Engine Shut Off

It is not a key problem I thought also at first, Yamaha even replace the switch kit, after 3 times the last with new switch and being 100% sure switch was fully on.

There is a problem in Motorcycle,  a lot of people experience that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I have never experienced this in 3500 miles on my 17. I also live in a pretty mild climate and seldom see temps over 85. Wonder if heat is the culprit as has been suggested?
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
I have never experienced this on my always garaged 2015 CA model with 12k+ miles riding in 40-95 degree weather (knocks on wood).

One of my Buells had a similar issue only when idling at a stop (idle = angry paint shaker) - turned out to be a bad connection inside the ignition switch. Replaced the switch, never happened again.

I would suspect ignition switch or maybe side stand switch. I feel like Ive read where someone else had a similar issue and it turned out to be a faulty side stand swith.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

We had a similar problem with the Yamaha VMax. Our difference was that it makes the bike die but you still have a headlight, dash lights, etc. On this, I'd go with the ignition switch but first I would make sure my main ground is good. OHM it out. That was also weak on the VMax and we had a cmember who made some and sold them. Anyway, I'd go the ground, ignition route. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bike started 1st touch of starter a couple of days ago. Today no start.  I have charged battery, even jumped to van but no ignition.  Not a heat situation but will be looking at injection system and side stand switch.

Problem solved???  Did another fuse check but found no burnouts.   Was looking at other posts and someone mentioned that the ignition switch might be at fault and he had to hold some pressure on switch to start.  Tried it and she started, and will start as usual at first hit of start button.  So no idea if it was a fuse connection or the ignition switch having a bit of dirt.

• Thumbsup 2