Yamaha called my dealer and reiterated this too them. Then yamaha UK called me back and said sit tight. Your replacement parts are on order for you and your dealer will call you on the next couple of days..... I'll not hold my breath waiting for them!

I checked with my dealer again today, Yamaha won't be sending out letters like they have with a recall on the bike. As it is an accessory the manufacturer does not have a record of who purchased the cases, it is for the dealer to contact the owners, if they haven't already contacted the shop.

Not sure what exactly what is being sent out, it could be just the spring or it could be a different lock, also they have no idea when the parts will arrive. I guess till then keep an eye on your cases and if you see something vanishing in your mirrors it could be your luggage :(

• 2 weeks later...
My locks arrived the afternoon before my Alpine trip, so will be fitted next Saturday. I did check the bags a couple of times a day - in my case though the bags were extremely hard to get off, didn't have that in Spain!

• 6 months later...
Im having these fitted next week ( yes, I know they leak and are a tad small but they are all I need currently and ive got a good deal on them - probably cos they leak and are a tad small  :)  ) 
anyway,to pre empt any problems,  ive just phoned the dealer who is providing / fitting them to make sure the recall work is done up front and even the service manager hasn't heard about the recall !! Im waiting for him to ring back after he's ' looked into it '. I could be here sometime going by their previous record of ringing back !!!!!!!! 

Archived