Hepco-Becker Junior hard saddlebags

• Premium Member
As much as I like the appearance of the Shad saddlebags, all of the horror stories everyone is posting about the USA distributor scared me off. Instead I ordered a set of Hepco-Becker Junior 40 liter saddle bags and FJ-09 mounting brackets from Moto Machines. I had been trying to decide between the Junior or Journey bags. The Journey bags seemed more likely to hold my helmet, but ultimately I preferred the shape of the Junior bags. They are very similar in shape and function to the BMW System bags I had on my old '85 K100RS. Those were great saddlebags, but these Hepco & Becker bags seem to be larger and more robust. Thanks to the low-exit exhaust the FJ-09 easily accommodates two 40 liter bags. There's no need to put a 30 liter bag on one side to clear a big muffler.

5DNtayq.jpg

Communication from Moto Machines was excellent, and the bags arrived just one week after ordering them. The only glitch was a mis-delivery by UPS causing the brackets to arrive a day earlier than the bags, but that is unfortunately typical of UPS in my area.  >:(

The brackets were easy to install. The instructions (English or German) were easy to follow and it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. Fitment/sizing of all parts was perfect. Most of the mounting bolts just have straight washers, so I added some blue Locktite to those fasteners. I recommend others do the same. 

rvjiNdC.jpg

LuSzDCl.jpg

Yes, the brackets really stand out there. But I plan to leave the bags mounted about 95-99% of the time, so I really don't care about the bracket appearance. There is very tight clearance between the rear locking latch for the bags and the FJ-09 turn signals, which makes removing the bags a bit awkward. Again, I plan to leave the bags on most of the time. 

dZMDKYS.jpg

Selecting the Junior bags was a bit of a gamble because I want them to be able to hold my helmet. Research suggests that some larger helmets don't fit in the Junior bags. But I'm in luck: My size XL HJC Symax helmet just fits inside the Junior bag.

Bq1CMQI.jpg

The bags appear to be about 2-3 inches wider than the handlebars. Oregon isn't a lane splitting state (yet!) but this is something to consider when passing through tight spaces. 

rEbXMjr.jpg

ZvvBEN3.jpg

Unfortunately I'm away on business for the next week, so I won't be able to test them on my commute until later. But so far I am very pleased with the easy installation and apparent high quality of these bags. 

Thanks for sharing these photos, your setup looks good. I have a set of the 40L Junior Flash bags on my CB500X, also ordered from Moto Machines, and I've been very happy with the quality and functionality.

If you have a passenger, I'd be curious to know if the bags affect their/your foot room?

Thanks for sharing these photos, your setup looks good. I have a set of the 40L Junior Flash bags on my CB500X, also ordered from Moto Machines, and I've been very happy with the quality and functionality. 
If you have a passenger, I'd be curious to know if the bags affect their/your foot room?

Typically, the passenger's legs will reach over, and sort of...drape over the front of the cases...like shown in this expertly created illustration: 
Iw8hE7N.jpg

• Premium Member
There appears to be plenty of clearance between the bags and passenger pegs. I almost never carry a passenger though... In fact I would remove the passenger peg brackets altogether if they weren't needed for the saddlebag mounts. My own huge feet hit the passenger pegs when I slide my feet back on the pegs for cornering.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
Update: Western Oregon has been deluged with 14" of rain so far this December, and I've been out commuting in it almost every day. I'm happy to report that these bags are indeed waterproof.

Now please, someone turn off the water!

Hey Keithu, youre a better man than me. I have been driving....

my last job was downtown Portland and parking was indoors so I would always ride. My newish job is in Beaverton and no coverage for the bike. I will man up once I get a lightweight cover for the bike.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived