Engine Shut Off

• Premium Member
Anyone experience a sudden UN-expected engine cut off while on the road at speed or slowing to a stop?
On separate occasions I have clutched in at speed (50-65) trying to figure out what the whining noise was and experienced my engine shutting off.

Yesterday, while riding with a group it happened when pulling up to a stop sign.  Clutched in again downshifting from 3rd to 2nd with no issues.  When the group rolled up to the Stop Sign I clutched in for 1st gear and the engine cut out. 

I never have a issue with restart but just find this odd and frustrating, temperature was in the 90's.

Chris

• Premium Member
It happened to me, just as I was accelerating to overtake, frightening. The motorist must have thought I was crazy. I realised that it was caused by me not fully turning the key - I think my gate remote which used the hang from my key obstructed it, so that I did not turn it to fully click on. Under acceleration it either turned slightly, or because of poor contact could not cope with the demand.

• Premium Member
It happened to me, just as I was accelerating to overtake, frightening. The motorist must have thought I was crazy. I realised that it was caused by me not fully turning the key - I think my gate remote which used the hang from my key obstructed it, so that I did not turn it to fully click on. Under acceleration it either turned slightly, or because of poor contact could not cope with the demand.
I was about to turn around to see if a Welsh hedge had jumped out in front of you and you reappeared in my rear view mirror
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
I did , happened to me while trying to accelerate in 2nd gear.
The bike was, very sudden, simply shut down, the whole system, no engine, no lights, no electricity nothing.

I stopped turned ignition key and like nothing happened.

It seems like a bug in Ignition switch , it does not properly locked, it is something dangerous and seems like recall needed. 
It is the first time it happened to me with European model MT09 Tracer with only 6000 miles.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
Sudden cut off / stall happened again yesterday.  Same scenario, rolling to a stop IDLE, clutch in and the bike cut off.
Wondering if I have an issue with throttle body sync.  Has anyone had this service performed at the dealer?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
same here.   It can't be the kick stand as it never happen on high gear even going over bumps.  so I would let Yamaha come up with an answer.
I put mine into the dealer with order of Yamaha headquarter to look into the problem.

all rider with this issue, please call Yamaha at 800 962-7926 ASAP, they need to know it is not only me to understand there should be a recall on it.

so far I am the only one who complain to them and it is not good.

• 4 months later...
I have experienced UN-expected engine cut off while on the road at speed or slowing to a stop many times. This problem is intermittent.  It is especially troublesome when it happens while filtering through rush hour traffic.

I have also experienced hard starting in warmer weather when ambient temperature is in the mid 80's and above. Hard starting in warmer weather happens like clock work.

I found this forum while I was researching these problems with my FZ-09.

• Premium Member
I had this stalling problem with my Street Triple R. The source was never definitively ID'd but the suspicion was throttle bodies. My engine would cut out usually when slowing to a stop with clutch engaged, and a couple of times on the freeway while slowing in traffic.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

It seems like a real problem in the MT09, which we must follow to reach a recall.
The only common thing I can think about on the 3 occasions it happened to, is very warm weather.

It is not only engine shut down, but simply all the electrical system went down, exactly like switching off.

I slide out of the road turn the Key to shut down, turn back and start like nothing happened,

It is pretty scary when you in highway trying to pass cars in crowded road.

Yamaha needs to find the reason before someone will find himself injured  or more.