New: Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III

Guest dmizer

Guest dmizer
After nearly 30000 km and a plug in the rear from a puncture, I was finally ready for a new set of shoes for my steed.

Since I do both extensive touring and daily commuting on my bike, I needed something multi-compound. I've ridden on both Dunlop Roadsmart II and Michelin Pilot Road 4 on other bikes in the past and really have no complaints about either. Unfortunately, the Dunlop Roadsmart II are no longer being produced so all that's left is what's currently in stock (at least here in Japan).

I've looked at both the Dunlop USA site and the Dunlop EU site, and I don't see my tire listed so perhaps this is an Asian or Japanese market only tire? Not sure, but here's the Dunlop Japan site for the tire: http://ridersnavi.com/catalogue/tyre/ROADSMART3/index.html

Essentially, it has the same compound and profile as the Roadsmart II with a different sipe pattern.

JcIw3Gx.jpg

I've just installed them and I have a 3 day road trip with a buddy starting tomorrow morning. Updates when I return.

• Premium Member
We will probably get them eventually. However, your Dunlop is a separate company to our Dunlop in Europe. Your's is owned by Sumitomo, whilst in US/UK it is owned by Goodyear.

I fitted a new rear recently and I was only offered the Roadsmart 2 tyre and my dealer is expecting to keep them in stock for some time. My OE tyres were made in Japan, the replacement is French.

I'm guessing, but I would think Goodyear buy in the Sumitomo designs for launch when their main French competitor, Michelin, brings out something new. I've always wondered why there aren't any Goodyear motorcycle tyres but the Dunlop ownership in the UK/US explains that.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
We will probably get them eventually. However, your Dunlop is a separate company to our Dunlop in Europe. Your's is owned by Sumitomo, whilst in US/UK it is owned by Goodyear. 
I fitted a new rear recently and I was only offered the Roadsmart 2 tyre and my dealer is expecting to keep them in stock for some time. My OE tyres were made in Japan, the replacement is French.

I'm guessing, but I would think Goodyear buy in the Sumitomo designs for launch when their main French competitor, Michelin, brings out something new. I've always wondered why there aren't any Goodyear motorcycle tyres but the Dunlop ownership in the UK/US explains that.
How are your Roadsmart 2 tires wearing Wessie? I also spooned a Roadsmart 2 tire on the back rim and it seems to be doing fine and handles fine also. Seems to have slightly slower turnin, but I also upgraded the suspension at the same time, so not sure what caused it.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
After nearly 30000 km and a plug in the rear from a puncture, I was finally ready for a new set of shoes for my steed. 
Since I do both extensive touring and daily commuting on my bike, I needed something multi-compound. I've ridden on both Dunlop Roadsmart II and Michelin Pilot Road 4 on other bikes in the past and really have no complaints about either. Unfortunately, the Dunlop Roadsmart II are no longer being produced so all that's left is what's currently in stock (at least here in Japan).

I've looked at both the Dunlop USA site and the Dunlop EU site, and I don't see my tire listed so perhaps this is an Asian or Japanese market only tire? Not sure, but here's the Dunlop Japan site for the tire: http://ridersnavi.com/catalogue/tyre/ROADSMART3/index.html

Essentially, it has the same compound and profile as the Roadsmart II with a different sipe pattern.

JcIw3Gx.jpg

I've just installed them and I have a 3 day road trip with a buddy starting tomorrow morning. Updates when I return.
Just checked, we do not get that tire here yet. Here is an interesting translation: 
3838922.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I've done approaching 2500 miles on the new tyre - seems to be wearing very well. Tread grooves still deep.

Turn in is slightly different - maybe the profile is a little different due to the thicker rubber? I seem to be leaning on corners more, especially roundabouts but not getting as close to the edge of the tyre. Annoying last cm of chicken strip. Perhaps as the diameter reduces with wear, the tyre will change profile.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I've done approaching 2500 miles on the new tyre - seems to be wearing very well. Tread grooves still deep. 
Turn in is slightly different - maybe the profile is a little different due to the thicker rubber? I seem to be leaning on corners more, especially roundabouts but not getting as close to the edge of the tyre. Annoying last cm of chicken strip. Perhaps as the diameter reduces with wear, the tyre will change profile.
Thanks Wessie, good to know. 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest dmizer
After my tour, I have nothing bad to say about these tires. They were planted and responsive. Superior to the OEM D222s on sketchy and/or slick pavement. While I was hard on the throttle exiting the turn, my riding partner was complaining about his rear tire breaking lose and was completely unable to keep up with my pace despite being on a liter+ super sport (Moto Guzi 1100 sport). On our previous ride he was either ahead of me, or we were equal.

So far, I'm really digging these tires.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dmizer
how is the "Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III" compared to the "PR4" in terms of grip and general feel?
Honestly, I can't really give a head to head comparison to PR4s because I haven't had them on this bike. I had them on a far heavier CB1300 with suspension so sloppy that I can only laugh at it now. I can't believe I put up with it for so long. The PR4s made the bike much more manageable (and better than the Roadsmart IIs), but it was still a pain to wrestle around the roads we have here in Japan.

However, I've been pushing the Dunlops really hard on the Yamaha and I still haven't experienced the limits of traction with the exception of hitting sand in the corners, and even then this bike is still planted. The front slipped and grabbed after the sand, and the TCS kicked in hard when the rear hit the sand. So, the tires are far more capable than I'm willing to push them.

Take the following video as a case in point. This is what my Japanese riding buddy dubbed a DFR (dmizer's favorite road). It's a narrow, single lane, debris strewn path over mountain passes and through canyons. Despite the amount of sand, rocks, moss, and standing/running water on the road, and having never been down this road before, I was still able to keep up the pace shown on the video while holding a conversation in both English and Japanese (Japanese is not my native language so it requires more concentration) and explain things that my riding partner didn't understand. At 2:39 after we emerge from the tunnel, my partner said that he couldn't keep up, so I actually could have gone faster.

Part of this is the bike, but part of this is the tires because I can push way harder now than I could on the D222s.

And what is the price difference between the 2 of them.
Negligible.

Hey dmizer, I have nothing especially useful to say about tires -- I've been extremely happy with both Michelin PR2s on previous bikes and the stock Dunlops on the FJ -- but I love that landscape in your video and have huge respect for those who can conduct conversations in second (and third) languages.

-Joe

I have been wanting to try PR4 for a really long time (it didnt have my size back then), there have been so much good reviews about them.

There has been so many new sports touring tyres coming out, pirelli angel st, bridgestone t30 (replaces 023), dunlop roadsmart. Ahh, dilemma!

by the way, i cannot find the information page on dunlop about roadsmart 3, or is it roadsmart 2 that you have fitted it on?

• Premium Member
I have been wanting to try PR4 for a really long time (it didnt have my size back then), there have been so much good reviews about them. 
There has been so many new sports touring tyres coming out, pirelli angel st, bridgestone t30 (replaces 023), dunlop roadsmart. Ahh, dilemma!

by the way, i cannot find the information page on dunlop about roadsmart 3, or is it roadsmart 2 that you have fitted it on?
as stated above, they are not on any market other than in Japan where @dmizer lives 
Also as stated above, Dunlop in Japan is not owned by the same parent as Dunlop elsewhere. Goodyear who own the US & European Dunlop rights would need to buy in the design from Sumitomo the Japanese parent. It will happen eventually. 

Guest dmizer
I seem to be leaning on corners more, especially roundabouts but not getting as close to the edge of the tyre.
I'm experiencing the same thing on the IIIs. It's like the tire has more to give, but I'm pushing much harder than I was with the stock tires.

• Premium Member
I seem to be leaning on corners more, especially roundabouts but not getting as close to the edge of the tyre.
I'm experiencing the same thing on the IIIs. It's like the tire has more to give, but I'm pushing much harder than I was with the stock tires.
Oh good. I thought I had started riding like a poof.

Archived