KPH to MPH on the FJ

kore

Ok...here's the question...Canadian FJ-09.  I have read that I CAN'T change the speedometer to MPH.  Sounds like the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.  I can SEE the MPH on the display next to the KPH.  So, is it possible to change it???  Huge pain in the a$$ riding across the border and not being able to switch it.  My old Street Triple could.  Thoughts?

With the bike on (doesn't have to be running) hold the menu button down for a few seconds. I think it's in the "units" section. Use the page up and down buttons to navigate and the menu button to select.

• Premium Member
Ok...here's the question...Canadian FJ-09.  I have read that I CAN'T change the speedometer to MPH.  Sounds like the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.  I can SEE the MPH on the display next to the KPH.  So, is it possible to change it???  Huge pain in the a$$ riding across the border and not being able to switch it.  My old Street Triple could.  Thoughts?
This should help. Same menu for the FJR/Super10/FJ-09: 
[video src=https://youtu.be/CpEiBLL1VIw]

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Similar menu.  Under the Units options, though, I can only change from l/100km to km/l...no other options.  F'ing lame of Yamaha to do that.  Allow the US model to change from MPH to KMH...but not allow the Canadian version to do the opposite.  Dangerous, if you ask me...having to keep that always on your mind when riding across the border.  

• Premium Member
Similar menu.  Under the Units options, though, I can only change from l/100km to km/l...no other options.  F'ing lame of Yamaha to do that.  Allow the US model to change from MPH to KMH...but not allow the Canadian version to do the opposite.  Dangerous, if you ask me...having to keep that always on your mind when riding across the border.  
as @johan will attest, I didn't change my display to kph when in France and then matched the numbers on my speedometer to the signs on the road. It didn't seem to cause a problem and the locals seemed to adopt a similar speed. Swiss registered Mercedes seemed to adopt a x2 factor. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Been like that on all Canadian bikes forever; bikes with digital displays 16 years ago only in metric. 
Buy a set of US gauges for the bike and it plugs and plays, and can be switched from metric to imperial and back. 

Makes me angry.  The 2013 Triumph Street Triple R I just traded for the Yamaha allowed me to do it...easy peasy...crappy!!!   Oh well...find a US gauge, I guess.  

• Premium Member
Makes me angry.  The 2013 Triumph Street Triple R I just traded for the Yamaha allowed me to do it...easy peasy...crappy!!!   Oh well...find a US gauge, I guess.  
surely not too difficult to remember what the US speed limits equate to in kph? 
using a satnav with a speed reading might be less problematic, cheaper and overall, more useful than going to the expense of buying a new instrument cluster.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
On my Cali model, I can change from MPH to KPH. Maybe the Canadian models can not. Under menu, Maintenance, Unit, I have the option of KM or mile.
As you can see, KM is selected which pulls up a submenu selection for km/L or L/100km.

Oops, just read that this is already discovered. Oh well, here is a picture (crappy one at that).

20150719_135621_zpsco9s5xzg.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Mine looks exactly like that, except no km to mile...just the option below it....km/L or L/100km...
:-[dunno_zpsrbq3xdvb.gifSorry! 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
as @johan will attest, I didn't change my display to kph when in France and then matched the numbers on my speedometer to the signs on the road. It didn't seem to cause a problem and the locals seemed to adopt a similar speed. Swiss registered Mercedes seemed to adopt a x2 factor.
I thought the signs were in MPH? Oh well. I have not received any french letters since my return? Spent the weekend in Hungary. Their logic seems to be like this: Speed limit = 130kph, speedo over reads by 10%(13kph), the police operate on a 10% margin, so 130+13+(143*10%)=157kph indicated.

Archived