FJ-09 vs Versys1000 Comparison

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
Not a good review, and not a bad review here. What do you guys think?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Not a good review, and not a bad review here. What do you guys think?
The pros they listed on the FJ are the main reasons I got it. Lighter weight, low speed handling , awesome power and good leg room. That, and the FJ is significantly cheaper. It makes an even bigger difference for me that I can stagger the flow of money by buying the bike and bags separate. It was already a stretch for me to buy the FJ without bags. I was looking more in the price range of a leftover V Strom 650 which was still a little more than I wanted to spend. Lol. For me, it was just too big of a jump in initial price for me to give the Versys anything more than a passing glance. That's just my unique circumstances at this time. The Versys very well could be my next bike several years down the road, but for me right now, the lighter weight and lower cost makes the FJ the right bike. I thought it was funny they listed a con as "costs a lot more than a FZ-09". Does that mean a con on a Camery is it costs a lot more than a Corola? Seems as though they were grasping at straws to find that as a con considering it's $1,500 less than the Versys fully equipped. It's not surprising to me at all that a more expensive bike would have some areas it is better than the FJ. To me, if I didn't already own an FJ and know how good of a bike it is, I might be surprised it has some compelling advantages over the more expensive Versys.

• Premium Member
I read that comparo in the print version. It was brief and thin on detail but generally accurate IMO.

I started shopping with the Versys at the top of my list. But two things swayed me to the FJ:

* Price. Besides the MSRP difference, my local Kawi/Yam dealer was dealing on the FJ but not on the Versys. I got $1000 off on the FJ, but they wouldn't budge on the Versys.

* Weight. Bulk is never an advantage. It's a lot easier to fix the Yamaha's bad EFI mapping ($450 ECU flash) than it is to trim 75 pounds from the Versys.

I rode the versys 1k with bags and I was very impressed. The power was exhilarating and the weight was slightly more for a bike that seems more comfortable. For me it came down to the money and my local dealer wanted 5k more than what I payed for the fj09 for a versys 1k with bags.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have stopped caring what the press says about my new love. The FJ is a gem in the rough. I already knew the changes I would be making before I bought it (thanks to this forum actually!). I have done those things and love it!
I will always trade horsepower for weight. Shedding weight costs huge sums of money and is hard to do beyond pricey wheels and carbon fiber tidbits.

I'm a huge fans of triples (but have owned and raced twins and inline 4's), short wheelbases, light weight and the ability to easily fix flaws - the FJ offered all that. So I snagged the first red one I could get my hands on. My knees, which can no longer handle the Daytona's cramped riding position, thank me after every ride.

I can already tell I will have this bike for a long time!

Cheers
p.s.  I think it is sad that they consider having a gear indicator worthy of one of the bikes 3 plus'. 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
I have stopped caring what the press says about my new love.
Me too. With my suspension mods, I can't think of another bike I would want to include the Ducati Multi.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I wanted a lighter, more sport oriented bike with the upright riding ergonomics that I have come to prefer after having a Super Tenere, and my choice narrowed to these two bikes. I liked the Versys a lot and almost chose it. After more thought and another test ride, the FJ 09 won out and I bought it instead. Pro's for the FJ to me are the lighter weight, price, longer valve check interval, and (I admit I'm shallow,) looks. The FJ is a sharp looking bike; the versys looks better than the old 650,(I had one; good bike but homely,) but is still visually challenged.. I also had never had a triple before and wanted to see what the fuss was all about. 3000 miles later, and I could not be happier. This engine continues to loosen up with mileage and seems to keep getting stronger. With the light weight of the bike, it loves to accelerate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I test rode both. The Versys 1000 is nice but to me boring. Almost, "Goldwingish". Actually I also rode the 650 Versys as well and that bike is fun. But not nearly the bike the FJ is. If money was an issue and I wanted a nice commuter bike I would look hard at the Versys 650. It's about 8 grand and a good value. The FJ09 kept calling to me and I looked at allot of bikes. I feel very good about my decision.  I'm Counting down the days to delivery. It's awesome with all the farkles I had put on. The right tool for the job. If a fast bar hopper was in your plans, I would reccommend looking at the Indian Scout. 1183cc of pure fun! My intent with the FJ09 is some trips to the Carolina's and the keys. Rides like that. I'm very excited these days! Whoo! Hoo!!!
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I had a FZ-07 which was nimble and fun... I rode the Versys 1000 and thought... "lot of power, but no punch... comfortable, but wide like a couch". The Versys is a great bike if you were to take it on long tours. For an all around great bike, it's just to big. I rode the Versys and the FJ-09 back to back and what a difference. Versys was hard to get around in the twisties, but great on the open road. The FJ was great in the canyons and just as good on the open roads. If the windscreen on the FJ was better, it would make the bike so much better on the highways. I personally can't wait till National Cycle releases their new screen. It was no comparison between the Versys and the FJ... the FJ is just so much more fun to ride.

I missed this thread when it started, but I'll throw my $.02 in, since I got the opportunity to ride a friend's Versys 1K a while back...

I had also been considering the V1k, but they simply weren't available when I picked up my FJ9, so I only recently had the chance to ride one. The article is spot on. The V1k is smoother, and has a more planted feel. The front is definitely better, and I immediately had a lot of trust in the front end. But it's missing the telepathically quick handling of the FJ9. The V1k is heavier and feels it. The engine also didn't have the top end rush so characteristic of Kawis... felt more like an old Bandit 12. Lots of torque, but flat in the upper RPMs. 'Tuned for torque' ruins bike engines, IMHO.

All in all, the V1k is a nice bike, and will be a fantastic interstate cruise missile. However, if I had to compare it to the FJ9 in one word... "Boring". The FJ9 just makes me laugh out loud every time I ride it. You just can't argue with the light weight, great handling and that fantastic triple.

BTW, we did a top gear roll on from ~60 to ~110 (FJ9 limiter). I'm about 210 in gear, my buddy is around 250 in gear. Both had bags and top case. FJ9 slowly walked the V1K all the way to the limiter. The magazine tests disagree, but that was our real world result. :)

BTW, we did a top gear roll on from ~60 to ~110 (FJ9 limiter). I'm about 210 in gear, my buddy is around 250 in gear. Both had bags and top case. FJ9 slowly walked the V1K all the way to the limiter. The magazine tests disagree, but that was our real world result. :)
It would be interesting if you guys did the same 60-110 top gear roll on again and swapped bikes back to back.  I'm wondering what difference the ~40 lbs would make. 
That being said, I don't put too much stock in top gear roll on tests.  Each bike is in a different spot in the power band at 60 mph top gear.  4th gear will hit the speed limiter before it hits the rev limiter on the FJ and it will get you to the limiter much, much faster than 6th.  If I'm full throttle at 60 mph, 6th is next to my last choice to be in.  6th gear doesn't really get into the peak power band of the engine before it hits the limiter.  I'm much more likely to be in 3rd if I'm full throttle at 60 mph.

Archived