Egg smell at Break-in

darenu2

I just received my FJ over the weekend and I have about 200 miles on it. When stopped at a light today I noticed a rotten egg smell coming from the exhaust of the bike. I have completely followed the break-in schedule that was listed in the manual. Has anyone else ever had this issue or is it something I should be concerned about?

• Premium Member
Did you somehow get leaded fuel? That used to be a common smell back in the '70s and '80s when someone accidentally put leaded gas in a car with a catalytic converter.

I just fueled up my second tank and after the first ride after doing so, the smell surfaced. I used 91 octane ethanol free from a reputable station that gets a ton of business. That thought did cross my mind.

I just fueled up my second tank and after the first ride after doing so, the smell surfaced. I used 91 octane ethanol free from a reputable station that gets a ton of business. That thought did cross my mind.

I would take it back to the dealer. Mine had a smell but it was not eggs. It went away after a couple hundred miles.

• Premium Member
I still get the egg smell from time to time with 2 months and 3500 miles.  I had it with my WR250X from time to time even after 7 years and 12,000 miles.

Off topic, but do you notice the mileage accumulation difference?  12,000 miles in 7 years compared to 3,500 miles in 2 months!  That's 2 years of mileage on the old bike.  2 bikes ago, I put 75,000 miles on in 6 years.

• 1 month later...
Just finished my 600 mile oil change. Used Yamalube 10/40 as directed by my service director.

When I was pouring in the oil I noticed a strong Sulphur smell from the new fresh oil. Sulphur = a rotten egg smell.

I have used other synthetic motorcycle oils which were clear and had no smell to them at all. This could be your source of the Egg Smell at Break-in

Archived