• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

600 mi maintenance check

illies17

So I got to 600 miles. I'm going to change oil and filter myself. How important is the 600 mile check up? Is it really necessary to take to a dealer for this stuff? Looking in the manual it's all pretty basic stuff they check it appears and don't do much other then oil change. Is it worth the money or am I missing something that really should be looked at by a professional at 600 miles?

• Premium Member
Don't they also check and tighten all fittings, synch TB, tighten chain?
That's subject to a lot of debate around here. Yes, they are supposed to do all that in addition to the oil & filter change. But the pricing really puts most people off. My dealer wanted to charge close to $300 for this service, so I spent $25 for the oil & filter and did it myself. Save receipts in case they want proof for warranty issues. You can all of it yourself, except the TB sync, without a lot of special tools. I even drained the oil through a white paper coffee filter to check for metal particles (zero issues) to be sure.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I took my bike in for it's 600 mile service just over a week ago and felt like it was a rip off to be honest. They changed the oil and did whatever else they did, but I'm not convinced they did the "fuel system sync" or whatever it's called in the manual. I didn't know what it was when I was there (and, honestly, wasn't sure if it had to be done at 600 miles or 4000), so when they said nothing needed to be done, I didn't push it. Anyways, that was a chuck of change that day.

With that said, this past week I had my bike apart so I could send the ECU to 2WheelDynoworks, so I picked up one of those gauges for the TB sync and checked the sync. It really wasn't hard to do and I think the gauge set me back $80-100. Turns out the TB's were in sync and I didn't have to make any adjustments, but at least I know that now.

In all honesty how likely is it for the TB to get out of sync, or some fitting to actually be lose in 600 miles? I know ideally it's better to be safe than sorry, but when money is a big factor is this stuff really all that common? Or is it a cover your ass policy for manufactures and another way for dealers to make money for the most part? And if I don't have a record of an official 600 mile check up would that give me warranty issues down the road if needed? Would they actually void a warranty because you didn't do the 600 mile check up? It's also an incredible pain in the rear to try and arrange dropping my bike off and picking it up at the dealer and I'll probably have at least 1000 miles on it by the time I did anyway haha.

• Premium Member
In all honesty how likely is it for the TB to get out of sync, or some fitting to actually be lose in 600 miles? I know ideally it's better to be safe than sorry, but when money is a big factor is this stuff really all that common? Or is it a cover your ass policy for manufactures and another way for dealers to make money for the most part? And if I don't have a record of an official 600 mile check up would that give me warranty issues down the road if needed? Would they actually void a warranty because you didn't do the 600 mile check up? It's also an incredible pain in the rear to try and arrange dropping my bike off and picking it up at the dealer and I'll probably have at least 1000 miles on it by the time I did anyway haha.
It may void the warranty if you cannot evidence the service was done - receipts for some oil and a filter is all you need.  
Not sure about the US, but in the UK the warranty could only be voided if the lack of service was a contributory factor to the failure. So, if the gearbox packs up they could say the lack of an oil change contributed to the failure. If the LCD display packs up then that would still be covered as the 600 mile service would have no contributory effect on the premature failure of the display. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I wasn't sure if the TB synch would make a difference, but it really did. My dealer charged $185, and the idle is smoother, and the vibes between 4-5K are greatly reduced. I think mine were off a bit from new, and since I had about 1,400 when my dealer had an opening to do the first service, it was needed. (I changed the oil and filter at 59 miles)

Isn't another concern whether a dealer is even going to sync the TBs? I wouldn't be surprised if doing so is the exception.

I'll be inclined to change my own oil, check bolts myself and buy a TB syncing device and do it myself when I feel like it. 

Guest branthopolis
If the Throttle Body Sync. reduces the vibration at 4500 as you say then I'm getting mine done soon. This is the only real sore spot I have for the bike.
In my case it significantly decreased vibration around 4500..  One cylinder was pretty far out of spec and the vibes between 4000-5000 almost had me thinking I'd made a big mistake..   It still has a slight vibe in that range, but tolerable and not hand-numbing... 

Guest branthopolis
Isn't another concern whether a dealer is even going to sync the TBs? I wouldn't be surprised if doing so is the exception. 
I'll be inclined to change my own oil, check bolts myself and buy a TB syncing device and do it myself when I feel like it. 
They'll do it if you ASK them to and PAY them for doing it..     I can't imagine any dealer is going to do the 1st service including TB sync for $100...          You've got the right idea though..  Get the right tools and do it yourself..  Save $$$ and know that the checks got done... 

I just did my 600 mile service. The bike is running great so no TB sync this time. Changed the oil to Mobil-1 15/50, K&N oil Filter. lubed the chain and nickel adjusted the clutch lever. With the Mobil-1 the bike shifts smoother and runs great. My dealer said he was going to charge me about $200. When I need to sync the TB's I'll buy the tool and do it myself.

I did oil change #2 today @676 miles. ( #1 was @95 miles )

I was just on here looking for input about the TB synch, seems un-needed but wanted to be sure.

I will change to syn oil at oil change #3 at 2k miles, then normal service intervals there on out.

Guest branthopolis
You'll usually know if a TB sync is needed because of drivability issues.. Vibration, unsteady idle.. that kind of stuff.. Per Yamaha's maintenance schedule you are supposed to check it on every service including the 600 mi... Big time overkill in my opinion, but the thought of potentially getting into a pissing contest with Yamaha over a warranty claim is pretty crappy too..

Archived