Multistrada 1000DS > C14 > FJ?

Hello. Nice place you have here. I posted this on ADV a ways back, but as my interest in the FJ has grown, I thought I might find more in-depth answers here. Thus:

In 2011, I was fortunate (and later, unfortunate) enough to acquire my dream bike: a 2004 Multistrada. It provided me with one year of total moto bliss. The seating position, the handling, the ENGINE, the Termis (oh, the @#$*&$% Termis!). Perfect for the rural roads of central PA. Alas, Ethanol is apparently Italian for "game over" and I had to cut my losses and move on. At which point I proclaimed "If Japan ever makes something CLOSE to the Multistrada, I must buy it."

At the time (2 years ago), Japan did not make that bike. So I moved on to an unlikely successor: a Concours 14. It is an incredible bike, and I really am enjoying it, but it doesn't do what the Ducati did.

Which brings me to the FJ. Extra cylinder notwithstanding, it seems to be very similar in mission and dimensions to the original Multistrada. I have not ridden one, but I have checked one out, and it seems like it just might fill the hole in my heart (well, except for the Termis). Any of you Niners have any thoughts on this?

This spring I traded in my 2012 Multistrada S for a FJ-09, the reasoning behind this is:
The Multi spent more time at the dealership than in my possession! The engine blow a main bearing at 9000km which required a bottom end rebuild on a 3 month old bike, at 11,000 they replaced the front cylinder when it didn't seem to preform the same after the rebuild. Multiply recalls, a ill advised factory race exhaust and deathly expensive service. After 2 years of that i couldn't take it any longer and the FJ-09 looked like it would ride very similar to the Multi, which it does. Not quite the same but for half the cost it's a great bike.

My 2 cents.

• Premium Member
I have no experience at all with the Multistrada or C14... But to me the FJ-09 is a sportbike for people who actually want to ride somewhere. The light weight makes it a joy in the twisties, the upright riding position is comfortable and commanding, and the motor... Wow! Real power at any RPM.

It's not perfect: the stock seat and windscreen are terrible, and an ECU flash is almost mandatory. But what bike is perfect, really?

Hi bbp. This is my first post as well.

I just bought an FJ 09 a few days ago and have about 150 miles on it. I formerly owned a multistrada 1000 SDS, and a multi 1200 touring among many other bikes. I loved both multis but for various reasons sold them. I have been moto less for the past two years. However, I recently decided to buy another bike and considered both used air cooled and water cooled multis but the FJ intrigued me as a similar machine with probable lower maintenance costs and japanese bike reliability.

After test riding one and really being impressed , and because I found a brand spanking new 0 miles red one for $8999 with no additional charges (except for DMV), I jumped.

I am very pleased with the bike. Let me tell you how it compares to my air cooled multi; my multi had a full termi kit (full exhaust, chip and air filter). The seating position is similar. I think the multi was a little taller but I find the seat on the FJ a little better and I also find less buffeting. I am very impressed with the manners of the FJ. It turns in as well as the multi and holds a line as well. I prefer the motor on the FJ.  The FJ is lighter.  The air cooled 1000s are fantastic but the FJ has a smoother and more powerful motor with a broader and as flat powerband. The multi brakes are firmer and perhaps have a little better feel. The place the FJ is inferior to the multi (with ohlins) is in suspension. The forks and shock are pretty poor in comparison with the ohlins. I am certain that I will do substantial suspension upgrades to the FJ because the suspension is the weak link.

The FJ also has somewhat snatchy fueling and I expect that I will install an exhaust and do a reflash at some point.

However, a full termi kit (at $3000+) is necessary on a modern ducati to fully realize their potential.   It is possible to buy an exhaust and a reflash for an FJ for less than 1/2 what it costs to tune a ducati.

In conclusion, I suggest you get a test ride. But I think you will be impressed with the FJ.

I expect it to be every bit as nice to ride as an air cooled multi with some more tuning.   And it will be less expensive to maintain and likely more reliable.  

Don't get me wrong, I loved my ducs.  All of my ducs were very reliable.  And they were very special to ride. But I'm really taking to the FJ.

Now if you want to talk about a water cooled multi, those are in another league. But I was wary to buy a used one because of their complexity and I didn't want to drop $25k on a new one with a full termi kit.

The FJ also has somewhat snatchy fueling and I expect that I will install an exhaust and do a reflash at some point.  
However, a full termi kit (at $3000+) is necessary on a modern ducati to fully realize their potential.   It is possible to buy an exhaust and a reflash for an FJ for less than 1/2 what it costs to tune a ducati.

Great review/comparison with the Duc Multi. I've wondered how it stacked up against the FJ. I considered a '14 Multistrada before I bought the FJ, but the price, maintenance, seat height, and did I mention the price, steered me towards the FJ.

I was able to get exhaust (M4 slip-on) and dyno tune for under $800, so half of $3000 won't be a problem no matter which exhaust you put on.

Thanks for the replies now, people. Yeah, the Multi 1200 is beyond my budgetary scope. Besides, no Ducati should have a beak. Ever.

Sorry to hear about your woes, mxracer. I had a similar experience, but yours was at a completely different economic level, for sure.

Testa, that is exactly the comparison I was looking for. Excellent. Interesting that you are a fan of Ducs and you prefer the FJ engine. That is telling. I like triples, so I'm sure I would dig the FJ. I guess my biggest concern is the ergonomic layout. No matter how long of a ride I was on with the Multi, I was never uncomfortable with the bike itself, but at the same time the neutral seating position combined with the chassis made it seriously agile. I always wished the carrying capacity was just a bit more robust, though, as my moto is a big part of my day-to-day transpo, and I sometimes have to haul a somewhat unreasonable amount of things. I think I can accomplish that with what's available for the FJ.

Going to my dealer tomorrow to scope things out. Hope to become part of the community here.

bpp, so far, I find the FJ very comfortable and I don't think that will change. I also find it very agile. It isn't as stable as my multis in bumpy corners but I think that is due to suspension differences, which can be remedied on the FJ. However, I really haven't even started exploring the capabilities of the FJ given that I've just basically been scrubbing the tires, varying RPM and engine load, bedding the brakes, getting myself used to the manners of the machine, etc.

I am in the middle of a week long ~2500 mile trip on my FJ9, it's first long tour.  I'm a pretty hardcore sportbike guy...  lot's of track experience, and my last touring bike was a Hayabusa.  I owned a Duc ST4S for a few years, so I understand the Ducati 'experience', LOL.  I also owned a VStrom 1k... there's no substitute for the noises made by a 90deg twin with good exhaust!

Out of nearly 30 bikes in almost as many years of riding, the FJ9 is the best all rounder I've yet owned.  the motor is an absolute jewel.  Torque everywhere, so you can easily lug it around, or you can rev it and let it howl.  Above 6k it just rips!

I have not had any problems with the stock seat, up to 600 miles in a day.  i guess there's a butt for every seat, and it works for me. I also find the stock screen to be just fine.  My VStrom was far worse.  I've been averaging over 50mpg since new, and I'm certainly no hypermiler.  I also don't have issues with the stock throttle mapping, but I put in a LOT of laps learning smoothness on track.

The stock suspension is the weak point.  It's adequate, but certainly not  up to what the bike is capable of.  Spending some $ on the suspension is likely in my future.  Even with the stock suspension it handles very well, and the light weight is delightful.  It makes time down unfamiliar roads better than anything I've ridden.  My only other gripe is the lack of factory cruise as an option.

One test ride sold me.  Don't ride it if you're not ready to buy one!  ;)

T

Archived