Dropped my bike... SW-Motech Crash Bars

Sean0262, despite all the misery he's been going through, kindly passed on this info to me last week. Well worth trying. A BIG thanks to a great guy
Sean wrote,
"STOP! Don't replace your case. Not worth the cost and work. This is what I did. Sand down the scrapes and scratches. Mask off parts you don't want to get over spray on. Go to Autozone and pick up a can of VHT paint #SP405, Black Pearl. I kid you not. It's an exact match. Spray on 3 light coats about 10 minutes apart. Let sit for 30 minutes then hold the can 18" to 20" away and lightly mist the last coat on. You'll never be able to tell it was dropped."

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean0262, despite all the misery he's been through going kindly through passed on this info to me last week. Well worth trying. A BIG thanks to a great guy Sean wrote,
"STOP! Don't replace your case. Not worth the cost and work. This is what I did. Sand down the scrapes and scratches. Mask off parts you don't want to get over spray on. Go to Autozone and pick up a can of VHT paint #SP405, Black Pearl. I kid you not. It's an exact match. Spray on 3 light coats about 10 minutes apart. Let sit for 30 minutes then hold the can 18" to 20" away and lightly mist the last coat on. You'll never be able to tell it was dropped."
Wow!  That's incredible.  I really appreciate the info.  I'm going to make that my Labor Day Project (if Auto Zone is open).  This forum is fantastic.  I read about Sean too, so unfortunate, I hope he is recovering well.

• 1 year later...
I Dropped my first bike (tmax) while rocking it off the centerstand.

I learned the hard way that when you come off the centerstand your steering better be straight on (steer to left and it falls the to right etc)

since then I have never dropped my bike rocking it off the centerstand and I use the centerstand very often.

hope this helps

That's a real shame why do manufacturers make crash bars that don't protect!  
I have fitted the givi crash bars they look like they may give more protection
Do the Givi's stick out further than the SW Motech? From the single photo of the Givi it doesn't look like they do. The Givi might protect the cover but perhaps allow damage to the tank? Can you lie your bike on the ground on both sides and take pics? :D 

Don't half as$ it. Push your bike over on each side and take a video of it for us interested parties. 8-)

Archived