Dead Battery

I went out early Saturday morning to go for a ride. I haven't rode the bike since the previous Sunday evening. Turned on the key and nothing, dash board blank, no fuel pump noise. I put it on a battery charger for an hour and it started up. I went for a 30 minute ride and its been starting fine the rest of the weekend. Started and stopped it at least 20 times and no problems. I bought a battery tender and when I put it on it said the battery was at full charge.  I have the Led Knuckle guards and a silent alarm called Ghost alarm. The knuckleguard lights go off and on with the key and the ghost alarm is hooked directly to the battery as per their instructions. Maybe the alarm pulls enough to drain the battery over the course of 5 days, I didn't think that would be the case but I can't think of anything else.

Batteries are problems. Period. Some new batteries last forever, some go out the first month on a brand new bike. Your's could have been dropped at the factory, drops and bangs reduce battery life.

Or, you could have a short somewhere between the alarm and the battery?

I usually put lithium Ion batteries on all of my bikes. They last longer, have more power and weigh 1/5th of a stock battery.

Here is the Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 Lithium Battery for the FJ-09 for $179.95 at Amazon. It so much lighter than stock. Revzilla is sold out for at least a month. Only issues is in weather colder than 20 degreesF it cranks slow. But, I dont ride under 45 degreesF.

19a4-800*800.jpg

• Premium Member
You have done 2 electrical modifications to the vehicle. It's odds on that one of these has led to the flat battery. Either components or their wiring are leaking current somewhere or the battery was discharged during the installation.

I looked on the ghost alarm website and I could not find its power consumption.

If the problem reoccurs, then get the bike back to standard before you suspect the bike or battery. If the problem does not reoccur then maybe the battery was inadvertently discharged during the install. As the alarm is directly connected to the battery remove that first. See if the problem goes away.

If that does not fix the problem, disconnect the LEDs.

If the problem remains after removing the mods then come back for more speculation from the bevvy of armchair diagnosticians.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I think the alarm may be it, it hasn't functioned since the battery was dead.
aftermarket alarms are the spawn of satan - a Datatool alarm on my 1994 VFR750 was a proper PITA. I have not had an alarm fitted to a bike since. Fortunately, for the UK market we have vehicle manufacturers trained to fit an immobiliser as standard and the insurers are happy with this.  
I do have an alarmed disk lock made by Xena. This will let me know if anyone moves my bike in the garage so that I can hide under the bed until they have gone. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

I do have an alarmed disk lock made by Xena. This will let me know if anyone moves my bike in the garage so that I can hide under the bed until they have gone. 
(rofl) Made me laugh.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived